Pimp my Mil Spec 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-12-2020, 08:18 PM

Pimp my Mil Spec 1911

I picked up an entry level Springfield Mil Spec 1911.

What should I do to it to improve it?

Suggestions please. If you can point me to videos that would be great.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:34 PM

Other than different grips, if you are so inclined, I wouldn't change anything.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:51 PM

Pimp my Mil Spec 1911

Iíd upgrade the sights, replace the ignition with quality parts, tool steel -EGW. Thatís the basic / minimum.

You can go from there

Front strap checkering for grip
Kart barrel and bushing
Ambi safety
Different beavertail
Cosmetics as far as you can imagine
Etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 09:03 PM

Have you shot it? What will it be used for? What do you want from it? What ammo will you be using? What is your budget?
Old 01-12-2020, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
I picked up an entry level Springfield Mil Spec 1911.

What should I do to it to improve it?

Suggestions please. If you can point me to videos that would be great.
Congratulations on your new $600 1911. Now go find a gunsmith and have an additional $1500 in custom work done to it and you'll have a decent handgun.

J/K...

Read my signature line. You shouldn't do a thing to it or any other 1911 until you've put some rounds through it and decided what YOU think needs to be improved. Me telling you what to fix on it is like me telling you what kind of girl you should date.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:35 PM

Estimate what you'd be willing to spend on "upgrades", take that money, go buy that much more ammo, and shoot it.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:52 PM

Let me drag out my soapbox.

What the heck do you mean by "improve" it? I have no idea what you intend to do with it, I have no idea what your level of training and experience is and I have no idea what your physical ability and characteristics are i.e. how big your hands are etc, and your going to ask total strangers for advice?

If you ask me, which you have, go shoot the thing, shoot it a few times, not just 25 rounds off your back porch. Take notes about what you feel the gun is not doing that you want it to do. Read all the gun rags and make notes, then shoot the gun again. Think about what those gun rags said and compare them to what your seeing. Look at the youtube experts and make notes, then shoot again and compare what they say to what your seeing.

Then YOU decide what the gun is not doing that you want it to do and then decide if your willing to pay for the upgrades or just sell the gun and get one with the features you want.

OK enough soapbox.

Last edited by mark2734; 01-12-2020 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:09 PM

I sent mine brand new unfired to Springfield's Custom Shop back before they trimmed down the options.

Trijicon Night Sights
Flush cut and crowned barrel
Speed trigger
Flat MSH
Hammer and beaver tail
Springfield's 1911 Defensive Package:
1. Deburr pistol internally 2. Tune extractor & ejector 3. Recut barrel throat & polish feed ramp 4. Install custom match bushing 5. Check headspace 6. Install new recoil spring & firing pin spring 7. Tuned 4.5 lb. trigger 8. GI Models: Lower & flare ejection port; install extended ejector 9. Refinish as needed (Additional charge for some finishes) 10. Reliability tuning 11. Inspect & test fire for function
Refinished in Satin Black Armory Kote

Later I added a Springfield ambi safety and Smith & Alexander mag well.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:18 PM
1911 Aficionado

To my Mil-Spec, I replaced the sear with a "prepped" version that was better finished, added an ambi safety, fitted barrel bushing, and dehorned the sharp edges of the grip safety.
Great gun.

Last edited by RickB; 01-13-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:02 AM

Shoot the heck out of it. I liked my stock one so much I bought a second one.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2734 View Post
Let me drag out my soapbox.

What the heck do you mean by "improve" it? I have no idea what you intend to do with it, I have no idea what your level of training and experience is and I have no idea what your physical ability and characteristics are i.e. how big your hands are etc, and your going to ask total strangers for advice?

If you ask me, which you have, go shoot the thing, shoot it a few times, not just 25 rounds off your back porch. Take notes about what you feel the gun is not doing that you want it to do. Read all the gun rags and make notes, then shoot the gun again. Think about what those gun rags said and compare them to what your seeing. Look at the youtube experts and make notes, then shoot again and compare what they say to what your seeing.

Then YOU decide what the gun is not doing that you want it to do and then decide if your willing to pay for the upgrades or just sell the gun and get one with the features you want.

