Remington R1 Quality Check? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-03-2019, 02:26 PM

Remington R1 Quality Check?

Hey guys, I’m currently in the market for a new 1911 GI style to eventually make my carry gun. I considered the R1 being that Remington has the rebate going on right now. However, I’m not sure if I wanna get one from the reviews that I’ve read. From needing repairs right out of the box, to extractor issues and malfunctions when shooting. Also, I’ve read about the cheap parts that are on the pistol as well. I know I’m not going to get top notch quality for the “1911 price range” that it falls in, but at the same time, if these issues are still occurring I’ll just get another RIA or the Springfield model I’ve been looking at. Most of these reviews have been a little dated, so I would like to know what is the quality of these guns now? Has Remington gotten better with the production? Hopefully they have because it is a nice looking gun
Old 06-03-2019, 05:11 PM

Sounds like you’ve done some research but still not sure. I say don’t, I never will again. Why would you want an unreliable gun as an EDC? Here is a link to a post that summarizes some of the issues I had with them.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=786458
Old 06-03-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
Sounds like you’ve done some research but still not sure. I say don’t, I never will again. Why would you want an unreliable gun as an EDC? Here is a link to a post that summarizes some of the issues I had with them.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=786458
Yeah I think I did read your thread upon research. Literally the ONLY reason that I am still considering it is because I have seen a few posts for the .45 where people say theirs perform flawlessly. At the same time, I do agree that the 9mm and .45 should be of the same quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 07:35 PM

I got a mid-size R1 about two years ago. It had several machine burrs on it, inside and out. ***? It's never had a bobble, maybe 5-600 rds. It has been my primary choice at work in construction.
I'm tempted to get a stainless while the rebate is on.

I just heard on the local news that Remington is laying-off 200 workers. They've been struggling to meet a tax-break contract they made with Huntsville, this sounds like a nail in the coffin.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:33 PM

If in doubt, go with the Springer.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:43 PM

Remington has not gotten better in the QC department, and buying one is a crapshoot.
I have been happy with mine, but my newest one was bought back in 2014 or so. They are probably a safe buy if you can get one cheap, but the Springfield Milspec is a better gun in every respect. You can find those on special as of late, and can get them for under 500. You get a Milspec in a package that lacks frills. You get the gun, a mag, and a cardboard box. They are marketing that under the Defender moniker.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 06-03-2019, 11:06 PM

Alright so it’s 3-1 so I think it’s safe to say that this gun is a no go
Old 06-03-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Springfield Milspec is a better gun in every respect. You can find those on special as of late, and can get them for under 500. You get a Milspec in a package that lacks frills. You get the gun, a mag, and a cardboard box. They are marketing that under the Defender moniker.
Where are you finding the Milspec for under 500? Is that price for a used one? In my area I can’t get one for less than 600
Old 06-04-2019, 09:30 AM

I purchased my R1-S Jan. 2014 and I've not had a bit of trouble with it nor have I modified it in any way.....I've ran well over 800 rounds (all were 230 gr. hardball) through it and they were mostly my hand loads.

To me it's a range / fun gun and the accuracy is more than good enough for what I expect from it......I enjoy hearing the clang and seeing the splat on the 10", 8" and 6" black steel gongs at 25 yds.

NRA Range Safety Officer.

2B1Ask1.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:26 AM

My R1 is perfect in every way. Guess I just got lucky.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:28 AM

I Have the R1 Carry Commander and it holds right there with my Colts in reliability and accuracy , it's all about tuning it in and proper setup for any good 1911 .
Someone mentioned Springer's , I have the RO and it's nice but you will get a glued in ejector , not penned and replacement parts that are not standardized .
Springers shoot and sighted in at the 6:00 position and wait until you have to replace the sights , have fun .
Old 06-04-2019, 01:24 PM

I shot my new R1S yesterday for the first time.
I had the two OEM magazines, and 7 aftermarket magazines with me.
The two OEM magazines worked well, as did the atermarkets (for the most part).
I had one round that did not chamber fully with an aftermarket mag. A quick tap on the rear of the slide and in she went.
Only had time to shoot 57 rounds, but the gun functioned very well for its first time out. The trigger is bit heavy for me, but I will let the gun wear in for a while until I make a decision for trigger work.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:55 PM

I have a Ruger, 2 Kimbers, and 1 Remington 1911. I love the Remington. My brother has 3 Remington 1911's, and they are all great. My nephew has a Remington R1 Commander that has been great too, but his fiancee shoots it better than him which he doesn't like.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:36 PM

R1's

I've had the standard model R1 and also an R1 Enhanced. Sold the standard model but kept the Enhanced. I like the additional features offered on the Enhanced model.

