1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-22-2020, 11:34 AM

Sell the gun.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:49 AM

OK,, I might add something. I took a lot of time, and was quite careful to check/re-check to get the figures,, but it is a mixed blessing.
Whilst I have a very good appreciation for the close tolerances, (I too have a level of OCD,) I still understand what a 1911 was designed to do.
Now this is totally hypothetical, (for me anyway,) but, if I had to jump out of the landing craft, wade thru salt water, and then crawl up the beach thru the sand and engage the enemy,, I would want one of my Colts,, that many would call a "rattletrap".
However, once I get ~1,000 rds. thru the DW that opinion might change,, so, for now I'll keep it clean and well oiled, and enjoy it,,.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradd D View Post
Sell the gun.

That is an option I’m considering. First I’m going to contact DW and see what their thoughts are because I don’t believe it’s within their quality standards
Old 02-22-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafluff View Post
That is an option Iím considering. First Iím going to contact DW and see what their thoughts are because I donít believe itís within their quality standards
Didn't you already contact them?
Old 02-22-2020, 12:20 PM

Didn't you already contact them?[/QUOTE]

Yes I did but without the knowledge given to me by the numbers of other DW guns. Being from ny myself I might take my gun and go see them personally
Old 02-22-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Didn't you already contact them]

Yes I did but without the knowledge given to me by the numbers of other DW guns. Being from ny myself I might take my gun and go see them personally
Now you're cooking! I like your last 2 posts the best. If I was as unhappy as you seem to be about the gun, that is what I would do, call DW or go visit them.

By the way, I did understand your very first post for what you were looking for. However, I have never owned or shot a DW. If I did, I don't think that I could measure the O.D. of the barrel.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I can tell you how it's going to go. I sent a Valkyrie back for a couple of things one of which was what I considered excessive play in the slide to frame fit. It wasn't addressed as there is technically nothing wrong with it. I wasn't happy with it so I sold the gun. I don't blame Dan Wesson, though. It's just one of the variables of buying a production gun. We could nickel and dime them to death if we looked hard enough. I've also noticed it's only been an issue on aluminum framed guns for me. Out of two aluminum framed Dan Wessons, two had more play than I like.

Have you shot the gun?
Old 02-22-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradd D View Post
...Have you shot the gun?
OP reports he's put hundreds of accurate, reliable rounds through it -- no issues except with steel cased ammo.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:17 PM

OCDers..... How do y'all even sleep at night with the triflin stuff you guys worry about????

This is akin to buying a car that is supposed to put 300 HP down to the rear wheels, running a Dyno, finding out it puts down 300 HP to the rear wheels, then tearing down the engine and complaining about piston to cylinder clearance.

Do whatever you gotta do. Arrange your keys just so on the dresser, fold your skivies and t shirts just so....check that you turned off the stove 3 or 4 times....but good Lord man.......Put the calipers down and shoot the damn thing.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
OCDers..... How do y'all even sleep at night with the triflin stuff you guys worry about????

This is akin to buying a car that is supposed to put 300 HP down to the rear wheels, running a Dyno, finding out it puts down 300 HP to the rear wheels, then tearing down the engine and complaining about piston to cylinder clearance.

Do whatever you gotta do. Arrange your keys just so on the dresser, fold your skivies and t shirts just so....check that you turned off the stove 3 or 4 times....but good Lord man.......Put the calipers down and shoot the damn thing.

Well I gotta say if nothing else comes of this it certainly is entertaining. Name calling and Calipers. Thank you for your comment it’s welcome and appreciated
Old 02-22-2020, 06:33 PM

I can tell you how it's going to go. I sent a Valkyrie back for a couple of things one of which was what I considered excessive play in the slide to frame fit. It wasn't addressed as there is technically nothing wrong with it. I wasn't happy with it so I sold the gun. I don't blame Dan Wesson, though. It's just one of the variables of buying a production gun. We could nickel and dime them to death if we looked hard enough. I've also noticed it's only been an issue on aluminum framed guns for me. Out of two aluminum framed Dan Wessons, two had more play than I like.

Have you shot the gun?[/QUOTE]

This is interesting because I’m starting to get some of the same feedback from other sources about aluminum framed guns
Yes I’ve shot the gun. It’s not bad but that’s not what my post was asking. I really appreciate the insight on your experience with aluminum framed Dan Wesson’s. What else I find interesting is that 2 had more play than you like. I’m beginning to wonder if they build more clearance into the aluminum framed guns. It might be because of the potential of galling. Aluminum galls very easy and more clearance is more room for lubricant and less chance of galling. Maybe some other Valkyrie owners will chime in
Old 02-22-2020, 06:44 PM

Have you shot the gun?[/QUOTE]

This is interesting. I’m starting to get some of the same feedback from other sources regarding aluminum framed guns. What’s really interesting is you had 2 and we’re not happy with either. I’m beginning to wonder if this additional clearance is because of the aluminum. Aluminum galls very easy and the additional clearance would allow for more lube and less risk of galling. Maybe some other Valkyrie owners will chime in
Old 02-22-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Yes I did but without the knowledge given to me by the numbers of other DW guns. Being from ny myself I might take my gun and go see them personally[/QUOTE]

Hmnnnnnn. Interesting choice of wording.

