First 1911: Dan Wesson Valor or Colt Competition - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-09-2017, 06:53 AM

of the 2 options that you have provided, the dan Wesson is a better choice from where I am sitting.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
I was recently looking to add a1911 Commander to my 1911s. I choose a Wiley Clapp Colt as it was supposed to be a really good Colt. I was very disappointed by the way it handled and the number of failures it had while breaking in. Not known for my patience I took a loss selling it back to my LGS. I then bought a Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail. What a boring gun. Super accurate, no failures of any kind with any ammo even my handloaded JHPs. My friend shot it well. A little tight to disassemble but it is getting looser. I would recommend the DW everyday.

For those interested in cost: Colt $1200 DW $1450
I was gonna ask, aren't those pretty close in price?

I guess I would get the best gun I could afford. The Colt I have, though I love it, is pretty sorry. Sure it's a 3 inch but come on. Even keeping all rounds on a human silhouette is a stretch. It's easy to see why, the barrel fit is terrible. No wonder Colt is going down the tubes. The proof is always in the pudding.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:48 AM

The Colt is nice but the DW is in another class of 1911's. In my humble opinion it gives up little to the semi-customs. If money is not a problem the DW would be my choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monadh View Post
I want to repeat myself that the blued series 70 Colt Competition would be the way to go. Mine is a series 80 9mm. I had to send it back to Colt to fix an ejection issue. It was gone about 5 weeks IIRC, and it came back perfect. No ejection issues whatsoever, and very accurate.

The series 80 trigger is not bad as some would suggest. Mine consistently breaks within an ounce of 4 pounds every time I test it, and it breaks cleanly.

Get the Colt, you will never regret it.

Then get the Dan Wesson.

Then get the Les Baer.

Then get the Wilson/Nighthawk/Guncrafter.

Then get something made by Alchemy.

Then get professional medical help. You're addicted and you have a problem, like the rest of us here.
You're right! I'm addicted and I don't even have one yet!
Old 12-10-2017, 03:10 AM

Hands down, I would save for the DW.

Here's my reasoning:

You are NEVER going to be upset that you waited a bit and bought a higher quality weapon.

I'm also not in the camp of "working your way up" in situations like these. You only end up spending more money in the long run.

I value quality over quantity. I'd rather have one or two really nice guns than a bunch of "middle of the road" guns

My first 1911 was a Wilson for whatever that's worth. The 1911 bug had bitten and I knew it's what I ultimately wanted so I just saved. I don't regret the decision at all.

Welcome to the forum btw!
Old 12-10-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
YoitsJT,

Welcome.

You are right that the Valor and the Colt are in two different classes of 1911s. If this is your first 1911, I would recommend getting the Colt, but you have to decide between .45 and 9mm.

Why the Colt? It will be well made with some looser tolerances. You can shoot it and it should do well for you. It should be easier to disassemble for cleaning and reassemble. If you scratch it through use or give it an idiot scratch when reassembling, you might not be happy having done so, but it will not be the end of the world.

The Valor will be much better built and finished, as it should be given the price difference. It will be beautiful, and you will hate yourself if you give it an idiot scratch. It will perform better too, but will the additional $700-1000 for the Valor be worth it?

Not yet. Maybe a year from now, but not at the start. That's my $.02. Good luck with your decision.
He's right. I love my Colts and I'm carrying one today, but a Valor will be a real prize for you after you are no longer a beginner.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:22 AM

Save up and get the Dan Wesson. It is worth saving up for.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:30 AM

I would go for the DAN WESSON, last month I sold my COLT COMPETITION, I expected it to have tighter tolerances but in my opinion it was more like an old USGI M1911A1.
IMHO.

Last edited by Sergio Natali; 12-11-2017 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:05 PM

I'll echo almost everyone else in this thread; save up and get the DW it will be money well spent.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:54 AM

I owned a DW and own a Colt Competition in 9mm.

The DW was better made with all forged parts.

But my Colt is just a fun gun! The 9mm Competition has been plagued with ejection/extraction issues. But the 45 runs fantastic!

The Colt in it self is a very well made pistol. I achieve 2" at 25 yards all day with my poor shooting.

The 9mm is easy and fun once the pistol is tinned. They are so fun and addictive!

Here are a couple of 5 round groups. The better was with WWB 115 grain ball.
Attached Thumbnails
20170910_144454_1513079529738.jpg   20170910_144801_1513079552998.jpg  
Old 12-12-2017, 08:00 AM

I have had quite a few Colts and still do. I just bought a Colt Wiley Clapp last November and it is one awesome Colt. I have it on my hip right now and as they it is everything you want and nothing you don't. Love the Commander size but I will tell you the alloy frame is lighter and it has more ummmph when you shoot it. It doesn't touch my Les Baer PII as a pistol though. I don't own a Dan Wesson but do have a hankering to get one. As for customer service I have never had to send a Colt back for service. I have had two Colt Competition models and the best thing I liked about them was the Blue Hi-Viz front sights. I was disappointed in the 9mm Competition but really liked the 45. The 9mm did not shoot as well as my old Combat Commanders. So I sold it to friend and he asked for his money back. It really wasn't such a bad gun just not as accurate as it should be. Another friend bought it and is very satisfied.

