Old Timerís Thoughts on Handgun Choice - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-05-2020, 12:11 PM

Old Timerís Thoughts on Handgun Choice

The following is the result of random musings of an old timer (73 and I thought it would take a lot longer to get this old). In no way is this meant to inflame a caliber war.

Choosing a handgun, to this old geezer, is more about platform and brand (not a brand snob, just a preference) than caliber. I can be fat, dumb and happy with a 9mm, 38 Super or a 45 ACP, as long as it is a 1911. And for me a Colt. The Colt choice is not a supposition that Colt is superior to others. Rather it is based on what was available way back when I began as a police officer. It was primarily Colt or Colt in 1911ís.

The same is true for revolvers. 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 44, I donít care particularly about bore size. But usually it is going to be a Smith. Again, not a brand snob, just what I started out with as a rookie and have grown accustomed to over the years. It is not the caliber that matters to me, it is what Iím familiar and comfortable with.

Guess as the years have rolled by, Iíve come to operate by the KISS principle...keep it simple stupid. Causes a lot less stress in making choices and Iím always satisfied with what Iíve got.

Thanks for allowing an old guy to chime in. Stay safe, hunkered down and God bless.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:18 PM

I think those are wise choices. I'm only a 54 y/o whippersnapper but I see no reason to deviate from what you are doing.

Carry on, Man.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:21 PM

Whit, there's something to be said for the wisdom of experience. Sounds like you've got plenty of it, and you've found what works for you. No reason to change that now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2020, 12:27 PM

I agree. What we grew up with has more bearing on what we prefer than most people give it credit for. That's why for many of us the classics remain king, while for the younger set, polymer and modularity drive the preference - it's what they know best. And, of course, these are not absolutes, but they tend to trend in that manner - just look at the firing lines at the range of your choice. Folks will defend their choices with all sorts of arguments, but at the core, it's more about what we grew up with that helped form our frames of reference. Just my 2-shekels.....
Old 05-05-2020, 01:02 PM

I like my 1911's--they're really fun to shoot--but they're such pains in the arse! Now my Valor is not working (at 1,400 rounds) and likely has a two part problem. I never have to deal with these silly issues with SIG, HK, S&W and Glocks. It's maddening considering the extremely high-tech processes some 1911 makers use.

Last edited by tomrkba; 05-05-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:36 PM

In my 50's (punk kid). Carried Glock 17 then 22 for years. I appreciate the simplicity as a tool, but always felt wrong in hand. In private life I enjoy 1911's for range and home, but for carrying regularly I'll take Walther PPQ or PPS M2. Never really warmed up to and never carried Berettas. I appreciate Ruger steel revolvers.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:41 PM

Like Whit I prefer Colt autos and Smith revolvers. In the military I started with a Colt 1911, and in LE it was a Model 27. I have used all manner of firearms though, and carried Glock ďperfectionĒ on the job for over two decades. I guess ďperfectionĒ is defined as broken guide rods, sheered locking blocks, sights that fly off, pins that snap or fall out, etc. I saw about everything as an LE firearms instructor.

What I do like is the variety of firearms available today; both new-fangled and old-school. Great time to be a shooter.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:48 PM

I'm 73 also. But in my old age I have fallen in love with 10mm. After I thought that I would never buy another gun, I have acquired 10mm's in a 1911 long slide Nighthawk, a Glock 20, A Ruger GP100 Match Champion, a Springfield Armory XDm, and am really considering an S&W 610.

As an old man with incipient arthritis in both hands I can attest that reports of excessive recoil in 10mm is greatly exaggerated.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:31 PM

Summing up my original post might best be done by a quote from Darrell K. Royal, legendary University of Texas football coach. He said you should, “dance with what brung ya”.

