How Tight Should My Gun Be In the Holster? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-21-2020, 06:41 AM

How Tight Should My Gun Be In the Holster?

Sorry for the newbie question, but how tight should a 1911 fit in a kydex OWB holster (I have a drop hanger Black Scorpion Pro Competition holster) for general range use? I don't compete.

https://www.blackscorpiongear.com/co...n-holster_1911

Tighten it to the point that it will take a good upside down shake to make the gun come out of the holster, then I am tugging to get the gun up and out when doing a draw. Tighten it too loose, and I would suspect if I did a slow jog, the gun could pop out.

My draw instructor gave me his answer but I'm curious to hear other opinions.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2020, 07:26 AM

It all depends on the level of movement and activity you'd expect with the gun holstered.

Considering it is a completion holster, less tension would be better than more.

A concealed carry holster would need to have more tension and a duty/open carry holster would typically need an active retention device.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:37 AM

Your instructor has it right. A general range use holster does not need the same level of retention that a 3Gun competition setup does, but needs to be secure. It's a balance between holster design retention and draw. You should be able to perform a quick dash without fear of drop. For static shooting general range use I think it is better to start with an easy draw and adjust up slowly. Get used to the draw by doing dry fire practice at home. The more draws the better before you go live.
Practice keeping that trigger finger along the frame until you have the full firing grip and complete the push out towards the target. Have fun, be safe!

NRA Life Member
RSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2020, 08:19 AM

The reason I'm asking is because at this very, very early stage in my learning how to safely and quickly draw my gun, it seems like I'm tugging too much. When I watch videos of really good shooters, it seems like their gun very easily slides out of the holster without the holster moving. When I draw, my holster moves a lot in my opinion (it could very well be that I'm too clueless at this point to know how much movement of the holster is normal).
Old 02-21-2020, 08:48 AM

What do you have for a belt?
Old 02-21-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
What do you have for a belt?
https://www.koreessentials.com/colle...tical-gun-belt
Old 02-21-2020, 10:35 AM

I'm a leather fan. There is no break-in for kydex, but there is for leather. Many folks try a quality leather holster, find it hard to draw from, and give up. You must take your time. I wear a new holster around the house all day for quite a while to let the pistol take a set. Many many draws at home with an empty gun. Then you are rewarded with the comfort and security of a good leather holster.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:59 AM

I'm with AZ Husker on leather
Old 02-21-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1127 View Post
I have no experience with that belt, but from the description it appears to be a plenty stiff belt.

Next question, is your belt threaded through your pants belt loops? I'm just trying to eliminate any other possible issues other than your holster.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I have no experience with that belt, but from the description it appears to be a plenty stiff belt.

Next question, is your belt threaded through your pants belt loops? I'm just trying to eliminate any other possible issues other than your holster.
It's a very stiff belt indeed and I do run it through the pant belt loops.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:09 PM

Like in life there is a balance to be struck in all things. If you're doing "aggressive" range work...running, moving, going prone and getting back up...the holster needs to be tight enough to keep the gun in the holster while you're doing these things. But too tight, however, and you may be yanking the holster up with the gun when you draw. So it is very much trying to strike the right balance. You can find the sweet spot initially with an unloaded weapon. That way if it drops out, no problem.

There is, however, another solution to this. It's called a retention holster. And I don't mean the normal friction retention level that all holsters have. A Level 2 Safariland ALS holster will solve your problem. The ALS device will keep your gun in the holster through aggressive movements but will afford an easy smooth release when you depress the button and draw the weapon.

And if you end up getting an ALS holster, the OTD Nub Mod is $25 well spent.

Last edited by L84CABO; 02-21-2020 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Like in life there is a balance to be struck in all things. If you're doing "aggressive" range work...running, moving, going prone and getting back up...the holster needs to be tight enough to keep the gun in the holster while you're doing these things. But too tight, however, and you may be yanking the holster up with the gun when you draw. So it is very much trying to strike the right balance. You can find the sweet spot initially with an unloaded weapon. That way if it drops out, no problem.

There is, however, another solution to this. It's called a retention holster. And I don't mean the normal friction retention level that all holsters have. A Level 2 Safariland ALS holster will solve your problem. The ALS device will keep your gun in the holster through aggressive movements but will afford an easy smooth release when you depress the button and draw the weapon.

And if you end up getting an ALS holster, the OTD Nub Mod is $25 well spent.
OTD Nub Mod?
Old 02-22-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:

It's a very stiff belt indeed and I do run it through the pant belt loops.
Assuming your tension is properly adjust, make sure you’re drawing ‘in line’.

If you let your elbow fly out, you’ll twist the gun in the holster, which dramatically increases tension.

Start slow, lots of reps. Dry fire in front of a mirror. I know I don’t have to mention with a triple checked empty gun.:-)
Old 02-24-2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
OTD Nub Mod?
Google "OTD Nub Mod" and all will be revealed!
Old 02-24-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Google "OTD Nub Mod" and all will be revealed!
This?
https://store.otdefense.com/products/als-nub-mod-black
Old 02-25-2020, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Yup.