They may feel better if you just called.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:39 PM

Tight fitting stainless on stainless will gall if there is not enough lubricant. I think there is just a tad more clearance with an aluminum frame because of the difference in expansion rate of aluminum versus stainless. The slide to frame dimension has the least to do with accuracy, lock-up and bushing clearance are way more important. Colt's can rattle but those are the specs that JMB figured for the 1911 to operate reliably with decent accuracy . I would wager your DW is well within those specs and will more than function for tens of thousands of rounds accurately. Ask Keith if your measurements are within DW's specs, if they are it's a judgment call to sell. If you hold the fitting of slide/frame to a much higher than industry standard for a 1911 then you should buy a high end semi-custom or full custom.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post
Quote:

[/QUOTE]

Lmao that was a poor choice of words. It never hit me until you pointed it out
Old 02-22-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Well I gotta say if nothing else comes of this it certainly is entertaining. Name calling and Calipers. Thank you for your comment itís welcome and appreciated
Name calling???

What are you talking about?
Old 02-22-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWboy View Post
Tight fitting stainless on stainless will gall if there is not enough lubricant. I think there is just a tad more clearance with an aluminum frame because of the difference in expansion rate of aluminum versus stainless. The slide to frame dimension has the least to do with accuracy, lock-up and bushing clearance are way more important. Colt's can rattle but those are the specs that JMB figured for the 1911 to operate reliably with decent accuracy . I would wager your DW is well within those specs and will more than function for tens of thousands of rounds accurately. Ask Keith if your measurements are within DW's specs, if they are it's a judgment call to sell. If you hold the fitting of slide/frame to a much higher than industry standard for a 1911 then you should buy a high end semi-custom or full custom.

I agree 100% and again I ask all to read my original post. I posted the numbers I got simply for comparison nothing more nothing less. Simply put is my gun an example or one that slipped through QC because it happens.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Lmao that was a poor choice of words. It never hit me until you pointed it out[/QUOTE]

Old 02-23-2020, 07:31 AM

Its possible that you might find:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=255555

and

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=321236

Of interest.

I actually thought there was a 3rd but can’t find it right now.

Sorry, I’m fresh out of DW’s to measure for you or I would...
Old 02-23-2020, 07:40 AM

That was my Kobra he tested and there was more movement ythe slide frame fir than the DWs.

Bob
Old 02-23-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post

Well said! Lovin' it!!!!
Old 02-23-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM7-10 View Post
Its possible that you might find:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=255555

and

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=321236

Of interest.

I actually thought there was a 3rd but can’t find it right now.

Sorry, I’m fresh out of DW’s to measure for you or I would...

Thank you thank you thank you. I actually read both of those start to finish in the past. It’s some of the reading that influenced my decision to purchase a Dan Wesson. I take particular notice to how the slide to frame fit is exceptional. Now my gun is not a valor but I was told personally by the folks at Dan Wesson that all their guns are fit the same with no exceptions. Imagine my surprise when I received my brand new gun and the first thing I notice is the unusual amount of play between the slide and frame.
Thank you for providing the information that I was seeking. It’s intelligent and courteous people like you that I graciously learn from
Old 02-23-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbert0005 View Post
That was my Kobra he tested and there was more movement ythe slide frame fir than the DWs.

Bob

Thank you also sir for confirmation that I don’t think my gun is as it should be. I appreciate you all that have taken the time to actually help answer my questions
Old 02-23-2020, 12:29 PM

I haven't made measurements on of the parts of my guns. When I buy them, I disassemble, clean, check for imperfections, reassemble. The only measurement I make is trigger pull. This is followed by going to the range to enjoy my purchase. A similar pattern is followed with my automobiles.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Thank you also sir for confirmation that I donít think my gun is as it should be. I appreciate you all that have taken the time to actually help answer my questions
Your "question" hasn't really been answered because you were never really asking one. You decided from the get-go that -- while admitting you know nothing about 1911 specs -- you got a "lemon" because you think the slide has more play than you presume it should, and the only replies you're acknowledging are the ones that weakly might support the conclusion you began with.

It's noteworthy that in the two threads you have running on this issue you've received overwhelming responses -- including from the manufacturer, master-level 1911 gunsmiths, and several highly knowledgeable members, as well as your own shooting experience with the firearm -- that all is well with your pistol.

But you insist it isn't.

A more honest approach here is to simply acknowledge that although the pistol's fine by all reasonable measures -- literal and otherwise -- you prefer an exceptionally tight fit for its own sake and should go in search of it...

...rather than ginning up "poor quality" claims for which there's no merit.