Both the R1 and the Enhanced were made in the New York facility. Both have been been trouble free.

Just got the new Gun.deals e-mail today. With the rebate (and buying thru GrabaGun) the deals being offered on the R1 Standard and the R1 Enhanced with threaded barrel are darn tempting (R1 for $412 shipped plus FFL fee and the Enhanced for $494 shipped plus FFL fee).

Man, that Enhanced with the threaded barrel is really tempting!!!
Old 06-04-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent.45 View Post
Where are you finding the Milspec for under 500? Is that price for a used one? In my area I can’t get one for less than 600
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View...Product%20Feed

https://grabagun.com/sprgfld-45acp-s...c-pkrzd-1.html

This is a brand new normal parked Milspec, but is being sold in a no frills package. You get one gun, one mag, one pair of grips, and most likely a cardboard box.
1911forum member #7
Old 06-05-2019, 07:46 AM

My full size R1 enhanced is a tack driver. Outstanding fit and finish. It is a threaded barrel model and I couldn’t be happier with it.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:17 AM

So far I've been really impressed!

Quote:
Hey guys, Iím currently in the market for a new 1911 GI style to eventually make my carry gun. I considered the R1 being that Remington has the rebate going on right now. However, Iím not sure if I wanna get one from the reviews that Iíve read. From needing repairs right out of the box, to extractor issues and malfunctions when shooting. Also, Iíve read about the cheap parts that are on the pistol as well. I know Iím not going to get top notch quality for the ď1911 price rangeĒ that it falls in, but at the same time, if these issues are still occurring Iíll just get another RIA or the Springfield model Iíve been looking at. Most of these reviews have been a little dated, so I would like to know what is the quality of these guns now? Has Remington gotten better with the production? Hopefully they have because it is a nice looking gun
I have a modest collection of 1911's. 2 Colts, 3 Springfield Armories (including on EMP 40 S&W), and one Kimber Ultra-Carry. Nothing fancy or customized. A week ago the local Bass Pro Shop ran an ad on the Remington R1. I had won a couple of gift certificates there and with their sale, the $75 rebate and my gift cards, I figured "what the heck", I'll add to my collection for about $375 out of my pocket. I bought it, brought it home, lubed in and loaded the clips (I live on 35 acres and shoot off my back porch). First shot, jam! I thought "oh, crap, here we go!). I put one drop of oil on the feed ramp and so far I've run about 100 rounds through the gun without a hitch. I even shot a box of Tulammo steels through it with no problems. I had read this gun won't shoot anything but hardball. Bull woppy. It shoots my 200 SWC lead reloads just fine.

I know Remington has really been going down over the last 10 years or so, but so far I'm really happy with this R1. I hope I don't have issues with it as I have read, as have others, that their customer service stinks. The Bass Pro guy that sold it to me even said that if I had an issue, TRY to send it back to Remington first and if they wouldn't help me, bring it back there and they would send it off for repair (meaning Remington might give them more attention than a single customer).

It does shoot everything but my 185 grain HP reloads a tad low, but it groups ok and the windage is perfect.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:37 PM

Well I guess I might reconsider. The only thing is I see a bunch of the good reviews about the enhanced version. But if this trickles down to the GI then I might go for it
Old 06-08-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Well I guess I might reconsider. The only thing is I see a bunch of the good reviews about the enhanced version. But if this trickles down to the GI then I might go for it
Remington knows how to build a 1911. They were contracted to make them all the way back during WWI. I have been pleased with my two, and they are just the base models (R1 R1S). It's that currently, they are blowing guns out the door that are made to the cheapest standards. Quality control suffers when that happens.

You are probably safe buying one if...

1. You can get it cheap.
2. Have the ability to trouble shoot and solve issues should they arise.
3. Understand that the gun you buy is being put out by a company with little to no quality control, and most likely would not be a lot of help to you should you need warranty work.

If you want a base gun that is good right out of the box, is forged, and has a warranty that the company will stand behind. Then take a look at the sub 500 dollar Springfield Milspec Defender. It is 10 times the gun quality wise than any current model Remington.
1911forum member #7
Old 06-09-2019, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post

Remington knows how to build a 1911. They were contracted to make them all the way back during WWI. I have been pleased with my two, and they are just the base models (R1 R1S). It's that currently, they are blowing guns out the door that are made to the cheapest standards. Quality control suffers when that happens.

