Wrangler ? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-26-2019, 06:44 AM
guy sajer's Avatar
guy sajer guy sajer is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,040
Wrangler ?

Do you like your Ruger Wrangler ?
Is the finish holding up ?

We've sold about 90 since July . Not hearing any complaints so far so that's positive . Hoping they eventually add an upgraded model with adj rear sight and wood grips .
__________________
Condition Yellow

We remember our friends Art , Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
  #2  
Old 12-26-2019, 08:06 AM
old doc old doc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 3,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy sajer View Post
Do you like your Ruger Wrangler ?
Is the finish holding up ?

We've sold about 90 since July . Not hearing any complaints so far so that's positive . Hoping they eventually add an upgraded model with adj rear sight and wood grips .
Then you're getting into Single Six territory but knowing Ruger and their propensity for offering multiple versions of a product, it wouldn't surprise me.
  #3  
Old 12-26-2019, 08:33 AM
guy sajer's Avatar
guy sajer guy sajer is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,040
Thanks for the feedback .

You're right , they're known for multiple versions . As the base models are still in short supply we may not see new variations until down the road .

Wood grips aren't too costly . The rear sight would be more of a challenge due to the top strap contour .
I think they could still turn out a "target" Wrangler for maybe $100 more than the std .
__________________
Condition Yellow

We remember our friends Art , Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 12-26-2019, 07:24 PM
Bedford Bedford is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Georgia
Posts: 154
I really like mine. The finish has held up just fine but its only been a range gun for me. Its pretty accurate and has fired any 22 ammo I have used with zero problems.
  #5  
Old 12-26-2019, 07:40 PM
trckdrvr trckdrvr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 59
I say don't bother with the rear adjust sight.

I bought a Ruger single six conv. 22/22mag a couple of years ago w adjust rear sight and the thing is terrible inaccurate.
One of the worst shooting revolvers I have ever owned.

Plus the blue is so thin it wore off after a few months of holster use.
  #6  
Old 12-26-2019, 08:59 PM
wildphil wildphil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by trckdrvr View Post
I say don't bother with the rear adjust sight.

I bought a Ruger single six conv. 22/22mag a couple of years ago w adjust rear sight and the thing is terrible inaccurate.
One of the worst shooting revolvers I have ever owned.

Plus the blue is so thin it wore off after a few months of holster use.
I traded into a single six several years ago. It was not accurate at all. I contacted Ruger and they had me ship it back to them.

When I got it back the issue had been resolved. The revolver is now very accurate. And it did not cost me any money. And I told them that I bought it used. That did not matter. I am happy with Ruger.
__________________
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787
  #7  
Old 12-26-2019, 09:24 PM
Andyk Andyk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 489
I have seen reports of dry firing damaging the cylinder even though Ruger says it ok to.
  #8  
Old 12-28-2019, 12:06 PM
WaterDR WaterDR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,340
I think it would be fun to buy one and get a slick set of grips. But the grip fit is confusing. Can tell what grips match.
  #9  
Old 12-28-2019, 07:58 PM
dave.connor.161 dave.connor.161 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Age: 52
Posts: 1
I got one for my son for Christmas. Took it to the range yesterday, and it was a lot of fun. Took a minute to get used to the rear sight, but once I did, it was pretty accurate.
  #10  
Old 12-29-2019, 09:59 PM
DCH DCH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas
Age: 69
Posts: 306
I really like mine. I like the grips, the sights and the finish is holding up well. The only thing it really needs is a 10 round cylinder.
  #11  
Old 01-06-2020, 03:40 PM
Hawg1 Hawg1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
I think it would be fun to buy one and get a slick set of grips. But the grip fit is confusing. Can tell what grips match.
Blackhawk, Vaquero, Wrangler, Single Six, Super Single Six, Old Army are interchangeable. They are not interchangeable with the New Vaquero or Super Blackhawk. Altamont makes some nice grips. https://www.altamontco.com
  #12  
Old 01-13-2020, 04:04 PM
TRSOtto TRSOtto is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,690
I saw one for the first time yesterday at a gun show.

Damn......no wonder they sell for $160.
  #13  
Old 01-13-2020, 04:21 PM
guy sajer's Avatar
guy sajer guy sajer is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
...
Damn......no wonder they sell for $160.
$5 over wholesale is a good price . That dealer's in the wrong business .
__________________
Condition Yellow

We remember our friends Art , Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
  #14  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:02 PM
Hawg1 Hawg1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
I saw one for the first time yesterday at a gun show.

