1911Forum banner

SHTF Preparation

7K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  former 2W 
#1 ·
We often hear how people pour thousands of dollars into SHTF gear buying the very best there is, now in todays economy most people are laid off, reduced working hours with ever mounting bills. So with a very limited SHTF budget say $1500.00 lets see what we can put together to help are fellow SHTF brothers and sisters survive in bad times. Lets not make this a wish list but what $1500.00 would actually buy in todays market.

#5 ·
That is what I was thinking. Every customer I work with can't find enough workers. If you are not working now you don't want to work or maybe like Eddie in Christmas vacation are holding out for a management position.

#4 ·
1,500 $ worth of frozen microwave corn dogs.

That should keep you going for a while.

#6 ·
If all you have to start with is $1500 then option # 1 spend it on water purification, canned food, a manual can opener and some way to cook it without electricity make the rest up as you go.
Option #2 spend it all on bullets so you can fight your way through the event your prepping for- just take someone else's preps
option #3 if all you have is $1500 to survive on then use the money to bribe your way onto the FEMA bus when it comes through the neighborhood

#8 ·
I have some food stored in case of emergency . . . rice in glass jars with metal lids, dehydrated potatoes, dried beans of various kinds - all kept in sealed containers. Salt, honey, various seasonings. Also canned foods, such as potatoes, meats (tuna, chicken, ham, beef, sardines).

I also keep a decent supply of Ramen noodles on hand, double bagged in ziplocks. The wife and I like them, and the supply is gradually rotated out. I tried a pack of noodles that had a use by date of 2012 not long ago I found in my hunting bag, and they smelled and tasted fine.

I have all this kind of food stored in cabinet in my basment den . . . temp and humidity levels stay pretty constant. Never had any issue with rodent or insect infestation. I've never bought any commercial survival foods, although if they keep coming down in price I may consider it.

I have some water purification tablets, and some water filtration devices which would keep us in potable water for a long while. In fact, I also have a couple of emergency water bags, which if you have advanced warning of some issue it can be put in a bathtub and filled with water - 100 to 150 gallons I believe, and they came with a pump.

Not a huge expense all told - certainly spread out over an extended period.

#9 ·
So I am looking at this from a different perspective. A static budget of $1500 suggests that preparedness is a destination, not a journey. I would also add it depends upon your specific risk profile. Some located in the inner city may dedicate money to the ability to evade out of the city for 72 hours, while others may make an investment in their current location to shelter in place. Weapons, water and food. (I consider a firearm a part of "Shelter" in the survival protocol).

So in short, I would invest in what I needed to endure the first 72 - 96 hours.

#10 ·
if you only have 1500 and you're not working and you have mounting bills I think SHalreadyHTF for you.? I would suggest rice and beans to eat not, not save for later. Along with paying off any significant high interest debt, probably learning anything you need to get a new job somewhere.

EMP in the future doesn't really matter if they shut your power off next week for non-payment.

Honestly, if you have a handgun from this century (or late last) and a box of ammo for it you should be fine. learn how to purify water (solar still, filters, whatever) and get a life straw. buy 100 pounds of rice at the local ethnic grocery store.

But if one was in the position you describe I would suggest they get the rest of their life together before preparing for any wide spread issues.

#11 · (Edited)
Ten pound bags of pancake mix and syrup. At jet.com its cheap. Fresh water bottled, coffee, cowboy coffee. Heat, baking goods, bread the staple of life. Woodstove with oven.

In that freakish snow storm in October a few years back we went with no power for seven days. It’s no different than being at my hunting camp in the wilds. We did fill the toilet manually with water.

#12 ·
Safe water is first priority, you can only last 3 days without good water. You could last 3 weeks without food. Sounds like most are storing high carb low fat food. I would do the opposite and store stable fats and protein. A high carb diet will be ineffective at supporting physical strength and sound decision making. Beans are not much better. To use their protein takes energy which the carbs can supply but without fat you are doomed anyway. If you don't believe me try eating rice, noodles and beans for a month now before the crisis hits. PZ - I tried it and it was very educational.

You may have to defend yourself and your stash. Most of us on this forum has plenty of guns and ammo. If you have to kill hundreds all the food and ammo will not matter.invest in some sound reading or get it free on the interest. Keep in mind that there is a lot of inaccurate advi e out there. Use your common sense.

#13 · (Edited)
One thing I've learned here (similar discussions in this sub-section) -- and it is valuable -- from these types of discussions is that the nature of the more likely risks/disasters differs widely by region or even specific locale. E.g., with some types of disasters, sheltering-in-place is best; but that is not so feasible with certain other types of disasters.

Other than universal desirability of temporary water/food supplies -- and of course a firearm + ammo -- it seems generally advisable to choose SHTF supplies based on the more likely risks/disasters for the person's locale.

A well-stocked bug-out bag is obviously critical in a fire-prone area ... we've seen this in the California fires, for example. But there are other locales where plans to shelter-in-place for an extended time might make more sense (of course, the latter does not preclude having a well-planned bug-out bag).

