Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-14-2019, 12:24 AM
Banned

Reality?

Hello I have a few questions....

Most prepping fantasies seem to be set in spring or summer. Everything is nice. The bomb/plague hits, and the hardy prepper sets out into the wilderness to live off of berries and animals and what he or she can look from abandoned homes.

The issue is,,,, that since Y2K, the concept has been "flee the city, go to the suburbs and rural areas. The farmers have lots of food to feed you"

That's what was published in many Michigan papers before Y2K hit. They wanted the non city folk to house and feed the city folk for the rest of their livs.

If the power grid goes down, everything goes down. Look at the last big winter storm that hit the east coast in winter.... at least a week without electricity and heating....

How long do you think new York city would last if they lost power, heat from natural gas, and WATER....
Old 09-14-2019, 07:40 PM

Reality? Here you go----
https://www.foxnews.com/world/drone-...ty-iran-rebels

If a drone strike could take out a major petroleum hub over there
It could take out a major petroleum hub anywhere
And a bunch of other infrastructure
If the city folk you're so afraid of need to head for the hills, they'll be riding bicycles and they'll be riding uphill

I wonder if the city folk who came to the relief of the hill folk who were burned out of their homes in last year's monster fires stay awake worried about them hill folk comin' into town to steal everyone's Tontino's Pizza rolls the next time?
Old 09-14-2019, 09:34 PM

Exactly what I was going to point out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
Reality? Here you go----

If the city folk you're so afraid of need to head for the hills, they'll be riding bicycles and they'll be riding uphill

I wonder if the city folk who came to the relief of the hill folk who were burned out of their homes in last year's monster fires stay awake worried about them hill folk comin' into town to steal everyone's Tontino's Pizza rolls the next time?
If the pizza guy will no longer make deliveries to your house. Then you really need to go to plan B. Just sayin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2019, 03:32 PM
Banned

just illustrates the point, no one wants to face what will actually happen, but just fantasize about a "red dawn" meets "grizzly adams" fantasy
Old 09-17-2019, 04:47 AM

If they lost power, gas and water unexpectedly, I’d guess there would be a slow drift beginning about 2-3 days after any event happened of people who could afford to stay in hotels, etc. About a week in it would be steady flow, with active looting occurring as people left. By about 3 weeks in, there would be a a significant increase in movement with security dropping significantly and about 5 weeks in the locust movement would start.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:20 AM

The true reality of it is.

That we are about nine meals away from anarchy at any given time.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Reality? Here you go----

Drone attacks are a major threat defined in US Military.

Ever watch Black Mirror?
or watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbLLNIW06CA

Small hobby prop-style drones can carry fairly large amounts of kinetic energy, and are for the most part very hard to detect. They can easily just be programmed to goto to a GPS location. Scary shiat! Bigger drones can carry a world of hurt.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Starvation has a long, well documented History of success with subjecting a population(the Ukraine under Stalin for example.)
Old 09-17-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
Drone attacks are a major threat defined in US Military.

Ever watch Black Mirror?
or watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbLLNIW06CA

Small hobby prop-style drones can carry fairly large amounts of kinetic energy, and are for the most part very hard to detect. They can easily just be programmed to goto to a GPS location. Scary shiat! Bigger drones can carry a world of hurt.
And some people who brought us 9-11 recently vowed to wage further attacks.
Drone technology is economic, widely available and efficient.

That's Reality.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:41 PM

Inner cities are death traps. Totally dependent upon services provided. In 2-3 days, suburbs will see people camping in private yards, drinking pool water. In a week, elevated deaths.

There's a couple books by author William R. Forstchen called One Second After (A John Matherson Novel), and One Year After: A John Matherson Novel detailing the effects of an EMP smuggled in to the Gulf of Mexico and detonated over the US. Non-hardened electronics are knocked out. If you haven't considered how dependent all of us are on the internet, mass transport and supply chain for things like heart and blood pressure medication, or maybe insulin, you'll realize that the inner cities will only be the first to perish. 60% of us who weren't meant to live will die as the country reverts back to an 18th-19th century infrastructure. Science and technology allows us to have the population that we do.

Ain't nothin but a fact of life.
Captain, Sons of the American Revolution

Last edited by AustinWiseGuy; 09-17-2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 09-17-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
And some people who brought us 9-11 recently vowed to wage further attacks.
Drone technology is economic, widely available and efficient.

That's Reality.
Totally agree.
1993 and 9/11 are the same people who in 1993 failed, but the 1993 documentary had a chilling line at the end "dont worry, we'll get it next time". Their mission in life is to continue their jihad!

Way too many Americans who think the rest of the world is a utopian place of peace signs and love. The animals there chop off the heads of people and kick it around like a soccer ball, thats their lunch-time activity !!! Turning places of sand into glass is ok by me.

And yes, cheaper & easier makes the threat even more worrisome !
Old 09-17-2019, 06:10 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketshaver View Post
How long do you think new York city would last if they lost power, heat from natural gas, and WATER....

With ANY luck, the end of the world will hit mere minutes before the next polar vortex (THANK YOU global climate WARMING change! ). That'll mean 10,000,000 less Yankees for the farmers to hafta shoo-... I mean, "feed."
Old 09-17-2019, 07:53 PM

Authentic farmers grow food
Authentic cooks, cook food
Authentic Doctors and nurses heal the sick and injured
Authentic peace officers keep the peace
Authentic families take care of each other
That much survives. It is well documented in places like Cambodia during the Pol Pot regime, the Ukraine during Stalin, and Mexico during the Calles dictatorship.
It ain't pretty, but it's not the picture some of you are painting.
If you're world is so un-Authentic, what are you going to do when you run out of ammo and can't shoot anymore people?
Old 09-17-2019, 09:54 PM

So judging from what you have to say.

