1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-14-2019, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Odd P-35 stoppage

I had a strange malfunction yesterday. After having shot several training scenarios with my P-35, I started another drill and got off only one shot. The pistol was about 3/16th" out of battery. I ran the slide, ejecting the round (which I assumed was the problem), but the next round up did the same thing.

I stopped and cleared the pistol and it still would not go into battery. I attempted to field strip the pistol and, with the slide stop removed, the slide would not come off the frame. We finally got the slide assembly off by exerting considerable force in pulling it off the frame.

Nothing looked broken, bent, or strange. I removed the recoil spring & guide and the barrel. The slide, minus these parts, would go on the frame and move back and forth normally. With the barrel and recoil spring & guide installed, the slide would not go all the way onto the frame.

There was a small blob of dirt/carbon goop on the upper inside of the slide, just to the rear of the radial locking lug cuts, I brushed it out of the pistol and everything went back together and the pistol functioned normally.

Evidently, the blob of dirt was keeping the barrel from rising up fully into locked, in-battery mode. This was also causing it to be difficult to pull the slide off the pistol.

I've shot P-35's quite a bit over the years and had never encountered this. Also present was a fellow forum member with lots of experience with the P-35, a Canadian who ran a P-35 extensively in IPSC (he was sponsored by the Canadian military), and good friend and pistol expert Rick Miller (who diagnosed the blob of dirt as the culprit). None of them had ever seen this sort of malfunction in a P-35. It just goes to show that, if you shoot enough, you'll encounter some oddball things.

The P-35 in question had the issue barrel, no "tightening" or accuracy work. The malfunction was a show stopper and could not be cleared by the shooter. The lesson here is to make sure the surface of the slide that contacts the top of the chamber end of the barrel is nice and clean before going in harm's way with a P-35....although slipping in the shower and breaking one's neck is probably more likely than having this malfunction.

Rosco

Last edited by Rosco Benson; 10-14-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:21 AM

That's very strange malfunction indeed. What's even stranger is why the slide assembly would not want to come out. If I understand correctly, the dirt was gathered between the barrel and the slide. If this is the case, there is no reason for the slide assembly to get stuck.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

I think that this was due to that same blob of dirt. Since the barrel couldn't rise fully up into the locked position, I think the barrel's bottom lug just couldn't quite clear the locking shoulder in the frame. Since the dirt was somewhat compressible, when more force was used to yank the slide off the frame, the dirt compressed, the barrel went more into battery, and the slide came off (I doubt that it was fully in battery, given the force needed to remove it). I am even more convinced that this was the case given that the pistol reassembled and ran normally once the blob of dirt was removed.

Rosco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 08:02 PM

Hi, what kind of ammo were you using? regards Mike
Old 10-15-2019, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

115gr FMJ ball-equivalent reloads. The ammo wasn't the issue. The rounds that failed to chamber were not bulged or oversize. They fed and fired normally after the pistol/dirt issue was addressed.

Rosco
Old 10-15-2019, 11:13 AM

Just goes to show that anything made by man can and will fail, sometimes for the smallest reason. This is the reason why I tear down, clean, and lubricate my pocket carry pistol each and every week. A little bit of dirt, fluff, fuzz, sand, or pocket lint has the ability to bring things to a halt.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:13 PM

Just now saw that you posted about this, Rosco.

Gang, I was that "fellow forum member" mentioned in the OP. My only contribution was getting the slide/barrel off of the frame, because it had to be done at some point. Guess that squished the dirt/lead blob kind of flat, and then the slide went forward and off the front as normal.

Rosco is right, I've never experienced, seen, or heard of that stoppage is a P-35 before. Neither had the Canadian military guy. But after Rick spotted the crud in that spot, it all made sense.
"If you decide to carry a pistol, you will have to dress around it, not just try to fit it into your wardobe"---BillD, 03/06/07 @ 09:42 e.s.t.

MINO: 'Money Is No Object'. Feel free to steal that one, everybody!