Progressives? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-07-2020, 11:57 PM

Progressives?

I made 100 45acp rounds today - in an hour and a half.
That's about average I get from the Lee Classic Turret press.

A couple of friends have Dillon 550s.
(my friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends)
They claim up to 400 an hour.

Put the prices for new progressive hardware leave me reeling.

Is it possible to find a good press used for less?
Ebay doesn't think so.

Where else to look?
Old 07-08-2020, 01:14 AM

Progressives?

1) Janice Joplin your not
2)DILLON
3)pay once cry once
I have an older 550b, like you I tried to justify the cost difference.When my wife(of all people) stepped in and said, which one is the best for what you want
(I really hate it when she's right)
YES the the Dillon costs more (even used like I bought) but their warranty is,bar none, the best. I bought used,and had some small parts missing and/or worn out, called their customer service number, explained I had purchased a used 550b(fairly old model) and told what I needed. I was told"no problem we'll have them out next day" 3 days later they were on my door step.
okay they have my loyalty.
since than I've probably spent enough with money with Dillon to have bought two other brand x or y presses, and have done so with a smile
I really hate it when my wife is right
Old 07-08-2020, 01:27 AM

Progressives?

Just to add,don't trip on 'how many per hour'.you need to focus on every single round being loaded right, remember your loading an explosive that's going to be 1 1/2 ft. away from your face.
once you get comfortable with EVERY round is loaded right, than worry how many.
remember 'slow is smooth,smooth is fast'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2020, 01:35 AM

Progressives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
Is it possible to find a good press used for less?
Ebay doesn't think so.

Where else to look?
I imagine, at this time, much like how finding guns, bullets, powder, and primers, used reloading gear is probably hard to come by. Dillon currently warns of a 2-4 week delay.

Demand appears to have outstripped supply. Whether itís jitters from the pandemic, the election, the civil unrest, or (more likely) all of the above in various amounts... it seems waiting is the order of the day.

For what itís worth, though, 100 rounds in an hour is quite a bit better than I managed out of the Lee Hand Press. Things can go slower! The important part is enjoying it and being accurate and safe.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:20 AM

Reloading an "explosive..."

Quote:
remember your loading an explosive that's going to be 1 1/2 ft. away from your face.
Precautions should always be used when reloading, and IMHO, safety glasses or prescription glasses to correct vision is a good thing to use.

Most modern handgun powders do not explode, and if a jug of powder is in a house fire, it will simply burn very hot. It won't explode since their is no pressure to contain the gas released when powder burns.

Primers are more volatile, and care should be taken. Primers give off a spark once the anvil of the primer is struck by the firing pin hit of a handgun. If a primer somehow gets seated incorrectly when seating them during reloading, there is the potential the primer will go off, and on some reloading presses, may cause the entire primer tube of primers to go off.....most good progressive presses use a steel tube around a smaller primer tube as a safety measure. If the primers go off, the steel tube will direct the gas and primers upward and away from the shooter. Many years ago, I had a small amount of primers in the primer tube of a Star Reloading press "go off" when seating a large pistol primer....somehow the primer got crushed and "boom!" Scary, but no damage to my face or hands.....I did have to change my underwear right away!!!

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 07-08-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:52 AM

I found mine (RL550) locally for $150 about 15 years ago when they were about $450-500 new.
It sat for 8 years before I even touched it. Dillon took care of me with a leaking powder measure issue. Didn't charge me, but wanted the old one back.
I don't load that fast, but single stage would kill me. I don't enjoy reloading like a lot of people.
I also own 5 MEC Grabbers so reloading on a progressive was not a big deal for me, and it turns out very uniform ammo.

