Removing the drop safety on a SW 1911PD - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-07-2019, 04:03 PM

Removing the firing pin safety on a SW 1911PD

I have a Colt 1911 22 conversion, that I purchased new in 1974. I got tired of removing and reinstalling it on my only 1911, so I decided to buy another 1911, and use it for a training pistol.

I thought a S&W 1911PD, with the alloy frame would work well. I found one on the internet, and after asking around, I thought it should work. When I got it, the conversion would not work, because it has a firing pin safety. I checked with the people that have a 1911PD, and they said they did not have one on their 1911PDs.

I should have asked the owner for pictures of the top of the frame, and the underside of the slide. My bad.

I have kicked around selling it and looking for another one without a FP safety. I have also looked at the EAA Witness Elite 1911 Polymer, or another low cost 1911.

I am now thinking about removing the firing pin safety. Has any of you done that before?

Last edited by Indynick; 10-07-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:15 PM

If you are talking about the firing pin safety aka Series 80 in a Colt, yes I've removed one in my Colt Combat Elite XSE. Made it a Series 70 from Series 80. I used a TJ's custom shim from Brownells. Works like a charm. I removed the Series 80 levers and the shim takes up the space that the levers occupied so the hammer and sear doesn't move around. I've never seen a S&W with a FPS so I'm not sure the TJ's shim will work or not. The shim is pictured to the right of the hammer on my Colt Combat Elite XSE.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2222.JPG  
Old 10-07-2019, 08:10 PM

You are correct. It really is a FP Safety, not a drop-safety. No wonder I could not find any info, with my searches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 10:20 PM

The Smith firing pin obstruction is not like the Colt.
I doubt the common Colt shim will work.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
The Smith firing pin obstruction is not like the Colt.
I doubt the common Colt shim will work.

I can confirm that it will not work, completely different.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:13 PM
1911 Aficionado

Smith uses the Swartz firing pin block, designed by a Colt employee, ironically.
The Swartz system is deactivated by movement of the grip safety, rather than trigger movement as in the Series 80 system.
There should be one internal part in the Smith that need to be removed to allow function with the Colt conversion.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:46 PM

While the Smith firing pin obstruction is cleared by the grip safety, it differs from the Colt/Swartz. (Kimber is pretty close, though.)

Removal of the lawyer lever should not keep the lower from functioning and your conversion would clear.
If Smith would sell a spare lever, I would keep one stock and cut the other to clear the conversion while serving as a spacer.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:45 PM

Only have one S&W with that safety and have not tried to remove it. Based off the grip safety but otherwise not related to the Swartz. I think it was developed in house at S&W by someone named Molchek? Anway the bottom of the slides showing the plungers with a pre 80 Series Colt on the left. Then an 80 Series Colt. Next a Kimber which does have a close variation of the old Colt Swartz safety. On the right is a S&W.

And the top of the frames in the same order showing the lever or pin that presses the plunger upwards and lets the firing pin move forward.

Where only Kimber and I think Llama in its last days used the Swartz type mechanical firing pin safety the Colt Series 80 safety based off the trigger is used by other makers such as Remington, Taurus, SIG, Para, and others. Only S&W used or uses the S&W mechanical firing pin safety I think.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:02 PM
1911 Aficionado

Anywhere I can find a pic of the S&W system?
Googling didn't reveal anything.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:46 AM

I only have (and all I plan to ever have) two 1911's: a Kimber Eclipse Custom II 10mm, and a S&W 1911 .45 (set up to shoot .45 Super), both with grip-controlled firing pin blocks. I HIGHLY value that type of safety. That's the reason I bought those two particular guns.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Smith uses the Swartz firing pin block, designed by a Colt employee, ironically.
S&W 1911's with a firing pin safety use the Mochak firing pin safety designed by S&W employee Richard Mochak.

Quote:
Anywhere I can find a pic of the S&W system?
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6374526B1/en
Old 10-28-2019, 10:56 AM
1911 Aficionado

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:31 AM

I have never detail stripped my S&W "1911". I have also not shot it a lot. I bought a Commander size one new back in 2005 and the fired case is dated to Sept. 2004. It is a JRE serial number pistol. I did change out the grips; putting on a new set in Carbon fiber from Carbon Creations.