OK enough soapbox.
^^^^^^^^^^^^Amen.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Other than different grips, if you are so inclined, I wouldn't change anything.
+1. Hogue grips give you a different grip feel, while also looking somewhat distinctive, without changing the overall appearanve of the pistol, for the worse.

Just bear in mind, the more you change mechanically, the less dependably it will shoot, proportionally. I would avoid a lot of unneeded alterations. The 1911A1 is a look, of and unto itself, without enhancement.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post

Just bear in mind, the more you change mechanically, the less dependably it will shoot, proportionally.
I humbly disagree with this statement. And I think a few talented gunsmiths may feel similarly.
Joe
Old 01-13-2020, 08:44 AM

Oh, allow me to apologize, I wasn't aware the OP was a talented gunsmith.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:47 AM

The stock Mil-Spec is a great pistol as is. I love customized 1911s, but I also love stock 1911s. Several guys have asked some great rhetorical questions that you need to consider.

We couldn't possibly know if you'll get get hammer-bite when you shoot. I don't with the stock grip safety. If you do, then consider a beavertail grip safety. How is the trigger? If you're good with it, leave it alone. Can you see the front sight and get hits on the target? If so, your sights are fine. Most importantly, does it go bang every time you pull the trigger? If so, it's reliable, leave out the feed ramp polishing, barrel throating, extractor shaping, etc.

Springfield has already put rounds through it. And it worked. Shoot it as is. I'd put a couple of thousand rounds through it before I'd consider modifications. When you modify them, you can induce other problems, unless you use a topnotch pistol-smith. We have several that post on the Forum. I wouldn't use anyone else.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:49 AM

What the ? Do nothing except shoot it. If you hit the target, you are good.
You want a more expensive firearm, there are lots out there.
What is your goal?
If you are doing mods and you are not an experienced and good 1911 smith, find one.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
I humbly disagree with this statement. And I think a few talented gunsmiths may feel similarly.

Joe

Exactly- well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-13-2020, 04:01 PM

Since you want "Pimped" I'd suggest this being done and then get a set of these for your grill to go with it. That pimped enough for ya?
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Oh, allow me to apologize, I wasn't aware the OP was a talented gunsmith.
Whether the OP is a gunsmith or not has nothing to do with your blanket statement. Made with no disclaimers. I accept your apology anyway.
Joe
Old 01-13-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0025xx View Post
Estimate what you'd be willing to spend on "upgrades", take that money, go buy that much more ammo, and shoot it.
I'da swore you were going to say "Trade it on a new Python".......

😂
Old 01-13-2020, 09:19 PM

In 1979 I bought a very slightly used nickel Gov't model. Trigger was OK and got better the more I shot it. Fantastically accurate. Not as many "experts" around to tell me it needed work and thankfully none was done. I shot it a lot for fun and some competition. Carried it until I got a light weight Commander. 40+ years later I could use better sights. But still is a most reliable and accurate !911. Glad I shot it and didn't improve it.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:26 PM

Just bear in mind, the more you change mechanically, the less dependably it will shoot, proportionally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
Joe
I replaced the firing group on my R.O with John Harrison's which involved refitting the thumb safety and fitted an EGW bushing and I had never touched a 1911 before. I filed down the ledge sight to be POA/POI for me. Though it's easy to mess up it's not that difficult to do properly. My gun has run perfectly since then without any issues.
Make it how you want it.

Attached Thumbnails
RO2.jpg  

Last edited by win3030; 01-14-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl View Post

THAT... is about as GOOD as it gets!

AWESOME upgrades.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:22 AM

So, 22 posts since Mr. flashhole's brief original post asked about modifications to his new Mil-Spec, and no response from him. And this was his 7th post overall. Here's my theory, posts like this one, and "what gun should I buy?" aren't real posts. They are typically written by new members, who I maintain are really moles, inserted into the Forum whose posts are there to provide an impetus for discussion among members/participants. They rarely answer back, but if so, it's a very brief response, usually with no photos. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it sure seems like a convenient and phony method designed to keep members actively involved. And I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:26 AM

Now I'm sure that Mr Flashhole will soon prove me wrong, but let's see how many posts he writes while a member. I'm guessing not many. But if indeed Mr Flashhole is a real 1911 enthusiast and owner, my apologies.