So how is the gun business around you these days? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-20-2020, 11:26 AM

So how is the gun business around you these days?

It seems like it was not that long ago when a lot of people were talking about the so called Trump slump, in reference to poor firearms sales. Well maybe it is just a Virginia thing in response to recent events.

But I purchased a Barrett REC 7 today from Eurooptics. And then I called my local stop and shop to give them a heads up on delivery. Well Sherri told me that she was swamped. Normally on a given day you might have to wait for one or two people ahead of you for the State police call in. She told me today to not even come down until she called me as she was 24 hours behind on checks.

What are you seeing in your area?
Old 02-20-2020, 11:31 AM

Bit more difficult to tell from my computer and doing most of my purchases via the internet. My LGS simply doesn't carry the guns I'm interested in at this point.

But any time I'm in my local LGS they don't have the lines they did three years ago.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:57 AM

My LGS does not carry what I like either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
Bit more difficult to tell from my computer and doing most of my purchases via the internet. My LGS simply doesn't carry the guns I'm interested in at this point.

But any time I'm in my local LGS they don't have the lines they did three years ago.
But I still have to go there to pick up what I buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
But I still have to go there to pick up what I buy.
Ah, and so do I. However the one I go to pickup my internet purchases is even smaller than the one I used to purchase from. I'm in and out so quickly I'm not really sure how well they do except they are still open. It does appear a good deal of FFL only stuff goes through that shop.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:56 PM

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...11-bankruptcy/

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/stre.../16/id/843750/

https://www.investopedia.com/article...t-business.asp

Read 'em & weep.

Guy Noir, private eye.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:05 PM

Been very busy as of late. Long lines. Full range. Customers bitching that they can’t get help. Tons of guns. The last month especially. Full classes.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:18 PM

Don't rightly know since I do most of my gun window shopping online these days. When I want to be around gun people and see some newer guns in the wild, I go to matches. The gun counter scene has nothing for me.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:12 PM

We're nice and steady. We cater to folks who want some higher end shotguns from Guerini, Zoli, Rizzini, the B guns. That market stays pretty steady and is actually heating up a bit since sporting clays places will be opening up in another month. Shotgun guys ALWAYS find an excuse for a new shotgun.

Handguns and rifles are steady as well but those are much more cyclical and subject to the winds of the economy.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:19 PM

Those are old news articles.

Jerry's, Remington and Colt are all still in business of selling and or making guns. Ellett Brothers went bankrupt due to internal fraud, not anything to do with the strength or weakness of the firearms market.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:19 PM

We have had record breaking sales types of weekends as of late. Some of this could be driven because NFL is over, Shot show just got done so new products are coming in, concerns regarding VA, Democratic nomination process stimulating fears, and tax season. I frankly think that we will see a steady diet of shoppers for at least the next few months and then it could tank for a bit.

I think a better question is what I see people buying? Rentals at our range and ammo for these guns are really strong right now. 365s, Shields and Hellcats people are buying. There has been increased demand for anything in 10mm though that’s not paying the bills. G44 is selling. EZ 380 and 9 are moving. The $500 and less market is steady for sure.

Where I work any gun purchase gets a buyer $50 in range use. That means a lot to someone buying a $350 gun. But for the guy with a $3500 purchase they could care less.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:24 PM

Local LGS has a young guy with no education as the GM. The owner is a driver. Doesn’t let the GM make many decisions. One thing I have noticed is that let’s say on a busy day, all 30 gun bays are busy, people want to rent guns and buy ammo, look at guns and buy guns. If there are four people working the counter. All it gets is two people who have to stand by an open gun cabinet, and two people running background checks and BAM....everything stops. No one can come on or off the range, buy ammo, etc..

They really need to consider setting up a “finance” desk where all gun purchases are processed. Have one dedicated person manning that position. It gets nuts ass busy every weekend.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:17 PM

In my area of Arizona, all the big box stores and smaller gun shops are doing fine....people are always "bellying up to the counter".....so business is good.
Philippians 4:13
Old 02-20-2020, 05:57 PM

The two dealers I support are very busy. One is busy all day long. The other, if I get in early enough, is usually okay. There hasn't been any slowing down since Trump has been in office. When Ob was in office, people were buying because they were scared of his anti-gun stance. When Trump won, I guess the great economy has people happy and they are still buying.