Quote:
Authentic farmers grow food
Authentic cooks, cook food
Authentic Doctors and nurses heal the sick and injured
Authentic peace officers keep the peace
Authentic families take care of each other
That much survives. It is well documented in places like Cambodia during the Pol Pot regime, the Ukraine during Stalin, and Mexico during the Calles dictatorship.
It ain't pretty, but it's not the picture some of you are painting.
If you're world is so un-Authentic, what are you going to do when you run out of ammo and can't shoot anymore people?
You are the only one that has figured out all of the angles. Please feel free to educate us Luddites further.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
You are the only one that has figured out all of the angles. Please feel free to educate us Luddites further.
Read actual accounts by people who lived through these catastrophes. Better yet, seek them out---many are still alive today, especially the Cambodians, and listen to them.

During a recent hurricane in Puerto Rico there were reports of mob violence. The descriptions of the mobs weren't unlike what I read being discussed here---people waiting for a disaster in order to act outside the law because it's considered "fair game."
Old 09-18-2019, 12:04 PM

Been there and done that.

Quote:
Read actual accounts by people who lived through these catastrophes. Better yet, seek them out---many are still alive today, especially the Cambodians, and listen to them.

During a recent hurricane in Puerto Rico there were reports of mob violence. The descriptions of the mobs weren't unlike what I read being discussed here---people waiting for a disaster in order to act outside the law because it's considered "fair game."
My wife and I are set up to live for years on our own quite well baring the unforeseen, and left unmolested. And if we are molested we have plenty of ammo.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:34 PM
Banned

does everyone think that the city water and gas and electric utilities are actally gonna be working after it happens?
Old 09-19-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
does everyone think that the city water and gas and electric utilities are actally gonna be working after it happens?
😀
Old 09-20-2019, 06:03 PM

You guys are freakin out for no reason. FEMA will take care of us. Just pack your bag and head for the superdome. What could go wrong?????
Old 09-20-2019, 07:26 PM
Banned

No seriously, everyone has this purile fantasy that everything will keep running. You know, public utilities like natural gas, water, and even electricity.

No way to get coal to electric plants, ie no gas, means no power is made. If the operators were still alive in time to do a complete shutdown of nuclear reactors, you will NEVER get those reactors online and running again unless you can hook them up to a completely functional national power grid.

SO all your left with is hydro electric.... and If something happens to lines, say a simple storm, you wont get replacement parts once everything in inventory is used up. Wait, no gas for line trucks so no replacement parts are going to be needed.

No natural gas so your in home natural gas powered generator will be useless.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
No seriously, everyone has this purile fantasy that everything will keep running. You know, public utilities like natural gas, water, and even electricity.

No way to get coal to electric plants, ie no gas, means no power is made. If the operators were still alive in time to do a complete shutdown of nuclear reactors, you will NEVER get those reactors online and running again unless you can hook them up to a completely functional national power grid.

SO all your left with is hydro electric.... and If something happens to lines, say a simple storm, you wont get replacement parts once everything in inventory is used up. Wait, no gas for line trucks so no replacement parts are going to be needed.

No natural gas so your in home natural gas powered generator will be useless.

I have no fantasy at all. if the grid goes down in a big way we all screwed. Those in the big cities will die first. Us country folks will last longer. Once the fragments of civilization band together they will prey on the small home steads.

Not to be a Debbie downer but if shtf like in the movies would anyone really want to live in that world?? If it was going to be that bad then let me die in the initial blast. I say this due to having a bad heart not because I'm a *****.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:20 AM

I think you all ignore a couple of realities.

First off, disasters will happen.

2nd off, even if the very worst thing imaginable happens, there is an indomitable spirit in mankind that has been personified in America with a will to adapt, adopt, and overcome.

Sooner or later, what is will be rebuilt.

Who knows, we might even be able to do it better and more efficient when forced to do so by circumstances we cannot control.

And if you don't think that "The End Of The World As We Know It" hasn't already happened multiple times throughout history, you've been ignoring history.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinWiseGuy View Post
There's a couple books by author William R. Forstchen called One Second After.. and One Year After.. detailing the effects of an EMP smuggled in to the Gulf of Mexico and detonated over the US
There's a third book in the series - The Final Day.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
just illustrates

the point, no one wants to face what will actually happen, but just fantasize about a "red dawn" meets "grizzly adams" fantasy

You mean grizzly Adam's is fake???
Old 09-26-2019, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
I think you all ignore a couple of realities.

First off, disasters will happen.

2nd off, even if the very worst thing imaginable happens, there is an indomitable spirit in mankind that has been personified in America with a will to adapt, adopt, and overcome.

Sooner or later, what is will be rebuilt.

Who knows, we might even be able to do it better and more efficient when forced to do so by circumstances we cannot control.

And if you don't think that "The End Of The World As We Know It" hasn't already happened multiple times throughout history, you've been ignoring history.
What will happen is, NOTHING. Most of the world population will be wiped out. The Spanish flu outbreak will be considered a mild case of the sniffles in terms of shear numbers that are dead outright.

People like to assume that everything will instantly revert to an episode of the old Daniel Boone tv series starring Fess Parker. When if we were lucky, it would be more like Waterworld.

Look at the last big winter system that hit new England, things got shut down for days. Now imagine if they had lost electricity and gas for heating for say 3 weeks straight. Doubt more then 10% of the population would have had a chance at surviving. Now imagine if NOTHING came back on.

Total starvation, the only survivors would have been the ones out of town for vacation