You are probably safe buying one if...

1. You can get it cheap.
2. Have the ability to trouble shoot and solve issues should they arise.
3. Understand that the gun you buy is being put out by a company with little to no quality control, and most likely would not be a lot of help to you should you need warranty work.

If you want a base gun that is good right out of the box, is forged, and has a warranty that the company will stand behind. Then take a look at the sub 500 dollar Springfield Milspec Defender. It is 10 times the gun quality wise than any current model Remington.
I do understand that no quality control is basically like picking numbers from a hat, but that’s why I’ve asked opinions because I have heard about their customer service as well. The last few have said theirs have run great so that leaves me to think that the quality is there without checking. This gun is basically going to be a beater gun, but I’m not going to treat it like dirt either. So as long as it functions properly after the break in period then I’ll be happy. It’s just that small chance that I will get a bad apple that bothers me

Also, what is the difference between the defender series and the regular Mil-Spec on the Springfield?
Old 06-09-2019, 09:10 AM

What reviews have you seen that gave the R1 a bad score? If you look online at the forums such as this one or others you'll more times than not see extremely biased opinions, both pro & con. Instead of "listening" to random comments on a online forum and basing your decision just on that, go to your LGS and pick up a Remington R1, look it over, work the action, inspect it closely and come to your own conclusion. Pick up other 1911's, and check them out the same way. Compare them to the R1. That is the only fair way of judging.

All I can say is I bought my standard R1 several months ago and other than for the first couple hundred rounds "break in", it functioned flawlessly. At this moment, Remington is offering a $75 rebate, and IMO for the money you cannot go wrong on a mil-spec entry level 1911 .45. The only downfall I can think of regarding the R1 is although it comes with decent 3 dot sights, you're limited with aftermarket sights because the dovetail cuts are not novak cuts. They're GI dovetail cuts.

Last edited by RGVshooter; 06-09-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGVshooter View Post
What reviews have you seen that gave the R1 a bad score? If you look online at the forums such as this one or others you'll more times than not see extremely biased opinions, both pro & con. Instead of "listening" to random comments on a online forum and basing your decision just on that, go to your LGS and pick up a Remington R1, look it over, work the action, inspect it closely and come to your own conclusion. Pick up other 1911's, and check them out the same way. Compare them to the R1. That is the only fair way of judging.

All I can say is I bought my standard R1 several months ago and other than for the first couple hundred rounds "break in", it functioned flawlessly. At this moment, Remington is offering a $75 rebate, and IMO for the money you cannot go wrong on a mil-spec entry level 1911 .45. The only downfall I can think of regarding the R1 is although it comes with decent 3 dot sights, you're limited with aftermarket sights because the dovetail cuts are not novak cuts. They're GI dovetail cuts.
Great post
Old 06-09-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Just get one, at the price you can't go wrong. Most of the people on forums who are parroting bad things about the R1 have never owned or shot one.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGVshooter View Post

As stated before, the ones I found were from a few years back which is why I’m not just putting it out of the fight. I would go to my LGS and try it out, but in my area this gun isn’t as popular. They like to keep the more expensive ones on the shelves like Colt, Kimber, Springfield, etc. Something like the R1, when you ask, they either have to order it or look to see if another store has it. So it’s not like I’m basing my decision completely off of comments, I just don’t have access to see for myself that maybe you do. My prior 2 purchases I did exactly that. I was able to go in and feel the gun and look for imperfections. I did still look for reviews but that was just to check for any catastrophic failures or major reliability issues people were having which is essentially what I’m doing here
Old 06-09-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I do understand that no quality control is basically like picking numbers from a hat, but thatís why Iíve asked opinions because I have heard about their customer service as well. The last few have said theirs have run great so that leaves me to think that the quality is there without checking. This gun is basically going to be a beater gun, but Iím not going to treat it like dirt either. So as long as it functions properly after the break in period then Iíll be happy. Itís just that small chance that I will get a bad apple that bothers me

Also, what is the difference between the defender series and the regular Mil-Spec on the Springfield?
Well.. I have two of the base model R1's, and don't have any complaints about them. They are both solid guns that are reliable.

The Defender is the same gun as the Milspec. I mean it is literally the same gun. The only difference is that it is being sold in a lesser package. One gun, one cardboard box, one mag, and one pair of plain wood checkered grips.

Where as buying the gun in the normal Milspec package, would get you the gun, two mags, two pair of grips, a plastic box, and probably the useless holster and slightly more useful mag carrier.
1911forum member #7