1911Forum banner

Multi Tools

5K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  TRSOtto 
#1 ·
I have reviewed the threads about the subject but didn’t find a concensis for my question. IF IT WERE FREE & If it was NOT FOR CARRY ON YOUR PERSON BUT FOR LIVING IN YOUR VEHICLE IN A NON RESTRICTED STATE....
Which multi tool would you stash in your truck that offered the most just in case uses? I don’t want to find one later that supersedes mine.

#2 ·
They sell a zillion of them.

So there are likely some good ones. But I have never been all that crazy about any of them. Generally they are only marginally useful for any of the functions that they pretend to have utility for. I would just keep a basic tool kit with real functional tools before I would keep a multi tool in my vehicle.

#5 ·
So there are likely some good ones. But I have never been all that crazy about any of them. Generally they are only marginally useful for any of the functions that they pretend to have utility for. I would just keep a basic tool kit with real functional tools before I would keep a multi tool in my vehicle.
This was what caused the question. The real point is when you leave your truck, your tools stay there. Don’t get far from your truck where real tools and a long gun live.

#4 ·
I carried a Gerber multi tool for years but had to have it replaced under warranty 3 times-their metalurgy seemed to get worse with each replacement. Now I have SOG multitools in my go bags, tackle box, & on my touring motorcycle-plenty of room in the truck for a full set of handtools. They are holding up much better to my sometimes hard use.
https://www.sogknives.com/type/multi-tools.html

#7 ·
If I have a truck I would keep at the very least a small toolbox or bag in it - not a multi tool. Multi tools were invented to hang on your belt and most of them have EXTREMELY limited uses as a "tool". I worked for years out of a truck filled with tools and the number of times having a multi tool on my belt saving me from hiking back to the truck was pretty limited. I suppose it comes down to being satisfied with using the proper tool and doing a good job - or doing a half a$$ed fix with a multi tool. For all of the Leatherman fans - did you know the owner is adamantly anti gun and donates to those groups? (and his tools are not all that great anyway)

#8 ·
For all of the Leatherman fans - did you know the owner is adamantly anti gun and donates to those groups? (and his tools are not all that great anyway)
That is the reason that I keep looking at all the multi-tools out there. Admitting to their limited use as any type of "tool", I do find the occasion to use them in my job. I will keep looking, but being a cheap bastard, this free Leatherman may have to keep it's place in my pocket until I "lose" it and am forced into buying something else.

Troy341

#13 ·
I have most all of them . 2 SOG a paratool from the 80s and I love it. I have a bigger one That goes not fold. It clips on my pocket or belt. Has LARGE blade and pliers on the end. SOG makes good stuff from quality steel so the blades stay sharp. I have many leather man. Wave. Crunch, skeletool, and an original. I have a prototype made by Stanley. I have a Columbia River Zillatool. My top dollar one is a Spyderco. I do have a gerber, but do not use it. Just nothing I like about it. I have a Bear Jaws that have wire strippers instead of pliers. These ride in my truck.

The leather man wave can access the knife blade without opening the tool. A nice feature.

David

#15 ·
Gerber goes in the Jeep in the console and an original model Leatherman goes in the hunting pack. They have both come in very handy to help make quick repairs tie down loads, open a stubborn box etc etc. About the only thing I have never used on a multitool or Swiss Army knife is a cork screw.

#16 ·
A good point about the Swiss army knives.

They present themselves as being a lot more useful to me than most of the multi tools that I have attempted to use.

#17 ·
I really like my two Victornox brand multitools. The saw, scissors, pliers, wire cutters, can opener are all used on a regular basis. No way would I go for lefterman brand. Had a gerber 400 which was decent but the curved handles on the victornox fit my hand much better.

#20 ·
I have a ridiculous knife fetish, but I was a young hipster in the Army and in 1983, I eschewed my giant survival knife and switched to the very first Leatherman Pocket Survival tool. There is no better company ever for customer service. My original PST has been repaired 4 times after using it as a prybar, a lever, a hammer... all for free. The last time I got a phone call asking me if it was sentimental and if I wanted a replacement... no way, I said. Fix it best as you can and send it back.

I keep a leatherman Surge with ratchet and bit kit in my cars and motorcycles. I have a leatherman wave for EDC that I keep in my work case/bag or on my belt.

I would never consider any other brand.

#21 · (Edited)
My preference is the Leatherman, and not really that picky on the model since they all have the essential tools on them. However, I refuse to buy one new since I do not like the political stance that Leatherman has taken, so I snatch them up when I see them at a pawn shop. That way Leatherman does not benefit from my dollars. I also have Gerber, Buck, Victorinox, and SOG...most of them found in the same manner. One of my good friends owns a pawn shop and puts the good multi-tools away for me. I generally get these for around $20-$25 each. Every vehicle I have, from cars and trucks, boat, ATVs, UTVs, and motorcycles has one in it. Every backpack and range bag has one, and I have several spares as well. Larger vehicles also get a basic tool kit. When in the field I have one on my belt too. In reality they are just extra weight until you need one, and then they are priceless, so I always have one close at hand. They can't do everything, but they do allow me to do a lot that I could not do with just a knife or with my bare hands.

#22 · (Edited)
Follow-Up
I bought the SOG PowerAccess Lightweight. Haven’t needed or used it yet but so far I managed to figure out how to unlock the locking tools and break/tear/snag fingernails. I have not cut myself YET, but give me time. I selected the SOG because of the tooth/gear driven (PowerAccess) needlenose plyers. I travel in the needle nose weeds more often than blunt nose (lineman) poles. I do wish it had a scissor app! Are multi tools addictive?

#34 ·
I have several Gerbers of the earlier persuasion. I have used the crap out of them. If you go on eBay you can often find an earlier built Gerber for a great price.. I never ever leave home without it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.