Jim
Old 07-08-2020, 06:28 AM

I can probably do 100 rounds in an hour on my Rock chuker, not that I care. I enjoy loading, I'm not in a big hurry to get done. I have been contemplating a turret but with the Hornady die bushings I have there wouldn't be a huge advantage. If I shot 500 rounds a week of 9mm or 45ACP I would probably get a Dillion square deal dedicated to that round.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:34 AM

As stated before, of course, now is not the best time to be looking, but fair deals do occasionally come up on Ebay. I always look for the heck of it, and usually see a few, but nobody is giving them away. I would suggest biting the bullet and going directly through Dillon. Just jump in to the cool blue pool!
Old 07-08-2020, 06:37 AM

Also, try GunBrokers - I got a new Dillon xl650 Two years ago for around $600 including shipping. And, yes, 400 rounds/hr is easily doable.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 07-08-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavedas View Post
Just to add,don't trip on 'how many per hour'.you need to focus on every single round being loaded right, remember your loading an explosive that's going to be 1 1/2 ft. away from your face.
once you get comfortable with EVERY round is loaded right, than worry how many.
remember 'slow is smooth,smooth is fast'

I've had some astounding results from my over-the-top OCD issues.

But really?
Too many guys are running progressives for it to be a problem.

Maybe they'll never have strings with identical velocities.
But truth be told, I've only done that twice.

So if my charge caries by more than .02 grains?
The gun is not going to explode in my face.

PS: Another thing?

Slow is slow.
Smooth is smooth
Fast is fast.
Keep working on it.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think it's fair or factual to imply that if someone reloads on a progressive that they're less careful or care less about making quality ammo than those that load on a single-stage or turret press.

IMO, all methods can make quality ammo. A progressive just makes it faster. I, too, enjoy the process of reloading, but I'd rather make 100 rounds in 15 minutes instead of 60 minutes.

Maybe it all depends on how much you shoot. If you're only shooting 50 rounds per week, then it probably doesn't matter if you spend 30 minutes or 8 minutes making that ammo.

NRA Life Member
Old 07-08-2020, 08:28 AM

Check

*Craigslist
*Ebay
*The gun auction sites
*FB shopping areas
*Pawn shops
*Tag sales
*Auctions

or

Suck-it-up and buy a new one.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 07-08-2020, 09:21 AM

"They claim up to 400 an hour." on a 550!

I've heard this too and call BS! Is there a "You tube" for validation?

I've been reloading on mine (450, 550, SDB) for over 40 years and have never been able to come close to that number. The big issue is primers! Loading them and an errant flipped primer stoppage! The most I've ever done is maybe 200 but I reload for relaxation and don't really set a goal for quantity. What is more important to me is precision and consistency!

P.S. I have 5 Dillons (Pistol) and 2 Hornady's (rifle) set up for the calibers I reload! Midsouth had a sale on Horndady LNL ($439) that included 500 Hornady bullets ($125-$150)!

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 07-08-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:38 AM

When 45 auto and 9mm became too frustrating on the turret press, I went with a Dillon BL 550 to save a few bucks. No auto primer, no powder drop, but it is way faster than the turret.
I use my Redding powder measure on top of the Dillon expander and use my standard dies.

I make no effort to reach X amount of rounds per hour. With the 550 I don't feel as rushed as I did with the turret. Getting one round with each pull is very satisfying.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:46 AM
1911 Aficionado

I could/did load 100 rounds in an hour-and-a-half on a single stage.
I'm loading 200 an hour on a Dillon Square Deal, which is a great press for loading pistol cartridges.
I think the disparity in rounds per hour is based on how much of the loading process is included.
200 an hour is from lights on to lights off. If I counted only pulling the handle, then I could probably do 300.

I paid $175 each for used Square Deals, but that was fifteen years ago; good used ones are probably $300, now?
Old 07-08-2020, 10:50 AM

Using RickB's "lights on to lights off" example, I am at 200 rounds in just under an hour at a leisurely pace on my 550B

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 07-08-2020, 11:11 AM
More Cowbell...

Just order a Dillon 550 and get it over with. Yes they are expensive, but so is your time.

I just timed myself on my 550 loading 41 Magnum. No casefeeder and no bullet feeder.

With a nice slow rhythm I was loading about 350-400 rounds an hour.

I have a bullet tray and also a brass bin right where I need them so maybe that helps with economy of motion and speed.

With my 1050s (they have casefeeders and bullet feeders) getting over 2,000 rounds an hour of handgun ammo is easy. While pumping out ammo fast, I can assure you that my ammo is just as good as if I loaded it on my Co-Ax. If it wasnt, I would not use a 1050 or 550.

