California: Duncan v. Becerra; high capacity magazine ruling WIN - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-04-2019, 09:41 PM

Ban is back on starting 5pm Friday.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...of-5pm-friday/
Quote:
The ban on possession of “high capacity” magazines will not be enforced while the case is argued and decided, but California residents will not be able to buy them after 5:00pm tomorrow.
Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; 04-04-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:44 PM

I would strongly advise anyone who bought magazines.

Between 3/29/19 and 17:00 on 4/5/19. I would make certain to keep your receipts, or some other time stamped proof of purchase for them. With Newsome and his band of Hoodlums running the show over there it could get ugly.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:50 PM
Administrator

+1. I also think a lot of guys are going to be staying up late tonight ordering mags for overnight delivery, hoping they can squeak through.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:18 PM

Give then take back, take back more be aware of gift givers we’ll never be out of the woods.

They banned the bump fire stocks? Did anyone tell them we can bumpfire with no special stock?

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 04-05-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1desertrat View Post
A stay has been granted to basura pending appeal. Now on to the fools and puppets in the 9th circus to reverse the decision, as I said in my original post.

This will be dragged out for years on appeal, after appeal, after appeal etc, all the way to the Supreme Court.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laytonj1 View Post

Jim
LA County hasn't enforced this ban in 5 years.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Adminstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laytonj1 View Post

Jim
Strange. Just strange.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:29 PM

Sounds like a good time for some responsible civil disobediance.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:30 PM
Adminstrator

Sounds to me like someone got to that judge.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW McVay View Post
Iím convinced you are spot on. What a chicken crap thing to do.

NRA Life Member, Patron Level
Old 04-05-2019, 03:07 PM

I'm not so sure - seems to me that the judge knew that the case was going to go to the 9th anyway, so he made a tactical move and salvaged some protection for Cali folks in the same order.

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 04-05-2019, 03:27 PM

Everyone, even vendors, should just ignore it, as if it simply does not exist. problem solved.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:12 PM

One or the other for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I'm not so sure - seems to me that the judge knew that the case was going to go to the 9th anyway, so he made a tactical move and salvaged some protection for Cali folks in the same order.
Somebody either got to the judge. Or he is more savvy and pro freedom than we realize. Interesting times we live in for sure. I hope that people have been taking advantage of this window of opportunity.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I can remember multiple times when either a judge or politician ruled/voted in our favor, then soon changed their mind and reversed their decision. We simply don't know who's behind these power plays. All this talk about how powerful and manipulative the NRA is, yet it appears the antis have got some pretty powerful people working behind closed doors as well.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:18 PM

Andy C is exactly right.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:08 AM

Had the judge not issued the partial stay sought by the CA AG the appeal could have gone to the 9th. Which may have put the entire ruling on hold, including possession, rather than just the selling.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Exactly.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1desertrat View Post
Andy C is exactly right.
Agree. He carefully worded that a Californian had to, in part, "buy" a magazine before April 5th 5pm. Possession not included in the requirement.

Thus orders accepted but not processed are still legal. There are statements that the Department of Justice of California is requesting the delivery entities to stop packages containing magazines from getting to their California destinations, however the idea that Fed Ex, UPS or the USPS are going to x-ray or open up their packages to see what is in it because of a "request" - not a court order is pretty laughable, at least at this time, to me.

Online retailers were still accepting orders up to 5 pm yesterday. I am guessing that processing payment via credit cards will be the evidence that contracts were formed and thus proof of a "buy" will exist.

Another Judge could have ruled possession was required and thus the bulk of the orders that had not gotten to the buyers - could have been considered illegal.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I can remember multiple times when either a judge or politician ruled/voted in our favor, then soon changed their mind and reversed their decision. We simply don't know who's behind these power plays. All this talk about how powerful and manipulative the NRA is, yet it appears the antis have got some pretty powerful people working behind closed doors as well.
A lawyer once told me lots of things happen in the corridors of the courthouses throughout the country. Deals made, deals renegotiated, pleas retracted... etc.

