First 1911: Dan Wesson Valor or Colt Competition - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 12:01 PM

First 1911: Dan Wesson Valor or Colt Competition

This is my first post so please be gentle.

As this is going to be my first real 1911 purchase (I own a GSG 1911 .22), I've done a ton of research and I've decided on a Dan Wesson Valor or Colt Competition. I know they are not on the same level and that is part of my why I'm here.

I have been checking the 11 local stores around me and none of them have had either one for sale over the past 5-6 months. I've held the DW Heritage and really liked it but did't like how the stainless finish wasn't constant throughout or I would probably be purchasing that.

This is mostly going to be a range gun and I don't plan on selling it so resale isn't a factor. I've dry fired a lot of different 1911s and shot the Springfield Range Officer about 16 rounds.

Here is my question, should I buy the Colt or save for another 5 months for the DW? Will I notice a huge difference between the two being so novice? Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-07-2017, 10:53 PM

YoitsJT,

Welcome.

You are right that the Valor and the Colt are in two different classes of 1911s. If this is your first 1911, I would recommend getting the Colt, but you have to decide between .45 and 9mm.

Why the Colt? It will be well made with some looser tolerances. You can shoot it and it should do well for you. It should be easier to disassemble for cleaning and reassemble. If you scratch it through use or give it an idiot scratch when reassembling, you might not be happy having done so, but it will not be the end of the world.

The Valor will be much better built and finished, as it should be given the price difference. It will be beautiful, and you will hate yourself if you give it an idiot scratch. It will perform better too, but will the additional $700-1000 for the Valor be worth it?

Not yet. Maybe a year from now, but not at the start. That's my $.02. Good luck with your decision.
From here on, if I want something nice, Guncrafter will make it
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 12-07-2017, 11:04 PM

Not even a Contest the Valor is the far superior gun in every way... Buy the Dan Wesson you will be happy you did... Don't settle for the Colt because its cheaper if you can swing the Valor even if it means saving for little bit to do so... Buy the best gun you can feasibly afford of these 2 the Valor is the clear winner. If you buy a stainless one it will be about 1500 if you get it online worth every penny. as for The idiot scratch mentioned above. The valor Slide stop is notched for much easier installation so this should not be an issue the Colt slide stop is not notched and the idiot scratch is easy to do without the slide stop notch.

Last edited by Wilsonedbrown; 12-07-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 11:06 PM

You can get a Valor from budsgunshop for under 1300$ right now. That's what I did.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:14 PM

You should trial shoot some 1911 samples at a range if possible.
Get the reality check on the 45 ACP and 9mm.
The 22lr is not a reality check.
Once you are convinced that you can enjoy and progress with the 1911, then decide on your option.
The sights alone may determine the model.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsJT View Post
This is my first post so please be gentle.

As this is going to be my first real 1911 purchase (I own a GSG 1911 .22), I've done a ton of research and I've decided on a Dan Wesson Valor or Colt Competition. I know they are not on the same level and that is part of my why I'm here.

I have been checking the 11 local stores around me and none of them have had either one for sale over the past 5-6 months. I've held the DW Heritage and really liked it but did't like how the stainless finish wasn't constant throughout or I would probably be purchasing that.

This is mostly going to be a range gun and I don't plan on selling it so resale isn't a factor. I've dry fired a lot of different 1911s and shot the Springfield Range Officer about 16 rounds.

Here is my question, should I buy the Colt or save for another 5 months for the DW? Will I notice a huge difference between the two being so novice? Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
Since you've dry fired a lot of 1911s, you probably would notice the significant difference between the two. But since it's your first 1911, I don't think there would be a huge difference in your level of satisfaction because they're both great guns. My personal opinion -- plan on getting both! And start with a Colt
Old 12-08-2017, 08:07 AM

It seems that with a little stretch you can get the DW - so I recommend that you go for it.

My experience has taught me that getting the best you can will save you money in the the long term.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:30 AM

I own both guns you're looking at. The Colt is a nice gun in and of itself, but the Valor is a notch above. Save your money and buy the Valor.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:49 AM

Welcome,

If you decide to save the $$ and go with the Colt, you owe the Springfield Range Officer a look first.

Like others have said, the Valor is a few steps up the food chain, but may not be your best choice for your 1st 1911 because they are so PRETTY!

And, you need to make a caliber decision. Shoot some of both calibers first but remember that for range use, a 9mm is quite a bit cheaper to shoot.

Since you can't find either locally, (I would have, and have had, the same problem), if you need to purchase online, your chances of getting a better finished, fitted and trouble free pistol are greater with the DW, but at a higher cost.