Damn......no wonder they sell for $160.
Gun shop near me had a couple for that. I didn't like the finish so I bought a used Single Six for 250.00. Even tho it does have adjustable sights on it.
  #15  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:24 PM
Dddrees Dddrees is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
I saw one for the first time yesterday at a gun show.

Damn......no wonder they sell for $160.
Yeah, there's a reason it sells for less. I guess they do seem to be somewhat popular but I've yet to see any flattering pictures of this gun yet to even make me consider one. It may very well function just fine as one would expect from Ruger but lower cost rarely means it's going to look very good. Maybe if I were in the market for a lower priced option I might chose it over a Heritage Rough Rider but frankly I would rather pay more for something that looks a bit nicer like a Single Ten or Single Six.
  #16  
Old 01-14-2020, 09:26 AM
TRSOtto TRSOtto is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy sajer View Post
$5 over wholesale is a good price . That dealer's in the wrong business .
That was a guy with a table at the OGCA show. He had 4 of them, all NIB. Who knows what he paid for them.
  #17  
Old 01-14-2020, 12:46 PM
guy sajer's Avatar
guy sajer guy sajer is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,040
I know what he paid if he bought from a distributor . He's wasting his time . Must need the cash or something .
__________________
Condition Yellow

We remember our friends Art , Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
  #18  
Old 01-22-2020, 08:31 PM
Amos Iron Wolf Amos Iron Wolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Del Rio, Texas
Age: 62
Posts: 7,771
Just out of curiosity let me ask this. If you were in the market for a knockaround .22 single action in this sub-$200 price range would you pick the Heritage in .22 LR only running around $130 or the Ruger Wrangler at $183 (price at Ky Gun Online at the moment)?

The Wrangler is obviously intended to compete against the Rough Rider. So for those who have seen or handled both, which would you choose? Why?
__________________
"I wish I was stupid enough to be optimistic." Unknown

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
  #19  
Old 01-22-2020, 09:19 PM
TRSOtto TRSOtto is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
Just out of curiosity let me ask this. If you were in the market for a knockaround .22 single action in this sub-$200 price range would you pick the Heritage in .22 LR only running around $130 or the Ruger Wrangler at $183 (price at Ky Gun Online at the moment)?

The Wrangler is obviously intended to compete against the Rough Rider. So for those who have seen or handled both, which would you choose? Why?
I'd spend another $25 and pick up a used Single Six. Plenty of them around for $225.

Seriously. I think the Wrangler is just about the cheapest looking POS ever put up for sale by a reputable company. If I was a Ruger sales rep, I'd be embarrassed to try and sell those things.

But that's just my opinion. Clearly if Olde English sold 90 of em...... somebody's buying em.
  #20  
Old 01-22-2020, 10:02 PM
guy sajer's Avatar
guy sajer guy sajer is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,040
That's a pretty harsh assessment .

Being a retailer I tend to look at most guns as a product and personally think the Wrangler is good addition to the Ruger line . New Single Six's are north of $500 and not selling . The Wrangler get's a new Ruger into the hands of a customer that otherwise may not have ever owned one . They're taking a market share from Heritage , cutting into their customer base . The Wrangler guy then may make his next gun a Ruger too .

We've had zero Wrangler complaints mechanical or otherwise and the cerekote finish is evenly applied .
The Heritage is a good buy too . Mechanically sound but the finish is noticeably "thin" but not awful . Also many options to choose from .

The Wrangler count is now 103 .
__________________
Condition Yellow

We remember our friends Art , Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
  #21  
Old 01-23-2020, 12:22 AM
Amos Iron Wolf Amos Iron Wolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Del Rio, Texas
Age: 62
Posts: 7,771
I've had a number of Single Sixes over the years. Great guns, but I have had too many that required the rear sight be cranked far enough to one side to get on target that the look just bothers me. That's the only gun I've ever had that on and I've had quite a few adjustable sighted guns. I used to compete in NRA Hunter Pistol with open sights and place. So it's not a lack of knowledge thing. Only seemed to be an issue with the New Models. I don't recall that with the old 3-Screw SS.

Down this way used Single Sixes tend to hit the $300 mark unless they have some heavy wear. So that can be a factor for someone wanting a basic, but solid .22 single action for tossing in the tool box or ATV on the ranch or farm. Or just in general. Before I retired we pretty easily sold every Heritage that came through the shop. A lot of folks just wanted a .22 revolver for plinking or banging around.

