1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-20-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Boat View Post
Support your local small Gun Shops, or they will be a thing of the past.
My local small Gun Shops that I frequent will order anything that I want if they don’t have it in stock, or don’t carry that manufacturer.
I will go to the Beef jerky and nick nack shows to fondle anything that I am interested in, but try to buy from the small shops.
I actually gave that a go. But besides being more inconvenient than me just going ahead and doing it myself the times I gave it a try they couldn't seem to get what I wanted.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:47 PM

I really dont have an answer for you on this. I only know that as far as me and my family goes we are always interested in buying something new or we taken care of used.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
Local LGS has a young guy with no education as the GM. The owner is a driver. Doesn’t let the GM make many decisions. One thing I have noticed is that let’s say on a busy day, all 30 gun bays are busy, people want to rent guns and buy ammo, look at guns and buy guns. If there are four people working the counter. All it gets is two people who have to stand by an open gun cabinet, and two people running background checks and BAM....everything stops. No one can come on or off the range, buy ammo, etc..

They really need to consider setting up a “finance” desk where all gun purchases are processed. Have one dedicated person manning that position. It gets nuts ass busy every weekend.
Reason #7,326 why I won't work weekends.
Reason #1 why I'm happy to work weekends (and 12-hour shifts). I dont have to wait in line with every other swinging-dick in Dallas for range time.
Only downside...I'm never available for competition matches as I've never seen one scheduled during a weekday.

But no matter...3-on-4-off is the cat's ass, man!!
Old 02-21-2020, 06:07 AM

The shop I'm at has been steady. Tax time is coming, so we will see a spike in sales shortly. We have been seeing a little uptick already. Its busier than two years ago, and with the Walmart down the road not selling a lot of ammo anymore, ammo sales are up. Thank you Walmart. Lol
Old 02-21-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Boat View Post
Support your local small Gun Shops, or they will be a thing of the past.
My local small Gun Shops that I frequent will order anything that I want if they don’t have it in stock, or don’t carry that manufacturer.
I will go to the Beef jerky and nick nack shows to fondle anything that I am interested in, but try to buy from the small shops.
I agree, support your local shop or loose it!
It helps that our local shop almost always beats out of town competition. They will order for us too.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:32 PM

I was chatting with the guy at one of the local LGS/indoor range about business as I picked up a gun I had ordered.

He said they've been really busy so far this year, both with the range users and actual gun purchases (not their main income according to him).

Not only have people been buying more guns, according to him, they have been buying more expensive guns. He said $1000+ guns have been flying off the shelves at a rate they weren't used to.

Naturally it was too bad I had just dropped my whole new gun budget on a Wilson, because they had a used Sig Legion 229 and RAMI I was really eying.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:37 AM

I have great relationships with 2 LGS's. I always go out of my way to buy from them first, but just as others have mentioned, they rarely have what I'm looking for. Sure, you can get a Glock or a low level 1911 but that's not what I buy. Half the time they don't even stock basic weapon lights or accessories. I always get the "We don't have it but can order it for you". Yeah, I can order it myself.

Generally speaking, I think they cater to the rookie crowds looking for budget friendly guns.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:41 AM

A friend owns the LGS. He’s had a terrible several months starting last spring. He’s making a few more sales lately as people get tax refund money. His typical customer doesn’t want to spend more than about $3-400, and is looking for a small handgun. He does manage to sell a few entry level 1911’s. Hunting rifles and shotgun sales are all but nonexistent nowadays. If he stocked high end 1911’s or even something like Kimbers or DW they’d be covered with a half inch of dust.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epj View Post
A friend owns the LGS. He’s had a terrible several months starting last spring. He’s making a few more sales lately as people get tax refund money. His typical customer doesn’t want to spend more than about $3-400, and is looking for a small handgun. He does manage to sell a few entry level 1911’s. Hunting rifles and shotgun sales are all but nonexistent nowadays. If he stocked high end 1911’s or even something like Kimbers or DW they’d be covered with a half inch of dust.
It takes deep pockets to be successful in the LGS business these days. You'll go broke selling Glocks and Ruger LCP's for $25 over cost. The money is in higher end guns and accessories. Our shop probably carries close to $2M in inventory. We don't sell Glocks or Ruger as you can buy those anywhere. We carry stuff that other stores around us DON'T carry. And then we also stock more powder and reloading supplies than probably anyone else in the state of Ohio. Most LGS owners haven't figured out that guys who buy guns also buy powder.....and guys who buy powder also buy guns. A simple recipie but damn few have figured it out.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Most LGS owners haven't figured out that guys who buy guns also buy powder.....and guys who buy powder also buy guns. A simple recipie but damn few have figured it out.
Most LGS owners here seem to think that all they need to carry are high-cap 9mms and ARs, plus ammo and carry holsters and AR parts. Nothing for reloaders, Old West enthusiasts, hunters, or weekend .22 plinkers. Here in WA, ever since I-1639 passed and semi-auto rifles became more of a PITA to buy some of these shops have actually diversified a little and now carry more lever-actions and kid's .22 rifles. But it's just a drop in the bucket, and they still try to carry nothing but tactical guns and gear because that's probably all the shop owners and their employees are interested in.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Most LGS owners haven't figured out that guys who buy guns also buy powder.....and guys who buy powder also buy guns. A simple recipie but damn few have figured it out.
Around here they have the firm belief that if they stocked powder and primers, they'd neuter their sales of overpriced ammunition.

