Forgive me father, for I have sinned - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 09:52 PM

Glocks are good guns. Just boring as hell. And it's not 1995 anymore. There are plenty of other polymer pistols that are just as good -- or, in certain aspects (grip shape, stock sights, etc.), far better.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_TX View Post
Glocks are good guns. Just boring as hell. And it's not 1995 anymore. There are plenty of other polymer pistols that are just as good -- or, in certain aspects (grip shape, stock sights, etc.), far better.
You mean it's not 1986 any more (I believe that was when Glock pistols were first sold in America, could be off by a couple of years).
Old 02-16-2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkmac View Post
Still waiting on proof that Glocks are bad wespons.
How many trigger recalls; oops, I mean "upgrades" are they up to now? What about incorrectly rated recoil springs that caused Gen 5 to be jammamatics? Or not functioning correctly when tactical lights were mounted? Or flew apart during the Frisbee tests?

Asking for a friend...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Quote:
You mean it's not 1986 any more (I believe that was when Glock pistols were first sold in America, could be off by a couple of years).
I was just referring to a time when there wasn’t much in the way of quality polymer striker-fired alternatives to Glock, not to when Glock was released.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
Gaston lives in a castle with a hot young wife and has a personal fortune of approx. $1.5 BILLION. Then there is Colt hobbling along to it's next bankruptcy/reorganization. Who's winning, chief?
Absolutely no different than the first brainiac that decided to put water from the Dallas municipal water supply into plastic bottles and sell it. The public is stupid and this guy made a fortune off of it because he was the first. Glock continues to sell their bottled water because of brilliant marketing, period. Hollywood and police departments are the reason for the success. There are plenty of polymer pistolas out there that far exceed the attributes of the Glock. Glock is inexpensive and will continue to sell featureless guns based on price. No one said Gaston was stupid.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:10 AM

I, myself, as stated above, tend to find Caniks better than Glocks, but I just don't see why people get all worked up over hating Glocks and Gaston Glock. Sure, Glocks aren't perfect. Sure, Glocks aren't the best "value" by some metric. Sure, they lack innovation to a degree.

However, attacking them is about the least innovative thing one can do. They're not going to go away. 1911s aren't going to go away, either. Glocks are not a threat to our ownership and appreciation of 1911s.

Also, Gaston Glock did make the first commercially-viable plastic gun, and did a good job of it. He was not a gun expert; he was a plastics expert. He deserves to be rich for making something new that worked and met a need at a lower cost.

Frankly, it almost sounds like some guys on here would like to BAN Glocks...No!
Old 02-17-2020, 06:42 AM

You are missing the point completely. There is nothing wrong with the gun itself, or Gaston for that matter. The blowhards that continue to compare them to weapons that are three levels above them are the problem. The conversations that I have overheard at the counter really cement the fact that a huge part of the public are brainwashed. $500 and out the door and another loudmouth has been born to proclaim they are the best guns in the world. Jeeze, if just one time Glock would take the time to refine (sights, trigger) and add style they may have something. Of course, they don’t have to. They are selling cheap, unrefined guns like hot cakes. The sooner their owners quit crooning over them, the sooner the haters will dial it back. Until then...............
Old 02-17-2020, 02:23 PM

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
Wait a minute, that sure ain't a Glock you're holding there?

Last edited by Butthead; 02-17-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:55 PM

peccavi
Old 02-17-2020, 05:24 PM

The Borg managed to learn how to melt 4 Glocks together. What you see there is the result of the steel barrels falling off from the softened plastic when a hip draw is performed too quickly. This technique of fusing the frames together began when huge piles of them were found floating in an orbit around Altair IV. It was apparent that some civilization figured they were garbage.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:56 PM

I have nothing against Glocks. They are very reliable polymer striker-fired pistols. The sights, ergonomics, and triggers suck, though. There are lots of other better plastic pistols on today's market as far as I'm concerned.

Now my Colt WC LW Commander -- it's in a different class. Yes, I could have bought 2 or 3 Glocks for the price of the Colt and the extra Wilson mags. No, thanks.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:08 PM

People get awfully worked up over the merits of different guns. Would we rather our law-abiding neighbors all had Glocks or no guns at all? They are fine. It shouldn't hurt people's feelings if somebody loves his own Glock too much. I hope such a person would practice a lot with the Glock so he could use it effectively if the time came.

The AK-47 has an important role to play in the world, it doesn't mean there aren't fancier rifles for other roles, locations, and budgets. The same is true for the Glock.

The Glock's popularity is also why Glock needs to be conservative about making changes. Although they do make changes, they have very really concerns about maintaining consistency and compatibility.

