Springfield Custom Shop at Shot Show - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-30-2020, 12:11 PM

Springfield Custom Shop at Shot Show

I spend a good amount of time this year at the Springfield booth. Don't you just love Rob Leatham doing his annual raffle...excellent marketing!

I never paid much attention to their 1911s and was never exposed to their custom shop guns. I took a close look to the 6-7 custom shop guns on display and wow...fit, finish, triggers, supper job and I would love to own 1 or 2, one in 45 one in 9. Very tasteful guns too. Any comments or experience with them? How do they shoot compared to the rest of the A-team offerings in the market?
Old 01-30-2020, 12:29 PM

Springfield Custom Shop is my goto for 1911.

Iíve been impressed with Dan Wesson too.

Me personally Iíll take a Springfield over almost every other 1911. Thatís just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-30-2020, 12:37 PM

Dan Wesson had been my goto since 2019 and their 9mm my absolute favorite. I shoot it all the time. They are well fit, consistent gun to gun and great accuracy.

You think Springfield would be the same or better? Price wise is quite a step up between $2700 and $3500 from WIR. I like the hard fit similar to my Baers but much much consistent gun to gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2020, 12:52 PM

I love my Wesson.

Top is a BEC Built Springfield

Bottom is my valor 10mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-30-2020, 12:57 PM

I've been a part of the 1911 forum and some fb groups for a little over a month. It's not long. I understand stand that.

With that said, I've wondered about the quality of springfield's custom shop.

Wheb peole are asked who does better work out of the top custom 1911 companies, I can not get a strait answer. Either one company does something better than the other or its just a matter of picking one bexusse they are all equal.

With that said, does anyone know if springfield's custom does better or worse work than any popular company like Wilson combat, Dan wesson etc?

In this time, All I heard were people commenting on how smooth a 1911 is, how smooth the slide is, how tight a gun is, the finish is really good and the list goes on. All that is only opinion and isn't measured by a standard.

So does anyone have any thing else that is factual on how their custom shop is compared to a high teir company offering?
Old 01-30-2020, 05:31 PM

I've had a SACS Professional for about 5 yrs now. Beautiful gun. Very accurate. Highly recommended.

On par with anything I have from Brown, Baer, NHC, WC et al......

Last edited by TRSOtto; 01-30-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:13 PM

I love my SACS PISTOLS .. both of these pistols today have over 8000 rds
each . What details would you like to know ?
They are very reliable , Solid shooters . The Springfield Custom shop smiths
are some of the best in the world . Their are only 2 Custom Pistol makers I
would buy from today . # 1 is SACS ( Springfield Armory Custom Shop )
# 2 is ACW ( Alchemy Custom Weaponry ) .

Last edited by Billy1911; 01-31-2020 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-Bansheeman View Post
I've been a part of the 1911 forum and some fb groups for a little over a month. It's not long. I understand stand that.

With that said, I've wondered about the quality of springfield's custom shop.

Wheb peole are asked who does better work out of the top custom 1911 companies, I can not get a strait answer. Either one company does something better than the other or its just a matter of picking one bexusse they are all equal.

With that said, does anyone know if springfield's custom does better or worse work than any popular company like Wilson combat, Dan wesson etc?

In this time, All I heard were people commenting on how smooth a 1911 is, how smooth the slide is, how tight a gun is, the finish is really good and the list goes on. All that is only opinion and isn't measured by a standard.

So does anyone have any thing else that is factual on how their custom shop is compared to a high teir company offering?
There is no 1-10 scale I am aware of. IMO the similarly priced semi-custom guns are pretty competitive. If they weren't they would be out of business sooner than later. Word travels fast.
The semi-custom (SC) builders buy their components for close to the same prices and a certain level of hand fitting costs about the same. Above the level of Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk etc. improvements are incremental and the cost is exponential. The big money is in the hand fitting. The builders each have their own philosophies and the guns personalities reflect that.
Dan Wesson is a very good production gun. Above that in quality are the SC and finally the full customs where the sky is the limit. Les Baer builds a good SC that some say is kind of basic. A little more money gets you into the mainstream SC builders that have a bit of refinement. This is where the Springfield Armory custom shop lies. Look up the FBI tests SA's Professional aced. Impressive.

A $7,000+ gun will be worth it to a collector or someone that appreciates precision and quality. Such a gun may have a 5 year waiting list.

Last edited by Autonomous; 01-30-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:31 PM

I'm a great fan of the SACS. Love their build philosophy, and am extremely happy with my 9mm Ultimate Carry.