The moral of the story is buy the best gun you can afford and your percentage of being satisfied will be greatly increased.
God is on the side of the best shots.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:43 AM

I am not surprised at the "get the DW!" posts from many here. Everyone is acting as if that will be your only 1911, and if it is, "buy once cry once" becomes the best COA. Dan Wesson is an excellent 1911, and I have loved mine.

But in the same train of thought that says "get a beater car for your first car until you learn to drive", my recommendation to get the Colt until you become familiar with the 1911 still stands. There are some things about the 1911 that new owners should familiarize themselves with, and given you can scratch your pistol if you do not do them correctly, the cheaper pistol to start the better. I would be less inclined to put an "idiot scratch" on a Dan Wesson than I would marry a supermodel and ask her to get a tattoo on her face. Dan Wessons are beautiful, and yes they should outperform a Colt, but start with the Colt. Practice, learn, scratch, bang up, and otherwise beat on the Colt. Then when you get a DW or something better, you will know what NOT to do.

It's only common sense.
From here on, if I want something nice, Guncrafter will make it
COTEP CBOB0691

Last edited by monadh; 12-12-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:50 AM

I’ll summarize as to what’s the consensus opinion - and mine too once again:
It’s a no brainer - get the DW!!

And the cost in today’s market is fairly close.
(Info for those who are looking to save you money to get the lesser gun.)

Last edited by NDL; 12-12-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:53 AM

I own a Colt Competition and several Dan Wessons. The Colt is a good gun, but not in the same league as a DW in my mind. If you have the cash I'd definitely go for a Dan Wesson.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I am not surprised at the "get the DW!" posts from many here. Everyone is acting as if that will be your only 1911, and if it is, "buy once cry once" becomes the best COA. Dan Wesson is an excellent 1911, and I have loved mine.

But in the same train of thought that says "get a beater car for your first car until you learn to drive", my recommendation to get the Colt until you become familiar with the 1911 still stands. There are some things about the 1911 that new owners should familiarize themselves with, and given you can scratch your pistol if you do not do them correctly, the cheaper pistol to start the better. I would be less inclined to put an "idiot scratch" on a Dan Wesson than I would marry a supermodel and ask her to get a tattoo on her face. Dan Wessons are beautiful, and yes they should outperform a Colt, but start with the Colt. Practice, learn, scratch, bang up, and otherwise beat on the Colt. Then when you get a DW or something better, you will know what NOT to do.

It's only common sense.
EVERY time I think I've made a decision, you come in with another GREAT point and it sets me back to square one! Haha Thank you very much for responses and I greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:20 AM

Get the Colt!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:26 AM

DW hands down. As others have said, save a few dollars then buy the DW.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsJT View Post
EVERY time I think I've made a decision, you come in with another GREAT point and it sets me back to square one! Haha Thank you very much for responses and I greatly appreciate it.
The thing is, if you are not very particular about how the DW looks one year from now, get it, because you will not be disappointed in the better performance.

Me, I take great pride in my 1911s more than any other firearm I have with the sole exception of a 1960s Sako. I shoot my 1911s a LOT, but they all still look good.

You do what seems best to you, regardless of all the advice. Best of luck with the choice!
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 12-12-2017, 01:47 PM

You haven't said what your long term plans or finances are, but we all know it's highly likely you'll be wanting another 1911 at some point soon. You're getting sound advice and experiences from both "sides." The irony is that the question is really -- which one should you get first?

I got a Colt Combat Commander XSE for my first, shot it enough to get some good experience with the platform and learn what I like, don't like, and need out of a 1911. Then I sent my Colt off to a renowned smith to make those "custom" modifications.

Some time after that, I set my sights on getting a high-quality 1911 from one of the higher-end manufacturers. All my research led me to Dan Wesson.

So at this point, I have a Colt which was my first 1911, customized to be perfect for me, and a Dan Wesson which was exactly as I wanted it to be when I got it.

Taking this path has been longer and more expensive than simply saving up and buyimg the DW first, but for me, it has been much much more fulfilling and rewarding.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:47 PM

Sure the DW is a much better gun. But you have to ask yourself a question - Do I like to tinker? I have a beat up Colt XSE that I used to teach myself about 1911's. Completely went through it replacing parts with mostly Ed Brown stuff. It took many hours and days plus much money and effort. I now have a great gun with excellent internals. It was a great way to learn but it's still a Colt on the outside.

If that's not for you, get the Dan Wesson.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:50 PM

Valor all day long.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:56 PM

Get the Colt. Nothing says 1911 like Colt!
Old 12-12-2017, 08:22 PM

My first 1911 was a Dan Wesson Valor. I thought about getting a cheaper one since it was my first, but I decided to get a nice one as it would be the only 1911 I would own.

Nine 1911s later....
Old 12-12-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS01 View Post
My first 1911 was a Dan Wesson Valor. I thought about getting a cheaper one since it was my first, but I decided to get a nice one as it would be the only 1911 I would own.

Nine 1911s later, I have owned the Dan Wesson, 3 Colts, a Springfield TRP, 2 Les Baers, a Wilson Combat, and a Nighthawk.
I used my clairvoyance to fix that for you!
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 12-13-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I used my clairvoyance to fix that for you!
Thanks! Though the truth is they are six Dan Wesson production, and two custom Dan Wessons and a Walther 1911-22. I keep looking at other 1911s, but no other production gun seems as nice as the Wessons and I havenít been willing to spend the difference to get any of the semi-customs (especially wen I found out DE does custom 1911s).