I certainly don't love Glock triggers, but some customers would be upset if they were made too light. For all I know, some might even complain if they were too crisp, though that is hard to imagine. For all the criticism of Glock, Sig Sauer is the company that firmly believes in releasing beta test versions of their pistols to the US military and general public to work out any final problems. (However, I generally prefer Sig Sauers to Glocks. I was raised to never buy a vehicle in its first model year.)

Glock does sell most of their pistols with upgraded sights, if one wishes. Furthermore, the basic sights clearly cost less than a dollar, so one doesn't have to feel bad throwing them away and replacing them with any of a million other readily-available options.

The cheap default sights on Glocks raise the question of value. I don't believe Glocks present great value. I will again say Caniks are where I would look for value. Still, the only real way to determine what something is worth is to see what somebody will pay for it. Sure, that price is elevated because of Glock's marketshare and long history of marketing efforts, but other companies are free to compete.

Rather than get all stressed and upset about ignorant people's excessively-positive views of their Glock, we should give these people the opportunity to try a fine 1911, CZ TSO, or something on that level. That is how you educate and make converts.

All the Star Trek talk reminds me of an episode from the original series where Captain Kirk is asking why, despite orders, Scotty got into a fight with Klingons at a neutral star base. It wasn't because they insulted Scotty, himself, or Star Fleet, or Captain Kirk, it was because they called the Enterprise a garbage scow.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
There are plenty of new guns that are better than Glocks in many respects. However none of them are "Glock killers', regardless of what YouTube experts might claim. Glock is too firmly entrenched in the US and global handgun market, and will dominate it for the foreseeable future just off of name recognition alone. As proof all you need to do is stop anyone on the street and ask them if they know what a Glock is. Then ask them if they know what a Walther PPQ is. They'll probably just reply "that's James Bond's gun, right?"
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:51 PM

Glocks do have a special way that they are supposed to be held when fired. Any gangbanger can show you the proper technique if you don't already know.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:09 AM

Entonces, ¿qué pistola de plástico es mejor, Glock o M&P?
Old 02-18-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
I have nothing against Glocks. They are very reliable polymer striker-fired pistols. The sights, ergonomics, and triggers suck, though. There are lots of other better plastic pistols on today's market as far as I'm concerned.

Now my Colt WC LW Commander -- it's in a different class. Yes, I could have bought 2 or 3 Glocks for the price of the Colt and the extra Wilson mags. No, thanks.
All that anyone is asking, is that the Glock owners admit this! Denial is futile.
Then we can go on our way....
Old 02-18-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
The Borg managed to learn how to melt 4 Glocks together. What you see there is the result of the steel barrels falling off from the softened plastic when a hip draw is performed too quickly. This technique of fusing the frames together began when huge piles of them were found floating in an orbit around Altair IV. It was apparent that some civilization figured they were garbage.
You sure it didn't just catastrophically fail because it was four first generation Glock 23's fused together?

Geordie LaForge: Captain, we found four crescent shaped brass slivers, plus a guppy belly shaped shell casing in the remains of the Borg.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2020, 03:17 PM

I turned 70 last month and up till a month ago I'd always been a 1911 (first and foremost) and revolver guy but for some reason I got a wild hair and purchased a new Glock 17 Gen 5 about three weeks ago......not only is it my first poly and striker fired handgun but it's also the first time I've ever owned anything chambered in 9mm.

So far I've ran 300 rounds of Winch. white box 124 gr. FMJ through the G17.....I'm not much of a paper puncher so I always shoot outdoors at the 25 yd. steel gongs and the G17 rings the 25 yd. gongs so I'm content with it.

Naturally grip wise the G17 feels a lot different in my hand than a 1911 and the trigger is way, way different than what I've ever shot before and I'm just starting to get comfortable with it.

I knew prior to purchasing the G17 that I was not going to start reloading 9mm so I purchased 2000 rounds of Speer Lawman 124 gr. TMJ from Target Sports for $180.00 shipped per 1000.....between rotating the G17 with other guns when I go to the range a couple times a week (weather permitting) I figure that should last me till late summer after I finish shooting the remaining 300 rounds of Winch. I have on hand.

The G17 is different from what I've always shot but not in a bad way and I certainly don't have any buyers remorse......I plan on keeping it.
Attached Thumbnails
Glock  G17 Gen 5.jpg  

NRA Range Safety Officer.

2B1Ask1.

Last edited by R1-S; 02-18-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1-S View Post
I turned 70 last month and up till a month ago I'd always been a 1911 (first and foremost) and revolver guy but for some reason I got a wild hair and purchased a new Glock 17 Gen 5, with the front and rear slide serrations, about three weeks ago......not only is it my first poly and striker fired handgun but it's also the first time I've ever owned anything chambered in 9mm.

So far I've ran 300 rounds of Winch. white box 124 gr. FMJ through the G17.....I'm not much of a paper puncher so I always shoot outdoors at the 25 yd. steel gongs and the G17 rings the gongs.

