S&W Pro Series 3" compact 45 extra springs? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-27-2019, 09:46 AM

S&W Pro Series 3" compact 45 extra springs?

I just picked up a new 178020 Pro series compact, was looking for something light for carry but 1911 format. It came with two extra flatwire springs in the box but no mention of them in the manual. They are slightly longer than the one in the pistol. A call to customer service yielded nothing, they said it was an engineering decision, engineers don't answer the phones, no one here knows why they are there or what weight they are I did a quick search of threads and didn't see anything. However an email did yield this:

Dear Frank,

The Compact 1911 in .45ACP uses flat springs in the recoil assemblies. We provide two extra recoil springs due to the nature of spring wear from the short slide and the velocity of the 45 .ACP round

He did not mention the weight of the springs, but it looks like it just a cut down normal 1911 flatwire spring with the one open end.

I tweaked the leaf spring slightly to reduce the very hard grip safety activation, but other than that it was dead on at 15 yards with both ball and my light 200 grain coated LSWC bullseye loads, cycled both flawlessly, and at 25 yards even in pretty poor lighting on a black B27 target standing unsupported, I shot a decent group with it for as tiny as it is. I'm measuring about 4.5 pound trigger pull, overtravel stop was set correctly.

Only issue I had with it was removing the thumb safety, they did not properly crimp the plunger spring to keep both of the plungers captive(yes it shot the safety end accross the floor when I pulled the thumb safety, and they also had not crimped the spring in the middle slightly to keep the entire assembly from shooting accross the floor when the thumb safety is removed(yes I shot it accross the garage a second time....) so I fixed that.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190826_225255378 (1).jpg  

Last edited by burkefj; 08-27-2019 at 09:53 AM.