Some people think that they have a right to bitch. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-18-2020, 12:42 AM

Some people think that they have a right to bitch.

They just do not get it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...2Hr?li=BBnb7Kz

RIP old sailor, RIP.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:59 AM

Amazing man, RIP.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:35 AM

They were America’s best. RIP
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2020, 10:18 AM

***"The fallen will never be forgotten".
Agent Orange---the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:34 AM

We owe our freedom to those men. Thank God for them.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:49 AM

The true end of an era is fast approaching..... the last American generation to actually experience 'hardship', with the Depression and a global war, will soon fade into history. We need to teach that history to the young ones, if we hope to have a chance.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
The true end of an era is fast approaching..... the last American generation to actually experience 'hardship', with the Depression and a global war, will soon fade into history. We need to teach that history to the young ones, if we hope to have a chance.
Hard times make strong men. We've been in soft times for a long time. The younger generations full of "soy boys" and effeminate men that are submissive to feminist women, and too scared to even handle a gun are evidence of this.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:57 PM

They are as tough as they need to be. Which in these easy times, isn't very tough at all.

But the ones that have enlisted and are currently fighting are very tough. They need to be, so they are.

And should there be a draft and the current generation trained & put on the battlefield, they will become tough too.

As quickly as soldiers, drawn from the civilian population, always have.

It's not reasonable to expect suburban high school seniors to get a Thousand Yard Stare and a Marine Corps attitude from playing baseball and raking leaves.

When called upon most people, regardless of their past, step up as needed.

Plenty of guys went from aimless hippie to Door Gunner in a very short time. Soft to hard as nails in less time than getting a Real Estate license.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
They are as tough as they need to be. Which in these easy times, isn't very tough at all.

But the ones that have enlisted and are currently fighting are very tough. They need to be, so they are.

And should there be a draft and the current generation trained & put on the battlefield, they will become tough too.

It's not reasonable to expect suburban high school seniors to get a Thousand Yard Stare and a Marine Corps attitude from playing baseball and raking leaves.

Plenty of guys went from aimless hippie to Door Gunner in a very short time. Soft to hard as nails in less time than getting a Real Estate license.

I hope to God you are right. Otherwise we are screwed.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:

There will always be percentage who are either tough already or can become tough, but they are not the majority. The percentage of hippies who became door-gunners isn't very high when you consider the number of aimless hippies. But even they were somewhat better prepared than a good percentage of today's folks. I dare say that the youth of today, as a group, can't cope as well as those of earlier generations. Of course, it doesn't help that we've dumbed them down and made them emotionally dependent - we're all complicit in that, unfortunately. As we speak, the military is having issues with recruits, and those are volunteers. I'd rather not think of the consequences of a draft in today's era.

But, as I normally do, I sincerely commend you for your optimism.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:23 PM

There are only so many of them left.

And each of them is a treasure forever lost.

The greatest generation, no doubt about it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-...4Jc?li=BBnb7Kz
Old 02-18-2020, 07:27 PM

RIP. Honor and respect. May there be some fine R&R where he can rejoin his shipmates for it.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-18-2020, 08:05 PM

Many Americans thought that the youth of our country were not up to the task of fighting Hitler's war machine.

The terms Soft, Coddled, and Undisciplined were used at that time.

This was one of the reasons there was political pressure to keep America out of a war that many felt we had no stake in. Pearl Harbor changed that real quick.

I think that 911 would have had a similar galvanizing effect had the enemy been as immediately identifiable as Japan & the Axis Powers were.

However, it still caused a large increase in recruitment anyhow.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:30 PM

Yes I guess the fact that all but one of the attackers were Saudi nationals

Quote:
I think that 911 would have had a similar galvanizing effect had the enemy been as immediately identifiable as Japan & the Axis Powers were.
Made it difficult to figure out who the enemy really was. To this day I think that Mecca rightfully should be a large field of radioactive glass.

Of course the 14 trillion dollars that the Saudis had in our banks at that time. It likely did little to affect the situation.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:31 PM
Administrator

I've known about Don Stratton for a long time. He was one of about a half-dozen "miracle survivors" who were on the part of the ship that exploded and was consumed by a huge fireball. He was in the port AA director just one deck above the bridge. How he survived is unbelievable, because the guys in the starboard AA director as well as the bridge below were all turned to ashes.

Sad to think there are now only two Arizona survivors left, but time marches on and won't wait for no one. RIP, Sir.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:35 PM

Now we have spoiled NFL players that kneel during the anthem. We need to ship that prima donnas ass out of here

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2020, 08:42 PM

The Greatest Generation is an understatement.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
Now we have spoiled NFL players that kneel during the anthem. We need to ship that prima donnas ass out of here
The last couple of generations have been pampered by over-friendly parents who've led them to believe that they deserve anything they want in life. When they end up in the Real World and find out it's a lot tougher than they were told they can't cope, and they either throw a hissy fit like Kapernick did or they snap and go on a shooting rampage. Stratton came from a generation that learned what it was like to get their asses kicked and to have to use their brains to survive. They knew humility and also the fact that the freedoms we enjoy in this country aren't free.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
And each of them is a treasure forever lost.

The greatest generation, no doubt about it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-...4Jc?li=BBnb7Kz
Wow, thanks for sharing that!