What is your daily carry pocketknife? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-30-2001, 02:47 PM

What is your daily carry pocketknife?

I'm not talking about the fancy Benchmade pocket clip one-handed opener you carry every day but never actually use. Nor am I talking about the three hundred dollar Emerson that looks great but you'd never actually cut a cardboard box open with...

What I'm wanting to know is, what pocketknife do you carry and use for every kind of cutting job?

I carry a cheap Camillus USGI clone. Paid twelve bucks for it in '96 and can't seem to lose or break it. You know the type. Has "US" on the side, a lanyard loop, an indestructable screwdriver blade. Made entirely of stainless steel, even the handles. Similar in style to the Boy Scout knives made by Case.

Darned good knife. Simple but effective.

What kind of pocketknife do you carry?
Old 12-30-2001, 03:49 PM

Either a Kershaw Whirlwind or Boa, depending on my mood.
Old 12-30-2001, 03:55 PM

The little 2.5" lockblade that I got for free when I joined Ducks Unlimited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2001, 04:08 PM

Case makes a little plastic handled cheapie lockblade that's just perfect for daily carry. Nine bucks a copy.

I get almost all of my knives from Smoky Mountain Knife Works. I don't pay retail either. They send me a monthly catalog full of deals. Sign up for one. You won't regret it.

For example, those Wegener Swiss Watches that usually go for two hundred bucks a copy. I got one for fifty bucks DELIVERED! Sign up for that catalog!

Last edited by Inspector Callahan; 12-30-2001 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2001, 04:23 PM

A small Gerber LST.Perfect for sharpening pencils and cutting sheet plastic.I think it cost around $10 at Lowes.
Old 12-30-2001, 05:33 PM

I do carry an Emerson folder that looks great and cuts great too. Up until recently I carried two of the same kind one on each side in my front pockets. The price and looks isn't what made me look at them. I tried one out and trained with it and it worked out great. Cut tons of stuff with it too. Carboard, wood, meat, rubber foam dummies, and yes........I've even cut coupons I'm a coupon shopper! It slices like no tomorrow.

I carried delicas, wegner spydercos, some benchmades and all that but the Emerson Commander works and feels good to me. If what you got works, good. But don't kick a knife down just because of the cost and looks.

If your purpose for carrying is "everyday cutting jobs" and that's it. Then any knife would probably do as long as it keeps a half decent edge. But if one of those purposes has to fill a self defense role, cost is lower on the priority list than design and ergonomics of the blade. I do carry for self defense and if I need it to cut coupons during the non-stressful events then it does that too. But if the need arises to where I needed that coupon cut fast and furiosly and tactically correct I can do that too

If those knives have handles that allow you to thrust or do a downward icepick stab without your hand sliding up on the blade then it's got a good designed handle for defensive work.

One handed opening blades are also a plus if one of you "everyday cutting jobs" ends up being a self defense situation.

I did recently change my left hand folder for a fixed blade. It's one of Striders smaller fixed blade series and I've been starting to train with that. Cut myself an aluminum blank and wrapped it just like the real thing and it's working fine too.

Well....... Maybe I'm getting off the subject but one of my "everyday cutting jobs" may end up being a self defense ordeal and that's why I carry what I carry but they fill other roles as well.

If we lived in a perfect (non violent) world I'd probably carry a Emerson mini CQC7. It's a knice small blade that isn't menacing looking and has a comfy handle too.

Ross T.

Last edited by ROSANGHAL; 12-30-2001 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2001, 05:40 PM

3 5/8" KASPER.....from cardboard to apples I use it.......
Old 12-30-2001, 05:44 PM

Emerson Commander

Eeek! That's expensive!
Old 12-30-2001, 06:35 PM

I used to carry either an Emerson CQC-7B or a Commander, now I carry a MOD Trident and sometimes a Micro-Tech UDT. Yes, I use them for everyday chores. They are fine knives and are meant to be used. I also carry one of several Vitorinox Swiss Army knives. My father collected Case folders and ocasionally I will carry one of his "Butter Bean" Cases. I generally have at least two knives on me at any given time.
Old 12-30-2001, 07:17 PM

CRKT KISS, tanto point, half serrated. I carry it everywhere except on airplanes.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Inspector Harry Callahan
Emerson Commander

Eeek! That's expensive!
Maybe, but worth every penny

Those are the prices for the current generation too. Try doing a search on the Emerson board on www.bladeforums.com for how much the '98 Commanders are going for these days. Their prices are approaching the prices of a custom handmade piece from Mr. Emerson himself. Why? Because many a people know how good they are and are willing to pay the price. I was lucky enough to buy a couple in 1998 and pay the asking price then, thank God!

Ross T.

