CDNN Hi-Power - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-22-2020, 05:21 AM

CDNN Hi-Power

I purchased this FN Hi-Power through CDNN a while back.

I've attached two photos. It shoots pretty well with mil-spec ammunition.

I'm a little concerned about the aluminum frame, and whether I should limit my range sessions to lighter ammo.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0484.JPG   DSC_0485.JPG  
Old 02-22-2020, 07:15 AM

That doesn't appear to be an aluminum frame. I bought two FN HI Powers just like it from CDNN several years ago when they were closing them out for about $400.00 each. Steel frames. I used all kinds of ammo in my Hi Powers with no issues whatsoever.

Have you touched a magnet to the frame to verify it is aluminum?

Your Hi Power appears to have Herretts grips and a Cylinder and Slide hammer.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi Power (1).jpg  

Last edited by Rock185; 02-22-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I'm a little concerned about the aluminum frame, and whether I should limit my range sessions to lighter ammo.
Nice High Power!

You do NOT have an aluminum alloy frame. I have a 511MY which I also got from CDNN. It is not an alloy. It is a cast steel frame rather than a forged steel frame as in earlier pistols.

Stephen Camp wrote
"It's been my observation that the cast frame Mk III is the better choice for shooters intending to use a steady diet of +P ammo. The cast frame is harder and tougher than the forged frame in the Hi Power. This has allowed the slides to be heat-treated to a higher level of toughness as well. Does this mean that one cannot use +P in his Mk II or classic? Certainly not, but I believe that wear will be more rapidly accelerated than in the cast frame pistol."

I believe you should not use higher than standard pressure on any High Power (no +P, +P+). A 124 grain standard pressure round works quite well for me and doesn't feel as snappy as a 115 grain round. I am no expert... but I see NO NEED for +P and +P+ in any gun. It just hurts... both me and the gun through excessive wear.

If you don't already have a copy of Mr Camp's "The Shooters Guide to the Browning High Power", you can get the newer revised edition here...

... I just bought my second alloy frame High Power because I liked the first one quite a bit. I have no qualms about shooting either as much as I can. I also have an alloy frame CZ P-01. All three make for excellent full size lighter weight carry guns for me.

Last edited by TNorris; 02-22-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2020, 08:12 AM

I really like those FN rollmark Hi Powers. I wish I had been paying attention when CDNN was liquidating them.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the quick responses! That's interesting about the frame--I had just assumed it was aluminum because it seems pretty light, at least compared to my 1911, and pretty close to the weight of the frame on my Sig P220.

And yes, soon after I got it a friend of mine pulled out the magazine disconnect and installed the Cylinder & Slide hammer. I did the grips.

I've been really happy with it, and it's definitely a good shooter. I don't have any plans for +P ammo, but it's good to know it should handle it just fine.

Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
T I don't have any plans for +P ammo, but it's good to know it should handle it just fine.
Thanks again!
Yep... it should handle +P just fine. I ask... why bother?
What are the benefits of +P?
Old 02-23-2020, 01:19 PM

Mil - Spec 9mm (9mm NATO) is equivalent to +P.

https://www.gunnuts.net/2009/04/03/9...-vs-9mm-luger/
Old 03-11-2020, 11:29 PM

Even if you do come across a aluminum frame, don't worry about it. A friend of mine have traded a 1955 38 Super LW Commander back and forth for the past 10 years, with no problems. We have done the same with a aluminum frame HP that was worked over by Don Williams at Action Works.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:22 AM

BH Spring Specialties has a recoil guide/buffer that works just fine in my light weight HP, although I will never shoot it to death I think the lessened forces work in the pistols favor. I will try one of the units in a standard HP (as soon as I get over cracked ribs) to see if there is a noticeable difference like with the LW.