New Safe - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-24-2019, 05:43 AM

New Safe

Just bought a new safe and waiting for it to be delivered. It is a security safe and not a burglary or fire safe. It is Chinese made and is small for my handguns. It weighs 105 lbs. It is supposed to have 4 mounting holes drilled in the bottom and I am going to bolt it to my basement floor in what I call the "junk" room. The safe is a Protex HD-53 with an electronic lock. I debated about getting a safe with an electronic lock v a combination lock. Then, I saw a video about a safecracker who opened up a bank's vault combination lock in just over 5 minutes. I didn't spend much on the safe as I have an alarm system and all my guns insured on a Floater policy. I believe the burglar\s won't have much time in the house with the alarm blaring and police on the way and will look at the safe and might even try to move it but without success. I have 4 guns that I want to keep safe and maybe some of my wife's good jewelry. I hope I made the right decision in getting this particular safe but feel having any kind of safe is better than not having one at all. Your thoughts gentlemen?
"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle." Psalm 144:1
Old 10-24-2019, 08:00 AM

E-lock aside. I think you should seriously consider a quality safe.
Bolting down a safe that weighs less than a petite lady will help. Bolting down a well built safe is a better long term option and offers more protection.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 10-24-2019, 01:29 PM

Spend your money on a good RSC or safe, heavy is good, as is room for a growing collection.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2019, 07:41 PM

It sounds like it will keep kids out.

And maybe even a few far gone dope heads, good luck.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:30 AM

In my opinion the word safe is used, abused, and misused way too often. In fact the majority of gun security containers should never be called safes to begin with but then again those who sell them find they sell more when they call them something they are not and never intended to be in the first place.

Sounds like you purchased a metal container of some kind but for the money you spent and what it weighs there's no way and no how you purchased a safe. Bottom line is I hope yours is never tested because I have a feeling it wouldn't withstand very much.

Even with the alarm I know I would choose something better.

Last edited by Dddrees; 10-25-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:48 AM

Different Safe

Based on your responses, I have acquired a "burglary safe" B rated with a 1/2" steel plate door, a UL combination lock with reinforced drill plate and 1/8" thick body. I purchased a hammer drill and the appropriate masonry bits to install the safe. I paid about $167 more for this safe but feel it will secure my handguns while I am away from home. I have a good burglar alarm system and feel that the thieves would not spend much time in my home after breaking in and especially no time to mess with the safe. The safe is a Hayman Safe which is an American company. Thanks for all your input!
"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle." Psalm 144:1
Old 10-26-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWWhite View Post
Based on your responses, I have acquired a "burglary safe" B rated with a 1/2" steel plate door, a UL combination lock with reinforced drill plate and 1/8" thick body. I purchased a hammer drill and the appropriate masonry bits to install the safe. I paid about $167 more for this safe but feel it will secure my handguns while I am away from home. I have a good burglar alarm system and feel that the thieves would not spend much time in my home after breaking in and especially no time to mess with the safe. The safe is a Hayman Safe which is an American company. Thanks for all your input!
Good for you to take the advise.

My two Liberty safes are bolted to each other and the floor and wall. Inside a hidden safe room in my house that has reinforced walls and steel double dead bolted fire doors. My house is also alarmed, and my entire 11 acre property is fenced and gated. Plus I have a big dog, and Mom and Dad are always home next door keeping an eye on things.......I still worry when I'm away.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:02 AM

Additional back up to a dial safe...

I bought a WallyWorld gun safe with a dial combo. To augment this I had 2 massive W.German hasps that I attached to it with #8 hardened bolts/nuts. I then put 2 keyed alike huge American padlocks on it. The idea is to slow them down. I worked in NYC Corrections for 20+ years, if a thief wants it they'll take it but they want to be fast. Slowing them down helps.