Nothing wrong with the new fangled stuff, just don’t want to change partners at this point in my long, and hopefully a little longer, life.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:41 PM
Administrator

I have to laugh every time I watch a YouTube video by some 20-something bearded tactical nerd who derides anything not high-capacity and polymer. Some of the more enthusiastic ones even think anything without an RMR and light rail is just a range gun not considered viable for serious defensive use. I understand that modern guns have certain advantages in certain situations, but an "old school" mil-spec 1911 or 6-shot .357 revolver will still kill bad guys just as dead, especially if you have sufficient skills and mindset to not to have to rely on your gear to make up for a lack of same. Eddie Van Halen sounds better with a cheap $60 pawn shop guitar than I do with a fancy $2000 one, which is something to keep in mind.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:49 PM

An 80 year old man told me he wanted to buy a Bersa Thunder 380 for target shooting. Evidently some genius behind the gunshop counter told him there's a custom shop in New York that accurizes Bersas. Why do people have to abuse the elderly like this?

Another 80 year old gentleman picked up a Glock 19x and fell in love with it, since he could actually see the Tritium filled sights. Old geezers like modern handguns too.

There's a joke that goes around saying CZ only continues to build steel framed guns for all the young Hipsters that want an old man gun with modern features.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:06 PM

I guess a lot of us are of an age such that we grew up in the pre-polymer era. About the time I was eligible to retire from LE, I was issued and carried a polymer pistol, attended the armorers classes multiple times, had other polymer pistols of my own,etc. I appreciate polymer pistols, but try as I might, polymer pistols,etc. just never became favorites. I'd carried 1911s off duty, but finally had the opportunity to carry a Colt Govt. on duty, and did so for my last several years of gainful employment.
In my geezerhood, I still prefer S&W revolvers, the occasional Colt revolver, 1911 type pistols, and others made of that archaic stuff they call metal
Old 05-05-2020, 03:41 PM

It makes a difference when you get to be the one who decides. First handgun was a Colt LW Commander, started the Academy in 1975 with a Smith, 19 for qual, and 66 for inspections. Carried a Ruger Security six off duty, then Jim Hoag Colt 1911, Smith 59, 669,645, Sig 226, back to Hoag 1911 with K-9, finally, Glock 17,19,22,23,21, when we developed our Firearms Training Unit. After retiring, I seem to favor my 1911's more. Shot GAS with my Kimber 10mm 2 years ago, then last year a Glock 19. I have always agreed with the OP, Colt makes 1911's, Smith makes Revolvers, my latest acquisition being a 66-2 2-1/2". Current EDC is a DW 1911, 9mm, until I get my Fusion/Kimber custom 10mm wrung out. Polymer guns are fine, never felt under gunned with one, they just don't have any soul.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Ron "Chalky" Beason
Old 05-05-2020, 04:06 PM

I should confess that the classic Sig P Series (226, 228,229) do hold an attraction for me, but not necessarily because of capacity. Just because they are fine pistols. So I guess I have one foot in the early modern world of handguns despite my original post. Hey, old goats can adapt, if they have to, but usually it is kicking, scratching and screaming at the change. Part of the fun of being of a mature age (euphemism for old).
Old 05-05-2020, 04:25 PM

I started out with Colt revolvers and was just a bit of a snob at the time. My Trooper was better than my buddies S&W 19. My Python was king of the mountain but I was young and I learned to love S&W and my first one was a model 41 22 cal, boy that was a sweet shooting pistol. I got a few more S&Ws and then I found out how much I liked Ruger single actions.

I remember talking with my shooting buddies about those new plastic pistols some company called Glock was coming out with. We all said we would not have a plastic pistol and it was about 20 to 25 years later around 2004 before I did buy my first one.

