PT1911 Hammer problems - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-19-2017, 10:38 PM

PT1911 Hammer problems

I'm having an issue with my hammer on my PT1911. It seems that while firing the gun, a lot of the time, the hammer will only fall to the half cock position. Therefore not striking the firing pin. Has anybody else had this problem? Very frustrating
Old 09-20-2017, 08:53 AM

Is there an over travel screw in the trigger ? If there is, turn it out (counter clockwise) 3/4 of a turn and see if that helps.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:37 PM

plan sending it on vacation to Miami or hope you have a good 1911 smith that can look at it for you. The taurus 1911's are 80 series and there may be crud built up that is partially acting as a hammer block. You can field strip it, cock the hammer and pull the trigger while dampening with your thumb to see if it's at least cycling correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemkr40 View Post
plan sending it on vacation to Miami or hope you have a good 1911 smith that can look at it for you. The taurus 1911's are 80 series and there may be crud built up that is partially acting as a hammer block. You can field strip it, cock the hammer and pull the trigger while dampening with your thumb to see if it's at least cycling correctly.

Converted my series 80 to 70
Excellent Trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2019, 06:08 AM

I agree adjust the trigger. Backing the screw out a small amount will keep the sear out to clear the half caulk notch. A little can go a long ways.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:33 PM

Convert the Taurus 1911 series 80 to the series 70 All problems solved

Old 03-23-2019, 03:06 PM

Trigger problems

Is this a problem that just showed up?
If so first clean and lube your pistol
THe trigger travel screw can move over time, so adjust in small increments like a half turn at a time till it wont work. Then adjust it back out till your trigger functions again, then back out one half turn again. Also add a tiny amount of blue loctite to prevent it moving again.
About the series 80 to 70 conversion
This is quite simple. Remove the firing pin stop in the slide, the. Remove the firing pin saftey plunger, and spring.
Remove the two small series 80 levers(next to the hammer) replace with a shin you can find on the internet. To get the correct size just mic the lever next to the hammer. Typical is .057. Polish the side next to the hammer.
Now install sear, hammer, disconnector, and spring.. slide mainspring against spring and test for saftey function. Adjust as needed
Takes a little time, there are several videos on how to do each part on YouTube.
Yes more work, but well wirth it
I now have a much better trigger pull.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:41 PM

Series 80 to 70 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by compositesguy View Post
Converted my series 80 to 70
Excellent Trigger

I just received a message about an additional comment on the forums, and you say the conversion from series 80 to 70 solved your problem, and you now have an excellent trigger. Im glad this worked out for you. I did so many changes to my pt1911 that it is crazy. Every internal has been upgraded, and with each came chalanges and learning. Like I just replaced my factory trigger (steel ) with a Ed Brown match. The original trigger had so much play(trigger bounce) that I kept getting different readings for pull weight. Now the new trigger solved that issue.
Just a note I figured out a way to save $$$ to go from an inexspensive spring loaded scale to a digital scale. I purchased a digital luggage scale from eBay, and used the original arm off of the old scale by attaching it to the new digital scale. I now have a digital scale that cost me about $10.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:21 AM

I removed the trigger and deburred the trigger bow. Expanded the bow to remove slop and lubed with graphite