Harbor Freight $20 lock box. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-24-2019, 09:21 PM

Harbor Freight $20 lock box.

Anyone use that Harbor Freight lock box? It's big enough for a 5" 1911 & has a cable you could fasten to somthing. Fasten it to the frame on the seat of your vehicle if you had to go into a no gun zone such as the post office. They look nice.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
Anyone use that Harbor Freight lock box? It's big enough for a 5" 1911 & has a cable you could fasten to somthing. Fasten it to the frame on the seat of your vehicle if you had to go into a no gun zone such as the post office. They look nice.
So I've been looking for a box to lock up my gun in the car. Sometimes I'll run into the store real quick, and carrying isn't what I want to mess with. Or maybe while I'm at work, where carrying isn't allowed. Either way, a lock box just makes sense for me on certain occasions.

Then when I read your post, I checked the harbor freight coupon data base. It's on sale for sixteen bucks. Since I had to go to hf anyway for something else, I decided to give it a try. First observation, the lock looks just a bit cheap, yet serviceable.

Stopped by the locksmith/safe sales place on my way home. I was looking for a better type of lock for this box. They carried the liberty brand box, but unfortunately no locks to fit the other box. The boxes were very similar. So I compared the two side by side. The harbor freight box definitely wins in the sheet metal thickness category. As well as the retention cable thickness. But the liberty box wins the rest. Better feel, fit & finish. Better foam, better lock. The liberty uses a barrel key. The hf has a cheaper flat key.

The hf box is regularly twenty bucks. The liberty is twenty five. Actual prices before tax. Seventeen, and twenty three, respectively. Although the hf box is just a tad bigger, I'd still recommend the liberty. That extra thickness probably wouldn't amount to much difference in the time it'd take to force it open. They both have an anti pry lip around the inside of the rim.

But realistically, if the liberty were twice the price. I'd probably give the edge to the hf box. It's really that close. If you could get a better lock, and foam, there'd be little reason to pay for a higher priced one. But since I have a use for two of this type of box. And twenty five isn't a bad price for one of these. (I was at bass pro a couple days ago, and a similar box was over thirty bucks). I went ahead and got the liberty also.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:35 PM

I have two of the HF boxes. I have one in my bedroom when the grandkids come to visit my bedside gun gets locked up until bed time. a 6 year old probably won't defeat the lock and honestly that is the only reason for the box in my bedroom. The cable is wrapped around the foot of my headboard so they won't be walking away with it. The one in my truck the cable is secured around the seat rail. I need to stress that I don't have either box for long term storage. Just for that quick entry into a Post Office or bar for a beer with a friend. When traveling through a state where my CCW permit isn't valid it would satisfy most states requirements for being locked up. For the price it works for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 08:04 AM

For vehicle use I mounted one of the Mini Vaults made by gun vault under my back seat in the truck. I can reach back blind and key the code. Front opens and firearm is accessible. I can't always carry, especially in a courthouse setting...
Old 08-17-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth07ex View Post
The liberty uses a barrel key. The hf has a cheaper flat key.
Huh. I bought four of the Liberty gun boxes six or seven years ago. Mine all came with flat keys; I ordered them all keyed the same, so I only needed to carry one extra key.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:16 AM

As a locksmith I can tell you that in this application flat or barrel key does not matter. These boxes prevent a smash and grab type of attack.

Believe it or not I can pick a barrel key faster than a cheap sloppy wafer style lock .
Old 08-27-2019, 08:31 PM

In my case, it isn't about how fast someone could pick this lock. A few good whacks with a hammer, or a prybar. Let's face it, if anyone has a couple of minutes, they're probably going to be able to defeat the box. But for me, its about this barrel key being the only key of this type on my keyring. That would cut down on the time it takes for access. Access time is why I prefer a combination lock of some type. But this thread isn't about those.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX302 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth07ex View Post
The liberty uses a barrel key. The hf has a cheaper flat key.
Huh. I bought four of the Liberty gun boxes six or seven years ago. Mine all came with flat keys; I ordered them all keyed the same, so I only needed to carry one extra key.
They've changed to the barrel key now. And according to customer service at Liberty, they don't offer keyed alike. Neither do they sell extra keys. I had the same idea about a single key. Liberty suggested a locksmith.