10 round magazines good to go? Checkmate with hybrid feed lips? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-23-2020, 12:29 AM

10 round magazines good to go? Checkmate with hybrid feed lips?

I haven't read about 10 round magazines in the past few years or so. Have feelings changed about the 10 rounders in the past few years?

Are the latest 10 round mags by good outfits like Chip McCormick and Checkmate good to go?

Anyone have any experience with Checkmate 10 round mags with hybrid feed lips?
Old 02-23-2020, 01:25 AM

Can only speak about the Chip McCormick, but they have run 100% in all of my 1911s (excluding the Defender, obviously, since it doesn't fit). A think a reliable 10 rounder in .45 with one in the pipe is a fairly good option for home defense.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:36 AM

I have both CMC (RPM) and Wilson Combat (railed) 10 round magazines and neither have issues in Gov/Comm guns.

Have not invested in CheckMate 10 rounders to date so no comment there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2020, 10:14 AM
1911 Aficionado

I have one 10rd, Check-Mate hybrid, and while it appears to be of high quality, and rounds hand-cycle smoothly, I have not used it at the range.

I love the smooth feeding of hybrids, but I've had some issues with them, when I never had any with the McCormick 8s and 10s I used for fifteen years.
Of course, there's no lack of complaints here about McCormick mags, so your mileage may vary.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawHog View Post
Can only speak about the Chip McCormick, but they have run 100% in all of my 1911s (excluding the Defender, obviously, since it doesn't fit). A think a reliable 10 rounder in .45 with one in the pipe is a fairly good option for home defense.
They will fit and lock in properly in a Defender, you just ave a bare magazine gap between the bottom of the grip and the top of the magazine extension pad.
It is just an aesthetic issue.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Boat View Post
They will fit and lock in properly in a Defender, you just ave a bare magazine gap between the bottom of the grip and the top of the magazine extension pad.
Also a potential over insertion issue. That's why the giant pad is on the 10 rounders to keep them from being over inserted in a full size gun. They are not there for looks.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawHog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Boat View Post
Now that's a way to test the reliability of a 3" 1911. Better yet, have one in the chamber and the 10 round mag topped off in the pistol.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I have one 10rd, Check-Mate hybrid, and while it appears to be of high quality, and rounds hand-cycle smoothly, I have not used it at the range.

I love the smooth feeding of hybrids, but I've had some issues with them, when I never had any with the McCormick 8s and 10s I used for fifteen years.
Of course, there's no lack of complaints here about McCormick mags, so your mileage may vary.

Hybrids are closest to what the original mags were designed as a long time ago, that's why they feed smoother.

What 1911 were the hybrids in when they caused issues? My guess is a cheaper one or a tightly fit one made by a manufacturer that likes parallel feed lip mags.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebutready View Post
Hybrids are closest to what the original mags were designed as a long time ago, that's why they feed smoother.

What 1911 were the hybrids in when they caused issues? My guess is a cheaper one or a tightly fit one made by a manufacturer that likes parallel feed lip mags.
Hybrid feed lipped magazines are outliers. Nearly every magazine maker uses wadcutter feed lipped magazines.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:46 PM

I have some from CMC, Wilson, and Tripp. ALL have been flawless!