Why are shooters going "gangsta style"? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-08-2019, 06:58 PM

Why are shooters going "gangsta style"?

When I'm bored, I watch YouTube vids, often gun related. I've noticed many videos featuring both police officers and non-police adopting the "gangsta style" pistol grip. In other words, gun in strong hand, supported by weak hand, but canted anywhere from 30 to 90 degrees toward the weak hand side. I'm not seeing that in IDPA matches, nor in YouTube vids from various firearms training schools. I'm a certified pistol instructor, veteran, and long time competitor myself, and never remember this technique in any of my training.

Is this the result of the influence of Hollywood, video games or what? Is someone actually teaching this style, and I'm just behind the times on the latest shooting fads? Is this maybe the result of reliance on pistol mounted flashlights? What gives?
Old 03-11-2019, 07:47 AM

Add "hold the gun up above line of sight while firing" to that.

I guess if you're not going to bother with the sights anyway, why not?

A film student once told me that the "hold the gun by your face" thing was part of film school, where they were taught to keep all the "dramatic elements" in the same frame, and "drama" also required zooming in, so they simply moved the gun closer to the actor's face. It's stupid enough that I believe it...

There's a thread here: https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...hotograph.html with a picture of a man purported to be an undercover cop menacing the photographer with his gun held sideways. As far as I'm concerned, holding your gun like that would be an absolute "no matter what I'm saying, I'm not an actual police officer."
Old 03-11-2019, 07:54 AM

Shooting a handgun "gangsta style"

Quote:
Is this the result of the influence of Hollywood, video games or what?
Probably is..... However, shooting at very close distances (under 15 feet or less) doesn't necessarily require perfect sight alignment, and effective hits can be obtained by point shooting as long as a person still has good trigger control...

I have made demonstrations when shooting at 7 yards, without using the sights. I would wrap black electrical tape around the front sight, then draw from the holster and fire at a 7 yard USPSA or IDPA target by indexing/pointing the gun. As long as proper trigger control is maintained, it is quite possible to get very good hits at close distances.

However, the greater the distance, or the smaller the target, it is more important to have very good sight alignment....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019, 07:59 AM

There is an oldish video by Jerry Miculek about that strange way of shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1jx1TOzxrE
Old 03-11-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank in Arkansa View Post
Is this the result of the influence of Hollywood, video games or what?
Yes. Pop culture makes for poor instruction.

I cant my pistol inward a little when shooting weak hand only, but nothing remotely "Hollyweird OG" style.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 03-11-2019, 10:36 AM

I suspect some of the more recent examples are exaggerations of the "Center Axis Relock" style of shooting that John Wick often uses.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:37 AM

Strictly Hollywood "Gangsta" crap. If you wanta be a tuff guy you gotsta be cool....or at least look cool.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:27 AM

The goal of this technique is highly dependent on whether the shooter is Right or Left handed.

For the Left handed shooter, the goal is to place a 5 gallon bucket nearby and to fire such that ejected cases land inside the bucket. It's very popular in hand loading circles.

The goal for Right handed shooters is to see how many hot cases one can catch in the hood of his/her "hoodie". It was found that perfecting this technique results in far less "evidence" being left at the crime scene.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:47 AM

Stupid-wood gangsta style shooting is a way to shoot. Everyone knows what the hit rate is though.

I was watching some u toob vids of PD shooting suspects, one guy, looked to be a younger PD guy, had some very good pistol control, left handed shooter, he shoots the driver and then as more PD show up he's got his trigger finger up on the slide yelling at the driver to put down whatever he had. Appeared to be excellent pistol control.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastjv View Post
I suspect some of the more recent examples are exaggerations of the "Center Axis Relock" style of shooting that John Wick often uses.
^^^I truly believe it is this!^^^

I think there has also been an uptick in sales of skinny black neckties.
Colt CCO, Colt Officer's ACP, Springfield LWT Compact compensated .45, Springfield LWT V10 Ultra, Springfield LWT Compact Night.45, Kimber Super Carry Pro, Kimber Ultra .40, Kimber Combat Carry .40, Sig P220 Compact SAO, Beretta 92C, Caspian/Fusion .38 Super LWT Officers Hybrid Comp'd, M&P PC ported.40 CORE, M&P 2.0 Compact .40, S&W 65-5 3", S&W 625-6 Mtn Gun.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:10 AM

"And Mr. Wick, do enjoy your party"
Old 05-21-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I'm a certified pistol instructor, veteran, and long time competitor myself, and never remember this technique in any of my training.

They turn it sideways to get it out the half-opened window during drive-bys.

Muscle memory, don'tcha know...
Old 05-28-2019, 11:35 AM

Center axis relock is a bit of a gimmick (all respect to the late Mr. Castle), but it could have been a contributor years back. A mild cant of the weapon isn't uncommon or frowned upon for dynamic shooting, nor is it bad thing. Something different entirely than "gangster" grips. As a career LE firearms instructor, there's no rule that the weapon has to be perfectly level, though more than a little lean towards the shooter's centerline would normally only be indicated for one handed shooting, or for situations where shooting around an object/barricade made a holding a weapon sideways work better. We see more problems from cadets trying to keep the gun perfectly level while leaning and firing from behind cover than from cadets holding the pistol at a slight angle during a given course of fire.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:45 PM

Holdin' sidewayz is cuz da blast from da glock .40 be hard ta hang on da beotch.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:12 PM

Huh.
All this time I thought it had something to do with "shooting it just like it came out of the box". Laying on its side.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:44 AM

They do it for good reasons.

Know how the bullet drops when you hold the pistol upright? Well, if you hold is sideways you can use that to your advantage and "bend it like Beckham" in order to shoot around corners.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:13 PM

I’ve seen it more often at the local range. There is a style of shooting that uses elements of an angled gun known as CAR or central axis relock. As mentioned above, John Wick has really brought it to the forefront of a lot of amateur shooters who wanna be different and cool
Old 06-11-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Why are shooters going "gangsta style"?

Because they haven't taken a Vicker's course?

That, and their aftermarket sights....

Old 06-11-2019, 07:40 PM

What I've heard... and tried out... Canting the pistol inward (to the left for a righty) engages the forearm muscles a bit more and is for use when shooting one-handed. The angle should be anywhere about 25-40 degrees depending on the person. It's weird at first, but for me at least, it seems to hold the pistol more steady.

If you're canting the pistol when shooting two-handed, you've been watching too much John Wick, IMO.

Psalm 144:1