This thread has me kind of thinking. I don't have any kind of .22 revolver at the moment. While the Rough Riders I have shot did fine, being an old fart I just don't care for the safety on them. For the price, usually bought used, I can live with it. But I'd rather not.

I might give some thought to the bronze colored Wrangler for a plinking gun and companion to a Henry .22 Lever gun I have. From the pictures I've seen I don't much care for the black or silver guns. I could live with the bronze as a knock around, just for fun gun. Yep. I probably should have stayed out of this thread. Might end up costing money. At least it's a heck of lot less than some of the other threads have cost me in the past.
__________________
"I wish I was stupid enough to be optimistic." Unknown

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
  #22  
Old 01-23-2020, 12:46 AM
Dddrees Dddrees is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy sajer View Post
That's a pretty harsh assessment .

Being a retailer I tend to look at most guns as a product and personally think the Wrangler is good addition to the Ruger line . New Single Six's are north of $500 and not selling . The Wrangler get's a new Ruger into the hands of a customer that otherwise may not have ever owned one . They're taking a market share from Heritage , cutting into their customer base . The Wrangler guy then may make his next gun a Ruger too .

We've had zero Wrangler complaints mechanical or otherwise and the cerekote finish is evenly applied .
The Heritage is a good buy too . Mechanically sound but the finish is noticeably "thin" but not awful . Also many options to choose from .

The Wrangler count is now 103 .
There's no doubt why Ruger came out with it and I would agree it'll be success for them it's just that I'm not the type of consumer they are targeting nor will they get me to buy one.

I'm just not in the market for the cheaper alternative because there are a good number of reasons why they are cheaper. I would much rather have fewer nicer guns than many not so nice.

Personally I don't think his assessment was harsh it's just the way some us tend to view this kind of product. In fact I actually purchased a Freedom Arms 97 in 22LR. I don't even compete or intend on doing so. Heck, I"ll probably never be good enough anyway. There's a reason why some are just willing to spend more and a good bit of that is fit and finish. Fit maybe fine here but that finish although functional is a turn off. So it's really no different why someone would rather buy a Semi Custom 1911 vs either an RIA or even a Dan Wesson. Expectations and a willingness to pay more.

Last edited by Dddrees; 01-23-2020 at 12:49 AM.
  #23  
Old 01-23-2020, 03:33 AM
stanhou stanhou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
Just out of curiosity let me ask this. If you were in the market for a knockaround .22 single action in this sub-$200 price range would you pick the Heritage in .22 LR only running around $130 or the Ruger Wrangler at $183 (price at Ky Gun Online at the moment)?

The Wrangler is obviously intended to compete against the Rough Rider. So for those who have seen or handled both, which would you choose? Why?
I have a Wrangler and enjoy it. I hated the looks of the safety on the Heritage so much I refused to look at them. But two weeks ago I was in a local membership discount store and they had a a Heritage Rough Rider on sale for $100. Couldn’t pass it up for that price. It shoots surprisingly well. It has good balance and feels good in my hand. Accuracy was slightly better than my Wrangler on its first outing. Besides the ugly safety the only disadvantage to the Heritage is it should only be carried with an empty chamber under the hammer.
__________________
NRA Life Member
Hunter Education Instructor
  #24  
Old 01-23-2020, 01:11 PM
TRSOtto TRSOtto is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
There's no doubt why Ruger came out with it and I would agree it'll be success for them it's just that I'm not the type of consumer they are targeting nor will they get me to buy one.

I'm just not in the market for the cheaper alternative because there are a good number of reasons why they are cheaper. I would much rather have fewer nicer guns than many not so nice.

Personally I don't think his assessment was harsh it's just the way some us tend to view this kind of product. In fact I actually purchased a Freedom Arms 97 in 22LR. I don't even compete or intend on doing so. Heck, I"ll probably never be good enough anyway. There's a reason why some are just willing to spend more and a good bit of that is fit and finish. Fit maybe fine here but that finish although functional is a turn off. So it's really no different why someone would rather buy a Semi Custom 1911 vs either an RIA or even a Dan Wesson. Expectations and a willingness to pay more.
You stated my opinion MUCH more elequently than I ever could!!!!
  #25  
Old 01-23-2020, 01:29 PM
Dddrees Dddrees is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
You stated my opinion MUCH more elequently than I ever could!!!!
Thanks, but I"ve done it your way as well because in my eyes it just looks like crap.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved