2020 python internals - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-12-2020, 09:53 PM

2020 python internals

Maybe I missed it, but have any of you handled one and seen what the small parts are made of? Is this all solid steel or are they using some mim or cast parts? It doesnít really matter much to me, Iím confident in colts mim parts, just curious. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:16 PM

From what I have heard on the interwebs....

The internal parts are made from bubble gum wrappers and popsicle sticks. Held together with rubber bands and wishful thinking.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:19 PM

Cycle through the 22 page thread regarding the 2020 Python, and you'll find a comparison picture of the new and old lockwork side by side. It is very similar, aside from what looks to be the hammer block safety being redesigned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketshaver View Post
From what I have heard on the interwebs....

The internal parts are made from bubble gum wrappers and popsicle sticks. Held together with rubber bands and wishful thinking.
Well that settles it for me; I'll never buy one !
Old 01-13-2020, 10:08 AM

The comparison picture is post #340 I think.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:21 AM

I found it. Thanks guys. They look good. I didn’t see and casting or mim seams. My father has one on order locally. Can’t wait to shoot it and check it out.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:47 PM

Everybody gets uptight about MIM parts. I remember years ago a fellow name of Bill Ruger started using investment (lost wax) method of building frames for his SAs. Look at them now, one of the best S.A. & DA manufacturers in the business!
Oh 1911s too!
Old 01-13-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
Everybody gets uptight about MIM parts. I remember years ago a fellow name of Bill Ruger started using investment (lost wax) method of building frames for his SAs. Look at them now, one of the best S.A. & DA manufacturers in the business!
Oh 1911s too!
Were it not not for Sig, Kimber and Remington, MIM wouldn't have such a bad reputation. When done right, there is nothing wrong MIM. Sig, Kimber, and Remington showed us what happens when you do it the wrong way.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
Were it not not for Sig, Kimber and Remington, MIM wouldn't have such a bad reputation. When done right, there is nothing wrong MIM. Sig, Kimber, and Remington showed us what happens when you do it the wrong way.
I have an extensive range of Sig P series guns in all calibers and a P210 also. They are chock full of MIM parts and they are some of the best guns out there. The annual sig sales numbers tell a story as well.

I think Colt and Remington are comparable companies regarding quality and where they stand in the business. Kimber still a leg up and some new stuff coming out which people like. I have non but I do lie their new 9mm 1911 offerings, somewhat cool and I see that stuff selling.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Oh 1911s too!
Ruger 1911s best in the business for 1911s or DA wheel guns
Strong, maybe even some of the strongest SA and DA guns, but Freedom Arms is a world ahead in accuracy and feel out of the box.
The DA triggers are awful and not much you can do about it.
Factory accuracy and finish work on the wheel guns....meh....at best.
Distinguished Pistol #388

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 01-13-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4110mm View Post
I have an extensive range of Sig P series guns in all calibers and a P210 also. They are chock full of MIM parts and they are some of the best guns out there. The annual sig sales numbers tell a story as well.

I think Colt and Remington are comparable companies regarding quality and where they stand in the business. Kimber still a leg up and some new stuff coming out which people like. I have non but I do lie their new 9mm 1911 offerings, somewhat cool and I see that stuff selling.
I guess you haven't heard of the Sig P320, Sig 365, the broken Kimber extractors or the Remington 700 trigger recall. Both Colt and Remington might be bad about cosmetic blemishes, but unlike Remington, most Colts actually function, and don't rust after looking at them incorrectly.

Last edited by FNHipowerluv; 01-13-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:28 PM

To clarify, I have complete confidence in mim parts in colts. I was just wondering what they were using given the “premium” expectations of pythons. I’ve also had no issues in my sig 220 10mm or new 210A.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:38 AM

I would rather have MIM than plastic.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIS35 View Post
Well that settles it for me; I'll never buy one !
I donít know- if they use Bazooka Joe, that stuff was stronger than MIM.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkNavy02 View Post
Strong, maybe even some of the strongest SA and DA guns, but Freedom Arms is a world ahead in accuracy and feel out of the box.
Freedom does make a nice gun but double the cost of your average ruger. Ruger triggers can be vastly improved with a spring swap and polishing. My gp100 now has an amazing trigger. $20 for springs and shims and a tube of flitz is all it takes. My ruger 1911 has been a solid performer straight out of the box.