Good luck in your quest!
Old 12-08-2017, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the responses! I've always loved a stainless 1911 so I'm looking at the stainless versions of both. Also, I own a Glock 17 and 21, is shooting a 9mm vs .45 1911 comparable to shooting the two Glocks?
Old 12-08-2017, 09:28 AM

I would go with the DW, there is nothing wrong with starting with a nice gun. I started with the carry gun in my signature as my first and I have no regrets using it daily.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 12-08-2017, 09:49 AM

I was recently looking to add a1911 Commander to my 1911s. I choose a Wiley Clapp Colt as it was supposed to be a really good Colt. I was very disappointed by the way it handled and the number of failures it had while breaking in. Not known for my patience I took a loss selling it back to my LGS. I then bought a Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail. What a boring gun. Super accurate, no failures of any kind with any ammo even my handloaded JHPs. My friend shot it well. A little tight to disassemble but it is getting looser. I would recommend the DW everyday.

For those interested in cost: Colt $1200 DW $1450
Old 12-08-2017, 10:05 AM

First 1911: Dan Wesson Valor or Colt Competition

Customer Service should also be considered. I own both a DW Valor and a Colt. You may want to review the DW and Colt sub forums dealing with this issue. Enlightening! Good Luck.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:58 AM

FWIW, the DW is a series 70, the Colt is not.

That right there makes me say get the DW.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:37 PM

I bought an $800 1911 as my first (RO Operator 9mm) and ended up with the Valor .45 about 8 months later. I am now going through lengths to make my Operator as nice as the Valor.
So that said, either buy the less expensive one and know that you will likely end up with the more expensive one, or if you think that you are not prone to the addiction, just cut to the chase.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapping Twig View Post
FWIW, the DW is a series 70, the Colt is not.

That right there makes me say get the DW.
The model I was looking at is the Colt O1070CCS which is a 70 series. I've heard that makes a big difference and that's part of the reason I chose these two.

Rhino79, it didn't take me too long to be enlightened about the customer service aspect which I didn't originally think about.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:44 PM

Just FYI Colts CS stinks very long waits for repairs are not uncommon. Refusal to fix issues such as sights not being set for point of aim point of impact are not uncommon. DW has excellent CS and will cater to the customer much more then Colt will. Generally turn around times for DW repairs are a couple of weeks VS Colt few months. The guns and companies are apples to oranges..
Old 12-08-2017, 04:50 PM

My first 1911 was my Dan Wesson Pointman 9. The only problem is I am now spoiled. I also have a Springfield that I have put some money into, but it is not as nice as my DW.
This gun is a bargain and needs to be bought.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/724510995

This one's not too bad either.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/83797

Last edited by JNW; 12-08-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:24 PM

If I had bought my Valor as my first 1911 I would have saved quite a bit of money that I spent on other 1911s and ended up selling to fund my VBob.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24 View Post
If I had bought my Valor as my first 1911 I would have saved quite a bit of money that I spent on other 1911s and ended up selling to fund my VBob.
Probably would have cost you more, say Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, Guncrafter and so on and so on,
Old 12-08-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old558 View Post
Probably would have cost you more, say Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, Guncrafter and so on and so on,
Fair point. Just shot my first Wilson the other week and man... I want one. But with 1 kid and another on the way, maybe a graduation (from the kids colleges) gift to myself.

If we haven't moved on to plasma guns yet 😁
Old 12-08-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsJT View Post
The model I was looking at is the Colt O1070CCS which is a 70 series. I've heard that makes a big difference and that's part of the reason I chose these two.

Rhino79, it didn't take me too long to be enlightened about the customer service aspect which I didn't originally think about.
Fair enough.

In that case, get the DW, it's the better gun.

Mine is the lowly CBOB and I have to say, it's nicer than my 1966 Colt National Match, and that's when Colt built them real nice.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:56 PM

This year I bought a Dan Wesson A2 government, and a Colt 70 series govt. Both are great, the DW has a tighter fit and is slightly more accurate. Both 100% reliable.

Current Colts have good parts and excellent quality, and the Competition .45 has very good range reports. Buy the Colt, and start shooting now. Colts have good resale value.

I would prefer carbon steel blue to stainless, but that is a personal choice.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:18 AM

I want to repeat myself that the blued series 70 Colt Competition would be the way to go. Mine is a series 80 9mm. I had to send it back to Colt to fix an ejection issue. It was gone about 5 weeks IIRC, and it came back perfect. No ejection issues whatsoever, and very accurate.

The series 80 trigger is not bad as some would suggest. Mine consistently breaks within an ounce of 4 pounds every time I test it, and it breaks cleanly.

Get the Colt, you will never regret it.

Then get the Dan Wesson.

Then get the Les Baer.

Then get the Wilson/Nighthawk/Guncrafter.

Then get something made by Alchemy.

Then get professional medical help. You're addicted and you have a problem, like the rest of us here.
From here on, if I want something nice, Guncrafter will make it
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 12-09-2017, 06:49 AM

Not much thinking here, get the DW. The DW is the superior gun, period. Remember the old idiom: you get what you pay for. Colt CS as stated is spotty at best, it's also a company that threw the general populace consumer under the bus, not that many years ago. Personally, I wouldn't get any Colt, under any circumstances. Good luck with whatever you choose.