Last edited by SC shooter; 05-05-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:44 PM
Administrator

I only have a few polymer handguns. Those I do are reserved for concealed carry where the weight savings is appreciated. Other than that, the bulk of the handguns I own are all steel. I simply have no interest in guns that are mostly made of synthetics, practical as they may be.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I only have a few polymer handguns. Those I do are reserved for concealed carry where the weight savings is appreciated. Other than that, the bulk of the handguns I own are all steel. I simply have no interest in guns that are mostly made of synthetics, practical as they may be.
They just donít have that eye-catching essence of blue steel and walnut or the attractiveness of any steel and wood gripped handgun. It is like looking at screwdrivers in the tool section of the hardware store but you have less colors and options to choose from.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:33 PM

I am 70 and pretty set in my ways I guess. But not that picky really, if it says Colt, S&W, Sig, Kahr or several 1911 manufactures I'm good to go. I prefer big bores but can live with a 38 or 9mm in a pocket gun. I grew up with revolvers and could be happy if that was all I had. However I will be the first to say that a semi-auto has the advantage of being easier to conceal, easier to reload and greater capacity [round count]. The 1911 is just a really fun pistol though.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:41 PM

I'm not far behind you age wise and with close to 50 years of
bullseye/re-loading experience I've probably owned somewhere around 70 handguns, we won't even mention rifles and shotguns, traded or sold all but the ones I've really enjoyed until my collection is down to about 2 dozen.

Never owned a Glock (never by a gun with a springy thingy in the trigger).
Don't own any revolvers with locks.

Own several 9mm punybellums but that's only because the ammo is cheap and somedays I'm just to lazy to reload.

All my target pistols and revolvers are measured in American inches instead of sillymeters because they are more accurate, with the one exception of the 10mm which isn't really a 10mm (.3937") it's actually .4000" and that's the reason I call it the 40 Super.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:29 PM

I'm just a month shy of 49, and my Colt 1911 in 45ACP was my first handgun purchase back when I was in my early 20's. It was my only carry gun for quite a while, before I bought a few different 9mm plastic fantastics, only one of which I still own.

Not a thing wrong with enjoying older stuff. Hell, my .22 rifle I recently acquired is a Winchester model 75 built in 1941.

I have also owned a few old Chevy trucks. My very first vehicle was a 1970 Chevy pickup, and I've also owned a 1969. Hopefully soon I can start looking for another one.

This younger generation isn't completely lost. I've run into a few 20 somethings that still like and carry 1911's. Also, my 11 year old son loves shooting my Colt Gold Cup Trophy in 22lr. His .22 rifle is also an old one, a Savage/Stevens model 34 from 1952.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading this in English, thank a veteran.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:54 PM

I have bought, sold, and traded lots of guns over the years looking for that perfect handgun. I finally figured out that nothing's perfect, and decided to stick with what I shoot best. When I can carry something bigger than a pocket pistol, it is a CCO sized 1911 in .45acp. When I have to pocket carry, it's an LCP2. I have other guns, but I stick with these to concentrate on being good at using them.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:03 PM

I’m lucky enough to have several revolvers, several 1911s, Metal framed DA/SA pistols and striker polymer pistols.

Each have their place based on intended use and my enjoyment at the time.

I do have brand preferences- based upon my experiences & of those I trust. I never derive another’s choice as it’s theirs and not mine.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:12 PM

Tomrkba - I'm sorry you are having problems with your 1911. My experience has been pretty much the opposite. I have replaced springs and a couple of extractors that wore out, but I have had very good service from the 1911 design. My main carry gun is 15 years old and probably has around 15,000 rounds through it.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:24 PM

I don't own any hi-cap pistols. When I go shooting it is either a 1911 or a 6 inch 357. I never feel under gunned with 7 in the commander or 6 in gp100.

For rifles I will usually grab a bolt gun over a semi auto. Nothing wrong with my ar or mini 14 I just prefer a nice bolt action.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
An 80 year old man told me he wanted to buy a Bersa Thunder 380 for target shooting. Evidently some genius behind the gunshop counter told him there's a custom shop in New York that accurizes Bersas. Why do people have to abuse the elderly like this?
I shoot my Bersa Thunder at 25 yards and from sandbags it can only hold the outer ring with my best ammo choice (Winchester White Box, of all things). As a straight blowback it could be a real tack driver some day.

My thoughts right now are that the slide might be a bit wobbly and throwing the sights off, or the slide's "bushing" might actually be touching the barrel and tossing the accuracy out the window.

I can't see any reason why a Bersa can't be as accurate as any ruger .22 once figured out.

Still working on loads.