10 round magazines good to go? Checkmate with hybrid feed lips? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-2020, 12:29 AM
peacebutready peacebutready is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,240
10 round magazines good to go? Checkmate with hybrid feed lips?

I haven't read about 10 round magazines in the past few years or so. Have feelings changed about the 10 rounders in the past few years?

Are the latest 10 round mags by good outfits like Chip McCormick and Checkmate good to go?

Anyone have any experience with Checkmate 10 round mags with hybrid feed lips?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-23-2020, 01:25 AM
LawHog LawHog is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 145
Can only speak about the Chip McCormick, but they have run 100% in all of my 1911s (excluding the Defender, obviously, since it doesn't fit). A think a reliable 10 rounder in .45 with one in the pipe is a fairly good option for home defense.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2020, 04:36 AM
Moad Moad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Edge of Glory
Posts: 821
I have both CMC (RPM) and Wilson Combat (railed) 10 round magazines and neither have issues in Gov/Comm guns.

Have not invested in CheckMate 10 rounders to date so no comment there.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 02-23-2020, 10:14 AM
RickB's Avatar
RickB RickB is online now
1911 Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Not Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 21,651
I have one 10rd, Check-Mate hybrid, and while it appears to be of high quality, and rounds hand-cycle smoothly, I have not used it at the range.

I love the smooth feeding of hybrids, but I've had some issues with them, when I never had any with the McCormick 8s and 10s I used for fifteen years.
Of course, there's no lack of complaints here about McCormick mags, so your mileage may vary.
__________________
If you're not shooting you should be moving. If you're not moving you should be reloading. If you're not shooting, moving, or reloading, you should be taping or picking brass. - Z.C.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-2020, 01:43 PM
Steam Boat Steam Boat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawHog View Post
Can only speak about the Chip McCormick, but they have run 100% in all of my 1911s (excluding the Defender, obviously, since it doesn't fit). A think a reliable 10 rounder in .45 with one in the pipe is a fairly good option for home defense.
They will fit and lock in properly in a Defender, you just ave a bare magazine gap between the bottom of the grip and the top of the magazine extension pad.
It is just an aesthetic issue.
__________________
Opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one, but they stink more than mine.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-2020, 01:46 PM
jtq jtq is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NW Florida
Age: 61
Posts: 11,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Boat View Post
They will fit and lock in properly in a Defender, you just ave a bare magazine gap between the bottom of the grip and the top of the magazine extension pad.
It is just an aesthetic issue.
Also a potential over insertion issue. That's why the giant pad is on the 10 rounders to keep them from being over inserted in a full size gun. They are not there for looks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-2020, 02:58 PM
peacebutready peacebutready is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawHog View Post
Can only speak about the Chip McCormick, but they have run 100% in all of my 1911s (excluding the Defender, obviously, since it doesn't fit). A think a reliable 10 rounder in .45 with one in the pipe is a fairly good option for home defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Boat View Post
They will fit and lock in properly in a Defender, you just ave a bare magazine gap between the bottom of the grip and the top of the magazine extension pad.
It is just an aesthetic issue.
Now that's a way to test the reliability of a 3" 1911. Better yet, have one in the chamber and the 10 round mag topped off in the pistol.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2020, 03:02 PM
peacebutready peacebutready is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I have one 10rd, Check-Mate hybrid, and while it appears to be of high quality, and rounds hand-cycle smoothly, I have not used it at the range.

I love the smooth feeding of hybrids, but I've had some issues with them, when I never had any with the McCormick 8s and 10s I used for fifteen years.
Of course, there's no lack of complaints here about McCormick mags, so your mileage may vary.

Hybrids are closest to what the original mags were designed as a long time ago, that's why they feed smoother.

What 1911 were the hybrids in when they caused issues? My guess is a cheaper one or a tightly fit one made by a manufacturer that likes parallel feed lip mags.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-2020, 03:05 PM
jtq jtq is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NW Florida
Age: 61
Posts: 11,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebutready View Post
Hybrids are closest to what the original mags were designed as a long time ago, that's why they feed smoother.

What 1911 were the hybrids in when they caused issues? My guess is a cheaper one or a tightly fit one made by a manufacturer that likes parallel feed lip mags.
Hybrid feed lipped magazines are outliers. Nearly every magazine maker uses wadcutter feed lipped magazines.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-23-2020, 03:46 PM
motorsporting motorsporting is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,445
I have some from CMC, Wilson, and Tripp. ALL have been flawless!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved