Unusual CMP 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-15-2019, 10:15 PM

Unusual CMP 1911

Hi, my friend just received this 1911, Colt slide, Remington frame. The frame was made in 1943 but the Colt slide looks like a commercial replacement. If you look on the frame it has a post war "BH" mark that looks like an Austrian Army mark. Any opinions would be appreciated, Mike

Post War p38:
Attached Thumbnails
P38 Austria.jpg  
Old 10-15-2019, 10:47 PM
Administrator

I can't comment on the BH marking, but the slide is an early 1950s Colt unit sold to the government under contract for use as spares. As you suspected they were basically commercial slides pulled from production, sandblasted and given a Parkerized finish. They can be identified by the horizontal machining marks that were not polished out like a finished commercial slide would be. They were among the first "hard slides" to be used, are very durable, and for a shooter-grade 1911 about as good as you can get.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 10-15-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:39 AM

The Austrian military proofmark ("BundesHeer", IIRC, or something like that) is found on M1 Carbines, in particular, and has been reasonably well researched and documented. However, no English publication has researched the topic for 1911 collectors that I am aware of but it would be reasonable to assume all of the US Government small arms supplied to the Austrian military and law enforcement units would have most likely all been stamped with the BH proofmark.
{Deutsche Waffen Journal 15, 1992, the French language edition-published an article on the subject. Apparently DWJ publishes some material in French, but I don't know the exact details. The article is (in translation), Police Handguns in Austria in the Immediate Post War Period, by Wolfdieter Hufnagel. Austria received two shipments of 45s. In 1950, the national police force was reconstituted, and armed by the US. They were organized as a paramilitary force and their equipment included 1911A1s. In 1955, the Austrian Army was reconstituted: Equipment came from the US, France, and Great Britain. The US furnished enough equipment to equip three divisions, including again 1911A1 pistols}
All of the small arms were eventually returned to the USA and some obviously made their way back into the US Military supply system. Kinda of a neat history story if you ask me. My old unit had a number of pistols with the BH stamp and IIRC one of the three 1911's I was issued and carried for OIF deployments had a BH proofmark. The BH was stamped in the exact same location on the frame; the Teutons are nothing if not precise. I might have a pic of that pistol if I can dig it up.

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/Bundesheer.html

Last edited by shooter5; 10-16-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 09:35 AM

A few of the 1911s at my old unit that have the "BH" stamp.
Attached Thumbnails
FJA with BH.jpg   2002812a w BH stamp.JPG   842156a w BH stamp.JPG   948476a w BH stamp.JPG  
Old 10-16-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter5 View Post
A few of the 1911s at my old unit that have the "BH" stamp.
Hi, Thanks, Mike
Old 10-16-2019, 03:24 PM

The rearmament of the austrian Gendarmerie was initially kept secret by the french, british and US parties. The US financed it with a $ 100 000 000 funding that transferred through a french bank to elude detection.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:16 AM

That is a postwar stamp, and FWIK that "BH" mark should belong to the Austrian Army.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter5 View Post
The Austrian military proofmark ("BundesHeer", IIRC, or something like that) is found on M1 Carbines, in particular, and has been reasonably well researched and documented. However, no English publication has researched the topic for 1911 collectors that I am aware of but it would be reasonable to assume all of the US Government small arms supplied to the Austrian military and law enforcement units would have most likely all been stamped with the BH proofmark.
{Deutsche Waffen Journal 15, 1992, the French language edition-published an article on the subject. Apparently DWJ publishes some material in French, but I don't know the exact details. The article is (in translation), Police Handguns in Austria in the Immediate Post War Period, by Wolfdieter Hufnagel. Austria received two shipments of 45s. In 1950, the national police force was reconstituted, and armed by the US. They were organized as a paramilitary force and their equipment included 1911A1s. In 1955, the Austrian Army was reconstituted: Equipment came from the US, France, and Great Britain. The US furnished enough equipment to equip three divisions, including again 1911A1 pistols}
All of the small arms were eventually returned to the USA and some obviously made their way back into the US Military supply system. Kinda of a neat history story if you ask me. My old unit had a number of pistols with the BH stamp and IIRC one of the three 1911's I was issued and carried for OIF deployments had a BH proofmark. The BH was stamped in the exact same location on the frame; the Teutons are nothing if not precise. I might have a pic of that pistol if I can dig it up.

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/Bundesheer.html
I agree that the B H mark is Austrian. It is found on carbines and a few Lugers, I have one. It was the widely used Soviet and European way to "hide" the origins of the weapon in question.

We supplied the Austrians, and many other countries like China, with weapons wartime and post war and many are so marked.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:25 PM

I was about 13-14 at the time and my father was an ordnance Major assigned to the Northern half of West Germany from early 1956-1959. He was what they called a Military Assistance Advisor. He worked solely with the Germans and frequently took me on trips throughout his "zone" which went as far north as the Danish border and south to the British zone vicinity Hannover.
Dad was fluent in German (spoken in the home growing up) and advised newly formed (November 1955) Bundeswehr (German Army) units as they created their arsenal network while simultaneously destroying stored caches of Wehrmacht weapons and ammunition. I distinctly recall meeting former Wehrmacht officers, recently minted Bundeswehr officers, equipped with and wearing USGI 1911/A1's and Bundeswehr soldiers guarding facilities while carrying M1 Carbines.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:55 PM

Looks like a wonderful pistol that you can actually shoot.

Very nice score!
Old 12-01-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired AF CE View Post
Looks like a wonderful pistol that you can actually shoot.

Very nice score!
Hi, I shot this recently an got great accuracy. It shot and functioned flawlessly. It came with a commercial magazine. The CMP must have ran out of GI magazines, regards, Mike
Old 12-01-2019, 11:37 AM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog1 View Post
The rearmament of the austrian Gendarmerie was initially kept secret by the french, british and US parties. The US financed it with a $ 100 000 000 funding that transferred through a french bank to elude detection.
Is that collusion or bribery? Asking for a friend.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Is that collusion or bribery? Asking for a friend.
This was done simply as to avoid the USSR barking at the rearmament of Austria.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filson View Post
I was about 13-14 at the time and my father was an ordnance Major assigned to the Northern half of West Germany from early 1956-1959. He was what they called a Military Assistance Advisor. He worked solely with the Germans and frequently took me on trips throughout his "zone" ...
Nice story. Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mike View Post
Hi, I shot this recently an got great accuracy. It shot and functioned flawlessly. It came with a commercial magazine. The CMP must have ran out of GI magazines, regards, Mike
Range results is what matters. Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:03 PM

I think your friend got a good gun. It's a documented Military gun (CMP paperwork) he should enjoy it. I would!