They don't seem to understand that the people who buy powder and primers aren't buying much of their ammunition to start with.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX302 View Post
Around here they have the firm belief that if they stocked powder and primers, they'd neuter their sales of overpriced ammunition.

They don't seem to understand that the people who buy powder and primers aren't buying much of their ammunition to start with.
Well, when the LGS start stocking bullets
in 250-1000 lots, primers by the sleeve, or powder in [email protected] jugs, then maybe I'll patronize them a little more.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:32 PM
Banned

I’d say they are relatively busy. People buying the cheapest foreign guns they can buy.
Like another poster said, most stores don’t carry the type of firearms I’m after. I still go and look though.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:49 AM

I went to a local gun show last weekend it was crowded. I must agree with "Strayshot" what I saw was people buying the lower priced firearms. Some going for higher priced items. They are looking for self defense weapons. Talking with a few of them they feel it's going to get stupid out there and they want to protect themselves. What scares me is a good portion of them have no idea what they are buying. The vendors were selling them guns that clearly were beyond their needs. I understand the vendor wants to make money. Maybe I'm wrong but my feeling is sell them something they can handle. A little old lady was purchasing a hand gun she was buying a 44 mag. my feeling was too much gun for her but maybe not I didn't know her expertise. But from what I saw sales were brisk.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
So how is the gun business around you these days?
It completely tanked in my area, precisely at the same time that I experienced a significant reduction of spendable cash. But, unlike my income, it only took my local LGS’s 72 hours to recover.

On a side note: Looking forward to hearing more about that Rec7.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:51 PM

A local gun shop that had been in our area for more than 15 years closed its doors. I talked to the owner right before it happened, he said he could not compete with internets sales prices, sad day.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:00 PM

Hopefully it will be here tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
It completely tanked in my area, precisely at the same time that I experienced a significant reduction of spendable cash. But, unlike my income, it only took my local LGS’s 72 hours to recover.

Currently it is parked at the UPS warehouse down in Roanoke. Hopefully Sherri is caught up on her paperwork. They have to put it on their books before they can release it to me.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:39 PM

A little slow around here, not like last fall with the AR run.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:43 AM

A friend and I are doing a couple more AR builds (assemblies). What I have noticed over the last several months is that Midway, Brownells and Cheaper than Dirt are beginning to have a bunch of stuff “out of stock”. Not as bad as the Obozo era where you couldn’t even find a cardboard lower, but an interesting indicator.......maybe.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:07 AM

I dropped by a local Shoot Point Blank gun shop yesterday - packed with customers, their modern 20 bay range had over an hour wait.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-25-2020, 08:50 AM

Here in SC the local gun stores have been busy. I try to buy local unless the price difference is really too much. Example: Saint AR Pistol $900 at local gun store $750 + $8.00 shipping from Grab A Gun. However I did buy a Kimber Aegeis 1911 9mm since the price was close. The range is almost always busy and the gun show was so crowded you could barely move this month.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:13 AM

The fireamrs business appears to be alive and well in Texas - but a bit spotty here in El Paso. Reloading supplies are scarce locally, and the shops are slow to stock the latest new "wonder guns"; but the local gun shows, although lackluster, are always crowded. After all, ain't this TEXAS?
Well, yes, I have a few guns...
Old 02-25-2020, 10:27 AM

The big box stores like Academy, Cabelas and Bass Pro still have their counters packed with people and long wait times for service. The LGSs still seem to do OK too. But I think there is not much of a impetus for people to go buying as Congress won't do anything for the foreseeable future to make people worry. I don't see Bernie getting elected nor any of the other candidates for that matter. But we could be totally surprised though.

I think that the census will be the telling story. Many people have fled the communist states for more freedom and lower costs of living. The state representative counts are going to change more than they thing it will.

Last edited by earlwb; 02-25-2020 at 10:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-25-2020, 02:01 PM

Funny how that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post

Got my REC 7 out of jail yesterday. They are still slamming and banging down at the LGS, even on a Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0053.jpg  
Old 02-26-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambidextrous1 View Post
The fireamrs business appears to be alive and well in Texas - but a bit spotty here in El Paso. Reloading supplies are scarce locally, and the shops are slow to stock the latest new "wonder guns"; but the local gun shows, although lackluster, are always crowded. After all, ain't this TEXAS?
El Paso turning more and more communist ain’t helping brother!