Flat Top W/Serrations - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 01:52 PM

Flat Top W/Serrations

On a 1911 they sort of look cool. Wonder if the money to have it done is worth while? Thoughts
Old 12-04-2019, 02:13 PM

I'm particularly fond of that look - it's the classic Gold Cup-type appearance (sorta, kinda). Not sure if it's worth the cost of having it done, though. It's strictly a personal taste/desire thing, I suppose. For me, I don't think I'd do it to an existing gun. For what it's worth, however, the S&W E-Series pistols come with this already done. Really sharp looking.

108411_06_lg_1.jpg

Caveat: if you're having a pistol built, then yes, I think I'd include it.

Last edited by havanajim; 12-04-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:14 PM

I like them. When I ordered my Wilson Combat I made sure to have it done. To me it was worth the money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2019, 03:29 PM

If your tastes run to the traditional/historical, I'd keep it unaltered.

But this modification does add a certain flair to a 1911. It has a certain aesthetic appeal, without being ostentatious or excessive. And one can always claim some (remotely) plausible functional benefits under certain lighting conditions ... although I've yet to find this occasionally cited benefit to be really convincing.

I have 1911s with this mod and 1911s without.

After many years, I can say that I like them both, and I still don't have an overwhelming preference one way or the other. But I am glad that I have examples of both in my collection.

Just me, but since I like both "looks", I would not alter a previously built 1911. But for specs on a new build, I might slightly (very slightly) lean towards selecting this mod, especially if I'm envisioning a 1911 that scores higher in the realm of aesthetics.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-04-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:39 PM

Not all flat top serrations are created equal.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:00 AM

If one is having a gun "Built" to spec we think serrations should be seriously considered as they are attractive even if not very practical. Here's a couple of examples from the past. The hard chrome gun is a vintage Hoag that has a S&W style red ramp front set down in the slide which is flattened and serrated. The blued slide guns are both by the late Dave Pegram and feature serrations that flank the silver soldered front sights.

People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.

Last edited by Ricky T; 12-06-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:21 AM

I don't know of any functional purpose top slide serrations serve. You can't see them when shooting the pistol. That said, I do like them and have had them done on some of my 1911
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA Custom - Top Slide.jpg (142.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Valor 9mm Curtis Hamblin 029.JPG (340.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-07-2019, 01:30 AM

This is a very subjective thing as this feature is mostly about the aesthetics. I don't care for the look so I wouldn't spend the money on it, given the choice. YMMV.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:41 AM

Personally I prefer them. My Dan Wesson isn't and when compared to my Wilson Combats which are makes me wish it did. For me it just looks better.

The rest are traditional but this one is a slightly different look. At first I was worried it might be a bit much but in person it looks pretty good. It's on a Wilson Combat X-TAC
Attached Images
File Type: png Wilson Combat XTAC E.png (122.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-17-2019, 03:13 PM

I think initially the thought was it would break up glare during bullseye shooting which is why Colt did it on the GCNM and blue GCTs. Below a couple of GCNM MkIV Series 70s. On the left one from 1979 and then one from 2015. On the right is a GCNM MkIV Series 80 "round top" from 2012 for comparison.

I think it also looks good like on my DW Bruin in 10mm.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:02 PM

If undecided --

Planning ahead for a nice collection, I think I'd opt for at least one 1911 without ... designed with a nod towards the clean simplicity of the original WWI 1911. And at least one other 1911 with slide top serrations...and perhaps with any other "refinements" that appeal to the buyer.

Both should bring pleasure in their own style.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-17-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:30 PM

I’m like a donkey between to bales.....like and have both.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:52 PM

One of mine is traditional, the rest have serrations of some variant.
I guess that says something...
Old 12-17-2019, 09:29 PM

I have several Wilsons with the serrated top and several other options that I prefer. But the last gun I bought was a rather plain Jane 5” CQB that I bought used (thanks Rick) that I am really liking the traditional look it has. It does have the round butt mag well that I consider a required option.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 12-18-2019, 07:48 AM

I have two (names anonymous....LOL) with serrated tops and the rest traditional. I could part with the two serrated and never look back. The rest, I would never sell.

The work done by top smith's is amazing, I just never warmed up to it on my guns. At the risk of being accused of being boring, it just isn't functional for me. Anyone like cleaning all those tracks? Ha!

Your gun, you should do what you want!

Have a great day.......
Old 12-23-2019, 07:35 PM

I actually find the serrations to be somewhat functional. I have a .45 ACP Colt Defender that I had serrations milled into the top of. I've noticed when shooting this pistol that as the muzzle rises during recoil my eye is drawn along the serrations back to the front sight. I think the serrations assist me in realigning my sights somewhat quicker at least with this particular pistol.