A few years back, they also did some work (trigger and rear sight installation, and recontoured and re-checkered the front strap) on my Les Baer Custom Carry. The front sight, refinish, and magwell was later done by Rob at Alchemy.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:58 AM

If you want a good read as to how good SACS is . You can read how
SACS got the FRI Professional Contract . Its called the most wanted .
Probably one of the most tested 1911 or pistol under taking ever done .
read about it , Just scroll down to post #8 by Thundrr1 here :
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=459534

Old 01-31-2020, 03:34 AM

If you think SACS is great now . Scroll though this thread . In the good old
days before 2016 , you use to be able to send your stock 1911 into SACS and
they would turn your 1911 , into the custom of your dreams when they were a
full service custom shop . We all miss thoughts days .

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=237763
Old 02-02-2020, 09:05 AM

I have owned several SACS guns...as others have said the fit and finish rivals any other semi custom builders. They do things the old school way in my opinion.....they may not have all the cosmetic options as Nighthawk, however they will be every bit as accurate.

SACS use to be the best kept secret in the semi custom world...then word got out and eventually they limited their custom list options...and all together quit doing full customer spec’d out builds.

To me they are the epitome of a purpose built working gun...everything you need to make it run,nothing you don’t.

If they were to start up their custom shop again to do full specd guns, I would be first in the list.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:07 AM

I just said OK to a late 2013 ( still making FBI guns ) Pro for sale on another forum!
Old 02-03-2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4110mm View Post
Dan Wesson had been my goto since 2019 and their 9mm my absolute favorite. I shoot it all the time. They are well fit, consistent gun to gun and great accuracy.

You think Springfield would be the same or better? Price wise is quite a step up between $2700 and $3500 from WIR. I like the hard fit similar to my Baers but much much consistent gun to gun.
See the above post. I had been planing on waiting a year before buying a better quality semi-custom 1911. This SA Custom shop gun blew my plan out of the water.

I seriously thought I'd get a Chambers Workin' Man's Gun, Alchemy Customs Prime or similar but this one has a certain cachet.
Not a sweet Chambers or Alchemy cachet but It's own.

Last edited by Autonomous; 02-03-2020 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:07 PM

Springfield Custom invented the market for semi custom 1911's. They just have not prioritized the business model as others have.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:32 PM

SACS does great work.
Picked up from another forum, I believe the member is here as well.
Only thing I really would have changed was not omit the Custom Logo.
The trigger on this thing is amazing.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:45 PM

Does SACS still take custom work? I am thinking about custom work on my lipsey's combat operator 9mm
Old 02-12-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummykid View Post
Does SACS still take custom work? I am thinking about custom work on my lipsey's combat operator 9mm
Not really. Trigger work/limited sight options/match barrel/limited refinishes.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom View Post
Springfield Custom invented the market for semi custom 1911's. They just have not prioritized the business model as others have.
Was it done when Les Baer was there?
Old 02-12-2020, 01:16 PM

Yes. The Custom Shop was started prior to Les arriving at Springfield in 1991/1992. Les Lucas (APG Member), Rick Keegan, Lenny Brown and couple of other guys were already there under the guidance of the previous Custom Shop Director. I can't remember his name for the life of me. I'm getting too old now.

After Les departed, Jack Weigand ran the Custom Shop. Then, when Jack left Dave Williams took over. Dave was hired when Les was there.

The models that they had were all in place prior to Les arriving. The 38 Super Distinguished Comp in hard chrome was the flagship model. They were right around $2k even back in those days. They had the Custom Expert and the Custom Carry at the time too. Kind of a different market back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbee View Post
Was it done when Les Baer was there?
Old 02-12-2020, 04:01 PM

From what I understand Dave has some dealings with the custom shop still....but is mostly over R&D now. In 2015 I went back and forth for months with him when he helped spec out my custom carry 9...couldn’t ask for a better guy.

I spoke with SA last week and was trying to get through to Deb in the custom shop....was told she is longer working the custom pistol shop and they are currently looking to fill her spot.....

ETA. Alchemy......did Dave actually build guns do you know or was he mostly over seeing the day to day functions when he was custom shop director?

Last edited by jmb501; 02-12-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb501 View Post
I spoke with SA last week and was trying to get through to Deb in the custom shop....was told she is longer working the custom pistol shop and they are currently looking to fill her spot.....
Had the same experience today, what bummer.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb501 View Post

Holy s*** That is the best news I've heard . You just made My year .

Changes at the SACS . This could turn out to be a great thing .
Old 02-13-2020, 06:20 AM

Interesting that you think rotating a customer service employee out of a position bodes well for the division.
Joe
Old 02-13-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1911 View Post
Holy s*** That is the best news I've heard . You just made My year .

Changes at the SACS . This could turn out to be a great thing .
When I sent a pistol to SACS Deb E. was most helpful.
I don't understand why you feel this is a good thing?