Thinking about it, shoppers at both stores DO seem happy. Hope they are still happy in at the end of 2020.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:19 PM

No idea. The odds that any LGS near me would have any of the guns I’m looking to buy are so remote that it’s not worth my time to look, and I do all of my transfers with an appointment-only FFL. I order anything else I need online.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
Local LGS has a young guy with no education as the GM. The owner is a driver. Doesn’t let the GM make many decisions. One thing I have noticed is that let’s say on a busy day, all 30 gun bays are busy, people want to rent guns and buy ammo, look at guns and buy guns. If there are four people working the counter. All it gets is two people who have to stand by an open gun cabinet, and two people running background checks and BAM....everything stops. No one can come on or off the range, buy ammo, etc..

They really need to consider setting up a “finance” desk where all gun purchases are processed. Have one dedicated person manning that position. It gets nuts ass busy every weekend.
Reason #7,326 why I won't work weekends.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:46 PM

Sales dropped off dramatically once Our Dear Leader departed the Oval Office. Powder, primers, and .22cal ammo reappeared as the hoarding stopped.

Gun sales have slowly increased since then, probably fueled by the anti-gun legislation and mass-shootings.

I went and picked up 10k primers and 8lbs of powder last week. The dealer said if a Dem was Prez, I would not be able to find either one.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 02-20-2020, 07:21 PM

USMM guy, tell us how you like your Barrett. Is it a piston gun or a gas gun? What's the weight? What barrel length? Tell us about the details. Have you shot it yet? Did you shoot it off a bench, or off-hand, or both? I remember you mentioning that you were interested in one a couple of weeks ago. Why the Barrett and not a LWRC, or a POF, or a DD? Thanks...
Old 02-20-2020, 07:31 PM

Support your local small Gun Shops, or they will be a thing of the past.
My local small Gun Shops that I frequent will order anything that I want if they don’t have it in stock, or don’t carry that manufacturer.
I will go to the Beef jerky and nick nack shows to fondle anything that I am interested in, but try to buy from the small shops.

Last edited by Steam Boat; 02-20-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:06 PM

The gently used market in higher end pistols is very low, really a buyer's market. I can't figure out why people would stand in lines to pay full retail!
Old 02-20-2020, 08:40 PM
Administrator

When I-1639 passed here in WA the local gun shops almost became like ghost towns. In recent months however it has picked up noticeably and looks a lot closer to normal. I guess people have gotten used to the new delays and restrictions on buying handguns and semi-autos and are just "biting the bullet", so to speak. Now that we've dodged yet another one on assault weapons and large magazines I suspect those will sell briskly throughout the year before the gun haters come back and try it again next year.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:45 PM

I was going to get one yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
USMM guy, tell us how you like your Barrett. Is it a piston gun or a gas gun? What's the weight? What barrel length? Tell us about the details. Have you shot it yet? Did you shoot it off a bench, or off-hand, or both? I remember you mentioning that you were interested in one a couple of weeks ago. Why the Barrett and not a LWRC, or a POF, or a DD? Thanks...
According to their web site. A place down in Roanoke had them in stock. Anyway that turned out to be a wash. So I ordered one from Eurooptics today. A DI model 16" 5.56 NATO Burn't Bronze finish. I figured that "Burn't Bronze" was the way to go. Being pre Burn't, then I do not have to worry about burning the barrel up. It shipped today and may be at my local dealer either tomorrow or Monday. That was how I discovered that my local dealer was so backed up. I called them to give them a heads up that it was coming in for me. And Sherri said they were swamped.

Anyway should have it any day now. Why did I go with a REC 7. Having shot some of their bolt guns, I have been impressed. Besides they look cool and you can get them pre Burn't. Checking out optics now.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:48 PM

Its up and down on the Eastern Shore during hunting season, the Ruger 350 Legend was hot seller this year for deer hunting but 2019 was a slow year for LGS. Handgu market slower than past years and so is the AR market.

What I have noticed nation wide is the collectable shotgun & rifle market in the toilet, so much supply with baby boomers retiring and leaning the herd. The collectable handgun market seems healthier specially older Colts & S & W's while the military market still strong has it has been for 1911's and WWII rifles.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:51 PM

Been busy here in NJ too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2020, 10:05 PM

Accessory sales, ie. sight pushers, were almost non existent during the last half of 2019. Just in the past couple of weeks things have really picked up.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:09 PM

Recent used gun pickups on 'private sales' deals, including three 1911s, have me 'current' thru June 2020 for the gun-a-month club, !

Last edited by pogo123; 02-20-2020 at 11:12 PM.