New 2020 Colt Python discussion thread - Page 8 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-21-2020, 08:14 PM

Great video. Hope that satisfies all issues.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:46 PM

It won't satisfy the die hard Colt haters though.

The next whine fest will probably be something along the lines of how long it took them to respond. No regard will be given to Shotshow, guns shipped back, or time it took to evaluate said guns.

I am satisfied with the response, and know to make sure everything on my gun is buttoned up tight
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 02-22-2020, 12:27 AM

For those who will continue to bash Colt, just ask them to name one other firearms manufacturer that has responded more quickly or transparently to field issues. I for one can confidently say my next revolver will be a new Colt Python.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:05 AM

The die hard Colt haters are irrelevant to me. Just background noise. When I said issues I meant legit Python issues not troll issues.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:50 AM

I agree it was a nice video and good to see colt stepping up to handle the issues.

Love my Ruger wheel guns but this new python is growing on me.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:48 AM

Colt isn't the first company to face a bunch of bad press and issue a recall over some ridiculously simply manufacturing process like under torquing a screw.

They won't be the last either.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:24 PM

Most of the whiners will invariably be people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
It won't satisfy the die hard Colt haters though.

The next whine fest will probably be something along the lines of how long it took them to respond. No regard will be given to Shotshow, guns shipped back, or time it took to evaluate said guns.

I am satisfied with the response, and know to make sure everything on my gun is buttoned up tight
That do not have the wherewithal to buy one.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:07 AM

Colt posted a Video on You Tube yesterday;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBuhMC5JLA

Loctite on the side plate screws and don't take the side plate off for maintience.

On a $1500 gun?

Umm No I'm good, I'll pass
Old 02-23-2020, 09:24 AM

The next few thousand could be problem free, and people would still hate them. Colt haters are a special breed. When Colt does a temporary production halt of black rifles for the sake of contract filling, the internet attacks them viciously. When Remington kills Bushmaster and DPMS off entirely, no one cares. This shows that much of the internet Colt haters are literally looking for reasons to bash the company, since other companies get a pass for their stupidity. The same people that curse Colt seem to find nothing wrong with S&W's refusal to get rid of the lock.

Last edited by FNHipowerluv; 02-23-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:31 PM

I have a stainless Python Elite. Glad to see Colt brought it back. And are addressing these issues. I give them credit for that. Im not bashing them here! My only concern would be. I hope their QC is better. And they do fix these issues correctly. Not say they are. And customers are still having problems. I am optimistic though. Just may get another one in the future.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:50 PM

The next few thousand could be problem free, and people would still hate them. Colt haters are a special breed. When Colt does a temporary production halt of black rifles for the sake of contract filling, the internet attacks them viciously. When Remington kills Bushmaster and DPMS off entirely, no one cares. This shows that much of the internet Colt haters are literally looking for reasons to bash the company, since other companies get a pass for their stupidity. The same people that curse Colt seem to find nothing wrong with S&W's refusal to get rid of the lock.

Well said. That's spot on.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Tactical View Post

Loctite on the side plate screws and don't take the side plate off for maintience.

On a $1500 gun?

It's entirely reasonable to expect that sideplate screws will need some Loctite on a revolver firing magnum loads. It's also natural for Colt to officially discourage sideplate removal due to the number of idiots who will likely damage something and blame Colt for it.

On virtually all of my revolvers the screws have a tendency to loosen or even back out. It doesn't bother me though because I never put more than 100 rounds through a wheelgun in any given shooting session. They're not like semi-auto pistols where a person will often do mag dumps all day and burn through an entire case of ammo.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Tactical View Post

On a $1500 gun?

How many people have you come across on the gun forums that disassembled a gun, and had to seek help to put it back together?

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. I've gutted countless guns and rebuilt some from the ground up with aftermarket parts. Some were for a deep clean and lube. I would not hesitate to disassembly a Python, but that doesn't mean anyone without mechanical aptitude, or the know how should.

That statement from Colt was a liability CYA statement, because you know some tool will take one apart and somehow end up doing damage to the gun, or themselves.

Guns do weird things under recoil. I'm sure many S&W fan on here, has experienced the walking strain screw. I've had plenty of screws walk. You can torque them a bit tighter, or you can use a little green tread locker to hold them.

I've even had guns that would walk their damn rear sights off. You adapt and keep shooting. One got a raised dimple on the bottom of the sight, and the other got replaced. There was no more tightening of the set screws on that one, and I wanted one with a Bomar type blade.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 02-24-2020, 12:39 AM

All I can say is -- I want one!
Old 02-24-2020, 06:45 AM

^^^^^ me to
Old 02-24-2020, 07:25 AM

My dad and I took his new one out for the second time yesterday. Ran perfect and dead on balls accurate.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:42 AM

Strain screws on S&Ws can work loose. The newer guns seem to be worse. I use 242 loctite and it works. Side plate screws on Colts and S&Ws can also work loose. Looks like Colt has already got it figured out and it did not take long. My money is still on Colt. I feel the new design will indeed be more durable than the old design.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:37 AM

LOL...You guys complaining about the haters out number the haters 10-1. Personally I'm tired of hearing about it. How 'bout you quit your whining already.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0025xx View Post
LOL...You guys complaining about the haters out number the haters 10-1. Personally I'm tired of hearing about it. How 'bout you quit your whining already.
I'd consider it 50/50. Lots of posters just flock to these threads to hate the gun.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:57 PM
Administrator

They can hate it all they want. It's not stopping the fact that they are selling faster than Colt can make them, and that it's going to be awhile before we ever see any just sitting in a glass case or in stock at distributors. Just wait until they finally release the 4 1/4" version... it's going to get even worse.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:52 AM

^^^^^ That's what I'm waiting for ^^^^^
Old 02-25-2020, 06:25 AM

Exciting news
Old 02-25-2020, 10:21 AM

So, Loctite on the side plate screw, and the right mainspring, and all should be well. Hope the new Python does great going forward.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:34 AM

Colt has a winner here if you ask me. Glad to see they were able to come up with an answer in short order. I would jump on one if I didn't already have more than a few 357 revolvers already and I wasn't jonesing for another 1911. I'd certainly choose it over the GP100 Match Champion and S&W 686 I already have. I'm really really trying hard not to buy to many more guns.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
Colt has a winner here if you ask me. Glad to see they were able to come up with an answer in short order. I would jump on one if I didn't already have more than a few 357 revolvers already and I wasn't jonesing for another 1911. I'd certainly choose it over the GP100 Match Champion and S&W 686 I already have. I'm really really trying hard not to buy to many more guns.
How is that working for you? I keep telling myself no more but it has not happened yet.