On dedicated truck guns - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-31-2019, 06:09 AM

I don't really get the "truck gun" idea. Since I carry on my person, why would I need to keep a gun in my truck? I do have one of the Nano Vaults attached under my seat for when I have to go into a prohibited place. I don't have window stickers advertising gun brands on my truck.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:01 AM

Sometimes people like myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
I don't really get the "truck gun" idea. Since I carry on my person, why would I need to keep a gun in my truck? I do have one of the Nano Vaults attached under my seat for when I have to go into a prohibited place. I don't have window stickers advertising gun brands on my truck.
We like to keep a long gun in our vehicle. This in addition to what we carry. Long guns tend to be a little inconvenient to carry, but are good to have close at hand.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:17 PM

Guns and vehicles can be secure. It just takes money and technology. Buy a large SUV, install the same vault in the back the swat teams use. Add the console vault. Pay your OnStar dues. Add an additional disabling theft system. Add a separate cell tracking device hidden with battery back up. Park it inside every night, never leave it farther than earshot of the audible alarm. You are good to go.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:28 PM

Depending on where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
Guns and vehicles can be secure. It just takes money and technology. Buy a large SUV, install the same vault in the back the swat teams use. Add the console vault. Pay your OnStar dues. Add an additional disabling theft system. Add a separate cell tracking device hidden with battery back up. Park it inside every night, never leave it farther than earshot of the audible alarm. You are good to go.
Extreme measures may not always be necessary. While it is a given that allowing firearms to fall into the hands of criminals is a crime in and of itself, codified or otherwise. Different localities would appear to dictate that different measures of securing firearms are in order. I can certainly speak to this myself. Most people have a hard time finding my house even when properly directed.

Your average miscreant will have a very hard time making their way out here. And if they actually manage to do so with the aid of artificial light. The likelihood that they will be able to cause much trouble is very remote. Just sayin.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:23 AM

"..guns and vehicles can be secure..." Not if they winch your entire vehicle into a trailer and drive away. I have had plenty of vehicles broken into (auto glass replacement is expensive) and I have seen enough cases where State and Federal L.E. agents have had entire vehicles emptied out while they were parked in their driveway. Including full auto weapons and destructive devices. Leaving a gun in a vehicle is NOT worth the risk IMO unless you are going to sleep in the vehicle.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:31 AM

Everyone’s situation is different. I am one of those who live in the boonies. I also work in typically extremely remote areas that have increasingly become more dangerous from crime. My company does not allow us to carry a weapon on our person, but we are allowed to have one in our company truck if we are a licensed CPL holder. So I have a handgun in my truck at all times for the odd chance that I come across a situation where I would need one. I even have customers who carry out in the boonies on their own property due to how crazy things have become. At home, my truck is in my locked garage, and anyone thinking they want to mess with stuff will first have to get past the dog. Again, a truck gun is not going to fit the bill for everyone, but for some of us it does.

NRA Life Member, Patron Level
Old 11-05-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingramite View Post
Uh, I've always used a key.

I think maybe you missed the part about maintaining custody of the weapon you are responsible for.
I thought stuff inside MY locked vehicle is maintaining custody?
If a firearm is in my safe in my garage and the safe is broken into, did I violate some custody rule?
Old 11-05-2019, 03:41 PM

I lived in a rural area when I was pretty young and I can remember everyone had a rifle hanging in there pickup. I don't recall them ever being used for self protection but there was a lot of meat taken home for the freezer. The reason you drove slow on those gravel roads was so you could watch for game. Well now If I have a gun close it's for self protection and I wont be leaving a gun in my vehicle. In Mo. carrying a concealed weapon into a place of business that doesn't allow CCW is a very minor deal. If the business knows you have it all they can do is ask you to leave. If you don't and they call the police it's a misdemeanor. You don't want to go into a government building like the P.O. or a court house though, they have detectors and no sense of humor. Other than that though, it's really a matter of how well it's concealed.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:45 PM

I want to put a back window gun rack

In my new 2020 Chevy High Country. But the damn metal around the window is covered with this or that of the interior pretty parts.
I have had one in the last 2 Ford Super duty trucks. But this one is going to be really hard to get to work like I like.
I carry a lever .22 magnum and a lever 30-30 in it. They look kinda funny laying on the back floor right now.
I also carry a nine mil in each door and one on my hip.
WHY you may ask? Because I CAN is the answer.
Anyone with enough Chevy knowledge to give an answer as to how too please do so.
Big Jim M
Old 11-09-2019, 04:16 PM

I had a console vault in my Silverado. It was OK. My Truck was a 2LT (bench seat) The vault went in the lower console, under the center of the front seat. I sold that truck, and give the vault to my brother in law. I've got an E&G Console Lock Vault in my Titan. My Titan has a full center console and bucket seats. The vault covers half the console, but leaves the other part open. I won't elaborate online about what I keep in there. The tray in the picture comes with it, but it's...not for me. I don't leave the key in the console either. LOL

Old 11-11-2019, 07:37 PM

I don't keep a pistol in the truck but I do keep a spare mag in the console. I have entertained keeping a rifle and even picked up a pro guard mounting system off eBay. It isn't finished yet, having to modify it to fit my rail but I had planned to mount it inside the trunk of my car. Basically the roof of the trunk. Problem I'm having now is I sold my car and bought a Tacoma and there is no where to put a rifle in it besides the rear floor out in the open. Under the rear seat storage is too small and behind the seat is too much plastic. I've seen cabinets that replace the plastic area behind the rear seats but you give up the middle seat belt and I have a full boat at least once a week so that's out...
Old 11-22-2019, 07:03 PM

I was a mechanic for my city for 25 years. as such, I know and have talked to a lot of cops. Every single one of them that I've asked say the same thing. The vast majority of stolen gun reports that they fill out, the gun was stolen from a vehicle.
Just last night on the local Memphis news they did a story about kids with guns. The MPD Chief said on camera that Memphis has a major problem with guns stolen out of vehicles and that's where many BGs are getting theirs.
As for the idea of just keeping a cheap gun in the vehicle, it still has the bad guy leaving with a working gun.
If there's a gun in my vehicle, its strapped to me.

Just some stuff to think about.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:52 PM

Are the cars locked? Where are they parked when the theft occurs? What time of day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2019, 04:55 AM

Truck gun.....

I have two vehicles, and I drive my car more often than my Dodge quad cab short bed pick-up.....my older 2004 Dodge truck doesn't get good gas mileage, and averages about 15 MPG around town. I mainly used it for pulling a 23' boat, and it has a Reese hitch and factory transmission cooler. I am no longer into boating, so I don't use the truck very often, unless I need to haul lumber or other things for my home projects. I did a lot of scuba diving and fishing at one time, and lived in Sebastian, FL. The boat ramp was a little over a mile from my home.....my 14 year old Dodge pick-up still runs great, and has 68K original miles on the odometer.....

I don't keep my truck inside my two car garage, since half of my garage is a workshop. I would not leave a gun in my truck since it would be two easy to smash a window and burglarize anything left inside..... Whenever I drive my truck, I am always carrying concealed anyway, so I don't feel the risk vs. reward of keeping a gun in my truck is necessary or prudent......

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 11-23-2019 at 04:59 AM.