Naturally grip wise the G17 feels a lot different in my hand than a 1911 and the trigger is way, way different than what I've ever shot before and I'm just starting to get comfortable with it.

I knew prior to purchasing the G17 that I was not going to start reloading 9mm so I purchased 2000 rounds of Speer Lawman 124 gr. TMJ from Target Sports for $180.00 shipped per 1000.....between rotating the G17 with other guns when I go to the range a couple times a week (weather permitting) I figure that should last me till late summer after I finish shooting the rest of the 300 Winch. I have on hand.

The G17 is different from what I've always shot but not in a bad way and I certainly don't have any buyers remorse......I plan on keeping it.
Wow! I can't believe it's possible to enjoy shooting different types of handguns. At first, I was going to blame it on the indiscretions of youth, but you say you're 70, so I just can't understand it. Could it be that 1911s are wonderful AND the millions of people who love Glocks aren't all complete idiots?

Next thing I know, people will start claiming shot placement is more important than caliber with handguns in self-defense situations. I'm not sure I would be able to handle that...
Old 02-18-2020, 04:31 PM

AND the millions of people who love Glocks aren't all complete idiots?

Nicely placed question mark.....
Old 02-19-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkmac View Post
Still waiting on proof that Glocks are bad wespons.
Smiley face!!!! It was a joke. Lighten up for gosh sakes.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Entonces, ¿qué pistola de plástico es mejor, Glock o M&P?
Los de CZ, sin duda ninguna!!!!!

Apples to apples, then the P-10. However, since I prefer hammers and safeties, then for me it's the P-07s and P-09s. It's the only plastic I can bring myself to actually own. Excellent pistols, for what they are, and comfortable to shoot... and cheaper, even. Also, the inexpensive .22 conversion kits make them great training pistols as well. Tough to beat CZ, really. If only they were the marketing powerhouse that Glock is, the world might be a slightly different place!!!
Old 02-19-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
I have nothing against Glocks...triggers suck, though.
Yes, they do, undeniably. I took this knowledge with me into the first match I shot with a Glock -- after shooting my first 100+ matches with 1911s -- and boy was I surprised at how little a wonderful trigger contributes to one's match performance.

I was using a Johnny Glock trigger at about 4 lbs with pretravel and overtravel minimized -- better than the average Glock but still 100% a Glock trigger. Which feels nowhere near as good as even an average 1911 trigger, much less my competition 1911 triggers. Not even in the same zip code.

BUT, Glocks are shootable as heck. I totally surprised myself with how well I was able to shoot. The timer and and the steel poppers laying on the ground and the holes in the cardboard do not lie. You can do well with Glocks. The trigger doesn't get in the way.

There are other attributes than the trigger that make a gun shootable or not.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunBugBit View Post
...There are other attributes than the trigger that make a gun shootable or not.
Mainly reliability and Glock has that in spades. As well, no modern service handgun is nearly as "user friendly" as regards self maintenance as Glock. I had to replace a trigger spring on a Walther PPQ that turned to mush at approx. 12K rds. years ago and it was not something most shooters could have done. The PPQ, like the HK VP9, has far too many "doo hickeys" & "gizmos" that are needlessly complicated and warrant a trip to a factory armorer for maintenance beyond a normal cleaning. The P320 is innovative, but the ignition system is not easily serviced by your average range Gomer.

Ironically, I was talking to a South African fella just yesterday who lives there and is an IPSC shooter. He told me that if he were limited to just one handgun it would be a G17. That says something as their murder rate is nine times that of the U.S.

As for Canik, I don't relish giving $$ to a Muslim country run by a dictator. That's never worked out well for us in the past.

Guy Noir, private eye.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunBugBit View Post
Yes, they do, undeniably. I took this knowledge with me into the first match I shot with a Glock -- after shooting my first 100+ matches with 1911s -- and boy was I surprised at how little a wonderful trigger contributes to one's match performance.

I was using a Johnny Glock trigger at about 4 lbs with pretravel and overtravel minimized -- better than the average Glock but still 100% a Glock trigger. Which feels nowhere near as good as even an average 1911 trigger, much less my competition 1911 triggers. Not even in the same zip code.

BUT, Glocks are shootable as heck. I totally surprised myself with how well I was able to shoot. The timer and and the steel poppers laying on the ground and the holes in the cardboard do not lie. You can do well with Glocks. The trigger doesn't get in the way.

There are other attributes than the trigger that make a gun shootable or not.
The trigger thing is not the only issue here. It is extremely common to change the trigger, sights and barrel. Now whadda ya got in it?? Just do it right in the first place. It stops being a Glock and becomes an aftermarket Barbie Doll in short order. Although the 1911 is highly customizable too, the difference is that it doesn’t need all that crap to be cool as hell!