Here you go, a link to how much some of the early '98 are going for today:
http://www.hometown.aol.com/eknives/eknives.html

All sold out too.
Old 12-30-2001, 09:00 PM

Inspector... I carry a Benchmade large Emerson along with Victorinox Classic when in casual clothes and regularly use them both, and as a school teacher substitute the Benchmade with a SpyderCo Walker for school use. I find that I am always opening cardboard boxes with it. I carry my Reeve Sebenza to after school athletic events because the gray clip is very low profile... regards
Old 12-30-2001, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ROSANGHAL

Maybe, but worth every penny

Those are the prices for the current generation too. Try doing a search on the Emerson board on www.bladeforums.com for how much the '98 Commanders are going for these days. Their prices are approaching the prices of a custom handmade piece from Mr. Emerson himself. Why? Because many a people know how good they are and are willing to pay the price. I was lucky enough to buy a couple in 1998 and pay the asking price then, thank God!

Ross T.

Here you go, a link to how much some of the early '98 are going for today:
http://www.hometown.aol.com/eknives/eknives.html

All sold out too.
Mine is a '98 Black...#631

I still like the knife and still think it is for real use, not for appreciation.
Old 12-30-2001, 09:31 PM

Several, Leatherman Wave and Micro, Spyderco Delica, Spyderco rescue or Kershaw 1550ST are part of my daily carry. Also have other Spydercos and Benchmades that I may carry. All are sharp and all cut whatever is needed. GLV
Old 12-30-2001, 10:09 PM

I carry the gerber EZ out decent knife really light so is always on me.
Old 12-30-2001, 10:19 PM

I'm really surprised by these replies. I would never even think of using an expensive combat knife for daily chores. My combat folder stays clipped to my pocket all day long. I've never even cut a popcorn bag open with it!
Old 12-30-2001, 10:26 PM

Victorinox Swiss Army Classic, or the Executive, or a third small one whose name I don't remember. I agree that if I carried a defense knife (and I don't) that I would save the edge for defensive use and not be doing daily chores with it.

Randy
Old 12-30-2001, 10:29 PM

I carry a Spyderco Endura full Spyder edge in My left front pants pocket everyday.tom.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:14 AM

Blackjack

Yukon Skinner
Old 12-31-2001, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Inspector Harry Callahan
I'm really surprised by these replies. I would never even think of using an expensive combat knife for daily chores. My combat folder stays clipped to my pocket all day long. I've never even cut a popcorn bag open with it!
Hey Inspector,

I've got some buddies that have bought really expensive 1911s and will hardly ever shoot them and won't even think about carrying them. I don't understand how they can't. I've got a couple high end custom 1911s most of them I use hard and do tons of malfuntion drills by racking them up against tables and door jambs and stuff and some of those buddies can't believe what I put some of my 1911s through.

I'm mostly the same with knives. I use them, I've got a couple that are worth a small fortune that I wouldn't use just for the sake of maybe selling them later on and having them mint will enhance the value but don't limit yourself to the less expensive stuff just because it's inexpensive. Like i said if it works, Good. But if you handle a moderately priced blade and like it, you gotta test it too if it passes then carry it.

In your post you say your "combat folder stays clipped to your pocket all day long." Does that mean you have a knife you use for everyday chores and one that's designated just for self defense?

Fish78

A couple of mine are Black T'd also and the one I carry the most is #310. I think they are user too Some don't that's cool too, but to me they are beggin' to be used

Ross T.

P.S. I know some folks that carry handmade custom folders everyday in the value of $1300+ that use them too. Now that is pushing it, for me, on knives
Old 12-31-2001, 02:54 AM

For work: emerson commander in weak side pocket.
For off duty: emerson cqc7 (waved) in weak side pocket
Sometimes: benchmade mini-afck

Love my emersons. WELL WORTH the cost.

SF
Old 12-31-2001, 03:21 AM

i carry a sebenza daily for the last 2 years. lately ive been carrying a nealy 5 inch pesh kabz in my front pocket. it sticks up about the same as a folder. i use them for all types of cutting chores . they are always sharp because i touch them up before they get very dull. for defense i carry pepper and a 45.
Old 12-31-2001, 04:40 AM

IHC,

Yes, I had that same habit (many years ago) of using a cheap folder for everyday use and "saving" my defensive knife for "serious" use.

But a wise friend of mine (multiple-tour 'Nam vet)explained to me that constant everyday use, reaching for-drawing-cutting-closing-repocketing, equates to a familiarity that begins to border on the subconscience level. Then when the time comes for "serious" use, it's in your hand without fumbling and sometimes without having to think about it.

So while I do carry a Leatherman Multi-Tool, the blade I now carry/reach for when needed is an Emerson Commander (with a spare at home).
Old 12-31-2001, 07:01 AM

Until last week it was a 3 blade Buck #703. Now it's a limited edition Benchmade 705 Forum Knife. Yes, it was expensive but I didn't buy it to be a safe queen. The blade profile is perfect for an everyday carry, and the M2 high speed steel is built to hold an edge longer.

Mac
Old 12-31-2001, 09:17 AM

I carry a Randall #8 with custom Sullivan alligator sheath on my belt everyplace I can get by with it (not at work), but always keep a 2" Case folder with stag scales in my pocket.