Winchester 230gr Service Grade - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-12-2019, 08:39 AM

Winchester 230gr Service Grade

Anyone have experience with this ammo??? I got a box of it for under $19 with birthday discount at MidWayUSA.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:35 AM

Used quite a bit of Service Grade at the range. Functions reliably in my guns, decent accuracy too. Get mine via mail order; mostly from https://www.sgammo.com/site_search?p...=SERVICE+GRADE
Old 12-12-2019, 01:33 PM

"Service grade" means you are expected to clean your weapon after shooting it. (or as civilians pukes say - "it's dirty ammo") Watch for squibs. Definitiely save the brass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2019, 04:43 PM

I suspect it's no different than WWB.

Yes I clean my gun every range trip. If it's been more than a week I break my pistol down, and oil it.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:15 AM

the local ammo store in my area has the brown box Winchester Service Grade for $15.69 a box regular price ,

thats cheaper than WWB from WALMART
Old 12-13-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBray1983 View Post

Yes I clean my gun every range trip. If it's been more than a week I break my pistol down, and oil it.
But it is.......
There’s another thread running on that topic.
The brown box is a bit hotter and seems to be more consistent than normal junk WWB.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Anyone have experience with this ammo??? I got a box of it for under $19 with birthday discount at MidWayUSA.
It’s OK target stuff.
Not to be rude, but that’s not a deal. Especially with a discount.
If you buy a case (10) from SG or Lucky gunner, it comes out to $13 and change.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:43 PM

I ordered other items too.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:43 PM

I was given a box of this last summer and was surprised at how well it did through my WC Professional Model, so much so that I ordered a case of the stuff.

- Charles Bukowski
Old 01-09-2020, 09:34 PM

The newer "service grade" (in 9mm) is different that the older stuff. I've shot a bunch of it. The older stuff had a flat nose. The latest bunch I bought has a round nose. It "feels" to me like it's not as hot. I don't have a chronograph, but the older feels like it has slightly more recoil, and is a little louder. The new stuff definitely is smokier and smells different than the old. I have some of the new, and some of the old, and I've shot it back to back. I haven't shot any WWB in a while, but I suspect the newer service grade is just WWB in a different box.

A theory I have....that's just a guess. When Winchester comes out with "new" ammo, ie, "Service Grade" "USA Ready" ect they use their best lines, and components. After people buy this new, hot, clean reliable ammo for a while they switch the lines and components over to another new line. The older stuff becomes rebranded WWB.

Browning is getting (back?) into selling ammo. It's my understanding that Winchester is manufacturing it. My brother in law bought a box (150) of 9mm 124 grain. It was good shooting, not smokey, not funny smelling ammo. I bought....... a bunch. I suspect after a while the price will go up and the quality will go down.

Again, this is just a theory, but there's definitely a difference between the early "Service Grade" I've bought compared to what I've bought recently.

I clean my guns regularly so I'm not concerned with "dirty" ammo. Both the new and old service grade has gone BANG every time I've pulled the trigger. There's just a noticeable difference between the new and the old.
I thought this was a gun forum. The rules read "This sub-forum is for general gun-related discussion only. No political commentary or other off-topic discussions are allowed, nor subjects that barely have anything to do with guns or shooting. The only section where off-topic discussion is currently allowed is in the special sub-forum created for site supporters.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:50 AM

Well, you may have one thing accurate....you never can tell what these guys are going to dump on you. I’ll go along with the theory that Winchester will toss in anything lying around that will make them money.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:

It looks like Winchester white box USA grade to me also. Looks like a marketing purpose name change.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:21 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
It is a sad note for such an iconic company, but I wouldn't buy anything from Winchester on a bet. All you're doing is feeding a trash machine. They have long since given up any semblance of quality in their products.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-12-2020, 09:42 AM

I still like their logo though!
SUPER X, what’s not to like about that?? Sad day.....
Old 02-09-2020, 09:03 PM

I picked up a box and ran it through my Wilson Combat Professional. As expected, it functioned flawlessly; what I wasn't expecting was the nice, tight group it delivered at 15 yards.

Maybe it's just my gun, but I bought a case of the stuff the following week and the results are always the same.

- Charles Bukowski
Old 02-10-2020, 07:13 AM

You must flinch a lot!
Maybe they actually had a good run for a change. I would like to think that they started doing things right again, but I seriously doubt it.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:29 PM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
You got lucky. Be thankful.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-10-2020, 07:00 PM

Im on my 3rd 1000rd box and no problems here ...
Old 02-11-2020, 07:44 AM

No problems is fine, but is a surprise in and of itself.
You say “nice size” groups, which is defined quite differently by many of our excellent marksmen on this forum. Sand bags? Freehand? What is a nice group from 15 yards to you? 12”, 8”, 5”, 3”, 1” ???? This will help me understand what your results mean. I don’t know how accomplished you are and we know there’s no problem with the weapon, so I can fill in the blanks.....
Old 02-14-2020, 09:13 AM

My stocks of Service Grade getting low (by my standards). Ordered more except for SG45SWC which I have not been able to find recently; hoarding my last few boxes of this.

Like the way it functions in my Colts & Rugers; nice accuracy hitting the steel disks at 25 yards shooting one handed.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:31 AM

From another thread, keep in mind this has crimped primers for those considering loading the stuff. Good brass I guess, if you want the additional step.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:43 PM

I shot a box of the brown Winchester "Service Grade" ammo. No problems at all. Every round fired. Accuracy was suitable (for me, anyways... ) but I found it to run a tad hotter than normal WWB. It was also just as filthy as WWB if that matters any. Oh well... just another reason to keep my beloved full size RIA 1911 .45 ACP clean as a whistle!
Old 02-21-2020, 07:18 AM

Tell that to the guy that “almost never” cleans his guns!
Believe it or not, there are a few.......I don’t get it.....
Old 02-21-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
I shot a box of the brown Winchester "Service Grade" ammo. No problems at all. Every round fired. Accuracy was suitable (for me, anyways... ) but I found it to run a tad hotter than normal WWB. It was also just as filthy as WWB if that matters any. Oh well... just another reason to keep my beloved full size RIA 1911 .45 ACP clean as a whistle!
PMC ammo is extremely more dirty in my guns; 380, 9mm, & 45acp than Winchester, Federal, Magtech, etc. None is difficult to clean though.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:28 PM

I have had quite the opposite result. For some stupid reason (because I reload), I cannot resist grabbing a box or 2 if they are on sale. The brass is good to load and I find that it is far cleaner than WWB garbage. It is far superior in every way.