My long range precision ammo that I load on a 550 regularly gets used at long (past 600 yards) range. I dont use the Dillon powder dispenser for that ammo though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJRp...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Tom Freeman; 07-15-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:30 AM

I can do 100 rounds on a 650 with case feeder in about six minutes. That includes hunting and pecking the primers.

My comfortable rate on the 650 is around 600-700 rounds an hour of 9mm or 45 ACP. That includes hunting and pecking the primers.

I have eight small and eight large primer tubes.

To anyone that thinks you can't produce good ammo on a progressive. You need to download the June Blue Press and read the first part of a three part article. June covers the Dillon powder measure. July covers OAL. It turns out that the 550 in the article has less SD on OAL than a Rockchucker.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:48 PM

Progressive reloading doesn't fit my lifestyle, but I have helped a friend reload some 45 ACP competition ammo on his Dillon. One thing I have seen with my limited experience and my friend's long term experience is that most of the "Rounds Per Hour" quoted in forums is possibly greatly exaggerated...
Old 07-08-2020, 03:02 PM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
Progressive reloading doesn't fit my lifestyle, but I have helped a friend reload some 45 ACP competition ammo on his Dillon. One thing I have seen with my limited experience and my friend's long term experience is that most of the "Rounds Per Hour" quoted in forums is possibly greatly exaggerated...
In the video I linked above, in 15-16 seconds I load about 11 rounds. So that is about 40-45 rounds a minute which comes out to about 2,400 - 2,700 rounds an hour. Subtract some time to add primers and a couple handfuls of bullets and I am still over 2,000 rounds an hour.

I cant keep that pace up for 60+ minutes, but I will crank out a thousand or so rounds and walk away for a few days. Then come back and do it again hopefully keeping my loading schedule ahead of my shooting needs.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
"They claim up to 400 an hour." on a 550!

I've heard this too and call BS! Is there a "You tube" for validation?

I've been reloading on mine (450, 550, SDB) for over 40 years and have never been able to come close to that number. The big issue is primers! Loading them and an errant flipped primer stoppage!

Smiles,
It's funny that nowadays, nothing is true without video proof. ...lol

Do you only own 1 primer tube? Years ago I bought a 6 pack of primer tubes and when I have a few minutes of down time, I fill a tube. That way when I load, I always have 6 or 7 ready to go.

With the bullet tray at the left and a brass bin at shellplate height on the right, there is no wasted movement.

Think about it this way, 400/hr is 100 every 14 minutes (giving you a minute to add fresh primers) that's only a pull of the handle every 8 and a half seconds. That's slower cycle rate than those loading 100-150/hr on a SS press. And they are changing out dies and weighing/hand dispensing powder with each round.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:56 PM

OP, If all you are loading is 9mm and 45ACP, you may want to consider the SDB. It’s a nice little progressive loader that uses its own dies but has an auto indexing function. I has one that I loaded tens of thousands of 9mm & 45ACP on. When a part would wear out or more likely, I would lose it, Dillon would replace it NC. I still often kick myself for selling it and going to the 550 but you can’t load rifle on the SDB. I think you can still purchase one set up in your caliber of choice the purchase the conversion kits and dies as needed. All in you will probably spend a little less on the SDB.
Good luck, 100 rounds in 1.5 hrs is borderline insanity!
Old 07-08-2020, 04:43 PM

I have always enjoyed reloading. I do enjoy it more with the Dillon 550B. I still use a Lyman Turret for rifle and 44 mag and for test loads for 45, 9MM and .38. I've never tried for speed, it is fast enough without rushing things, I like to look in each case to make sure there is powder in the case before seating the bullet. With the Dillon you get a loaded round with each cycle of the lever, that alone makes it about 5 times faster than a single stage ....And this without rushing.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:23 PM

Lots of Dillon guys, but we haven't heard from a Lee Loadmaster user?

Anybody?
Old 07-08-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
Lots of Dillon guys, but we haven't heard from a Lee Loadmaster user?

Anybody?
That should tell you something right there...

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association