These judges are in a courthouse full of other judges. I would venture to guess all his liberal buddy judges gave him dirty looks in the hallways and un-invited him to their regular Sunday afternoon golf game. Just my simple guess.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:04 PM

Lots of FUD was on going last Friday. Store clerks were telling people that DOJ requested delivery services to stop packages with magazines from getting to their destination after 5pm that day. (As if they were going to x-ray and open suspected packages via a "request" rather than court order - what a load of feces.)

This news report was just completely wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=7V0fvL2kPkY The order said "buy" not "possess" and the idea that you could not use a legally owned item is complete BS.

The liberal media in California is disgusting.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
NOBODY got to the judge.

First and foremost, most judges have respect for the process. When they know there is going to be an appeal they will often issue a "stay" to give time for the legal process to move forward. Sometimes this works in our favor and sometimes it doesn't. Remember...this law was supposed to go into effect a year or so ago and it was "stayed" to give the pro gun groups time to bring forward their challenge in the first place. That time it worked for us.

Secondly...and most importantly...Judge Benitez knew that if he didn't issue a stay, that some 9th Circuit liberal douche judge would issue it. It's far better for Benitez to issue it so he could ensure that we were protected and that's exactly what he did. He wrote the stay to ensure that all of those people who bought, ordered, manufactured, etc., mags during this period could keep and use them, and not be turned into criminals or have to surrender them. That is huge! And we likely wouldn't have gotten that if he had let someone else write it. The man is a genius and a patriot.

Further, everyone who knows anything about this case and California knew that this decision was going to be short lived. It was guaranteed to be stayed and subsequently appealed. It is also highly likely that the 9th will overturn Benitez's decision. Because that's what the 9th does. And then it will be appealed to SCOTUS.

So hope that SCOTUS agrees to hear it and hope that Ruth...di...errr...leaves...and that Trump get's to appoint one more justice before then.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:01 AM

And if nothing else, it was one hell of a week! I gave away some mags to recent trades since it was legal, gave some to friends, and gave the rest to my wife and son. They let me use them occasionally.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:22 AM
Adminstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
NOBODY got to the judge.

First and foremost, most judges have respect for the process. When they know there is going to be an appeal they will often issue a "stay" to give time for the legal process to move forward. Sometimes this works in our favor and sometimes it doesn't. Remember...this law was supposed to go into effect a year or so ago and it was "stayed" to give the pro gun groups time to bring forward their challenge in the first place. That time it worked for us.

Secondly...and most importantly...Judge Benitez knew that if he didn't issue a stay, that some 9th Circuit liberal douche judge would issue it. It's far better for Benitez to issue it so he could ensure that we were protected and that's exactly what he did. He wrote the stay to ensure that all of those people who bought, ordered, manufactured, etc., mags during this period could keep and use them, and not be turned into criminals or have to surrender them. That is huge! And we likely wouldn't have gotten that if he had let someone else write it. The man is a genius and a patriot.

Further, everyone who knows anything about this case and California knew that this decision was going to be short lived. It was guaranteed to be stayed and subsequently appealed. It is also highly likely that the 9th will overturn Benitez's decision. Because that's what the 9th does. And then it will be appealed to SCOTUS.

So hope that SCOTUS agrees to hear it and hope that Ruth...di...errr...leaves...and that Trump get's to appoint one more justice before then.
Brilliant deduction 3 days after the fact.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbutthead View Post
Lots of FUD was on going last Friday. Store clerks were telling people that DOJ requested delivery services to stop packages with magazines from getting to their destination after 5pm that day. (As if they were going to x-ray and open suspected packages via a "request" rather than court order - what a load of feces.)

This news report was just completely wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=7V0fvL2kPkY The order said "buy" not "possess" and the idea that you could not use a legally owned item is complete BS.

The liberal media in California is disgusting.
Funny, UPS and the like work on time-frame of days, whereas such request by Fed probably takes a week to get going.

The only time I saw quik-acting package interception while package was en-route was the 2010 Transatlantic Bomb Plot where plastic explosives were placed inside laser printer toner cartridges and put back into the printer, and agents intercepted the packages as they were be loaded onto the planes headed to the US. But these were two very specific items in very specific locations. I can't imagine its possible to stop a large # of UPS packages using last-sec requests. This is a known risk in the domestic terrorism realm.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:50 AM

It is a real shame, what is going on in California.

I am looking for them to attempt secession from the Union. Watch for it when the president gets reelected in 2020.