It would be funny if it was ruger's casting facility that was making the internals for the python. And a good thing as they have been doing it for a long time and are good at it.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Freedom does make a nice gun but double the cost of your average ruger. Ruger triggers can be vastly improved with a spring swap and polishing. My gp100 now has an amazing trigger. $20 for springs and shims and a tube of flitz is all it takes. My ruger 1911 has been a solid performer straight out of the box.

It would be funny if it was ruger's casting facility that was making the internals for the python. And a good thing as they have been doing it for a long time and are good at it.
More like triple if not more is more likely. I guess that just depends on the particular SA your comparing it to. But I do know my Freeedom Arms 97 22 LR was about three times the cost of my Single Ten.

Last edited by Dddrees; 01-14-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkNavy02 View Post
I take it you've had a lot of experience with Rugers.

Or maybe none at all.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:43 AM

The hammer and trigger are machined per a video from Colt. I don’t know on the rest of the small parts.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Look at them now, one of the best S.A. & DA manufacturers in the business! Oh 1911s too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
No argument that the price is several times higher, then again so is the quality and accuracy, but that wasn't the statement above and acknowledge it wasn't an absolute either. Ruger DA triggers can be improved, to a point, but then you're mechanically limited by the design. When the military pistol Teams had wheel guns, nobody would touch Rugers. There are other, better designs, which is why they're not competitive in many pistol sports. The barrels are "okay" but not at the level of some other manufacturers, like Colt, etc. There is a big difference between being a solid performer and best in the business. There is an entire sub-industry devoted to correcting design and production flaws by Ruger for good reason. That said, they're incredibly strong, stupid reliable and the SA can have a great trigger. Hard to beat for the price IMO. Unfortunately the only revolver frame I've had crack was on a Ruger Super Blackhawk, which may be why I'm not as enthusiastic. Ruger did fix it for free, no problem. The Single Six I have is also the least accurate 22 I've tested so far in a ransom rest at 50 yards, but it is a gift. The Redhawk was sold pending acquisition of a future Colt Anaconda

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd View Post
I take it you've had a lot of experience with Rugers. Or maybe none at all.
Far from it, but appreciate the shot. Most gun owners haven't had a revolver built by a Master Pistolsmith. Few compete in a sport like Precision Pistol or Bianchi that require marksmanship skills that you need to use a tool like that in. And far fewer combine both and have several examples of each brand to compare. So the view isn't based on lack of experience, its from owning a variety of tuned/modified wheel guns across companies. They all have their strengths/weaknesses and some do better than others in particular areas.

.44 Magnum Love: The Ultimate Hunting Handgun Test Hyperlink

FWIW, head to Camp Perry and see how many Ruger SA or DA are on the line for Distinguished Revolver matches or even at state/regional matches. Ruger makes a tough gun and also tough to be competitive. There are other pistols sports like Bianchi. Look at the top guys at the national level. Certain brands tend to dominate. For many reasons, not just the sponsor. And Ruger has some huge pockets. For 1911s, again, look at Camp Perry for pistol nationals, zero rugers in the hands of top folks, except for the frames I suspect they make for other companies. If you want to win you aren't going to use a Ruger (factory).

Fundamentally, if you are happy with your Ruger, that's great. IMO not the best wheel gun, but a very strong one and a great base platform for work by a Gunsmith. The 1911s aren't the worst, but not exceptional either and when compared to Dan Wesson as another production 1911 (yes more expensive) way outclassed, especially in the semi-custom arena with their offering when put up against Rock River Arms, etc. From a ransom rest they're far from spectacular and everything is drop in part fit, nothing exceptional.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 01-14-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:27 PM

Jayhawk,

Points well taken.

But Rugers are well designed and
functionally very good if not for
the rarefied contests you describe.
I think of them as excellent street
guns which probably can sustain
quite a bit of neglect, even abuse.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd View Post
Jayhawk,

Points well taken.

But Rugers are well designed and functionally very good if not for
the rarefied contests you describe. I think of them as excellent street guns which probably can sustain quite a bit of neglect, even abuse.
Absolutely. I think it would be tough to argue otherwise.