#15 · (Edited)
Starting from nothing??

generator 5000 W minimum and fuel to run it for a week
(hint/tip, every vehicle in your drive is a 20+gal storage container)
Not counting what's in 5gal cans in the pole barn, there's 75 gal of gas give or take, in my drive on any given day...6ft of syphon hose is all I need to get to it

kero or other fuel convection heater ( convection type doesn't require electric )

food and water for a week or two

a month's script worth of meds if health depends on it

flash lights, batteries, candles, Bic lighters, good first aid kit, toilet paper and Parcheesi board

..L.T.A.

#17 ·
^^^^^^

You know, he's right.

------

FWIW, the OP's member status appears to have changed, although not due to this thread ....

#19 ·
With $1500, I'd get a good 9mm and ammo, make up a complete bug out bag, get in shape and prepare mentally by studying and planning for different scenarios as much as I could, that are specific to where I am and my current situation.
Then over time I'd fill in with water, food and gear as my budget permits. Like others have said, we're in the middle of it happening right now. It's the frog in the water thing.
It's a way of life, not a one time thing.

#20 ·
Own or rent?
What kind of transportation do you have?
What disasters are likely in your area?

I understand limited income could be due to retirement or disability, so I won't go there.

My minimums:

First aid kit--make your own.

Flashlights, basic hand tools (hammer, screw drivers, saw, shovel, ax, tow chain/rope etc...) battery powered radio

Groceries to last longer than a few days (sack of potatoes and a sack of onions and a sack of oranges or apples is a good start) Stock up on pasta when on sale---under $1/lb.

Four days supply of water--look for purified drinking water in gallon jugs on sale.

Camping outfit---sleeping bags, tent or tarp, good knife, cooler, Coleman stove and lantern---second hand Coleman stuff is fine.

Deck of playing cards & whiskey

Some kind of shelving or plastic storage boxes to keep it all orderly

A good handgun with 300 rds of fresh ammo & three magazines or speed loaders, and/or a shotgun and some buck shot.

#22 · (Edited)
The Comments by Steviesterno are spot on......TRS too.

Something to keep in mind when it comes to building up an Emergency Supply on a budget.

First off, HAVE a BUDGET.

It amazes me how many people don't have one.

But I always subscribed to the Buy two, use one & save one method.

Ammo? Buy two boxes. Shoot one, save one. When you're down to the "one", then you buy two more. When you're down to two, you buy two more. When you're down to three, you buy two more. You do this until you have what you consider a "Supply". Then you maintain the supply and rotate stock.

This method works no matter the item. Ramen Noodles, Canned Goods, anything that is "Consumable"

But $1,500? Assuming that's for one person.....and that you already have a firearm or two

Backpack
A Lifestraw
First Aid Kit
Bandana's (6)
Extra Set of Clothes including pants, shirt, undies, two pairs socks, belt shoes and in cold weather months, insulated bib overalls, Coat, stocking hat, gloves, & rubber boots
2 towels
4 washcloths
Bag of Clothespins

One box ammo for each firearm
Firearm Cleaning Kit
Bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil
Tube of Super Lube

Can Opener ( I keep packs of p-38 openers at the house and have one in each vehicle)
1 "Church Key" Bottle/Can Opener
A case (24) of Canned Ravioli
A case (24) of Canned Red Beans & Rice
A case (24) of Corned Beef Hash
A case (24) 12 oz cans V-8
4 cases Spam
A Case (24) Canned Chicken
4 cases Ramen Noodles (Beef, Chicken, Creamed Chicken & Pork)
3 large cans coffee ( I keep Cains as they're still steel cans) Those cans can be used to keep flour, sugar, etc or can be used to cook in or make a small stove. Learned how in Boy Scouts
1 large can Hot Chocolate
4 48oz Jars JIF Peanut Butter
4 Qt Jars Strawberry Jelly
5 lbs Bisquick (Can make pancakes or biscuits very easy)
1 large bottle Chipotle Tobasco
1 large bottle Tobacsco
1 case bottled water
12 gallons (1 gal each) Potable Water (Mine runs through our Reverse Osmosis Water System before I jug it up. I switch it out once a year)
1 stainless coffee cup
1 stainless drinking cup
1 coffee pot (percolator)
1 mess kit (per person)
2 boxes Blue Tip Strike Anywhere Matches
1 box qt size ziplock bags
1 box gallon sized ziplock bags
1 box 13 gallon kitchen trash bags
1 box 55 gallon trash bags
1 roll duct tape
1 roll electric tape
8 bars Ivory Soap
36 pack TP
Bottle of Imodium
Bottle of Benedryl
Bottle of Ibuprofen or other NSAID
4 bottles Peroxide
4 bottles 70% Alcohol
2 gallons Bleach.

2 100 lb Propane Bottles
1 Radiant Propane heater
1 Unleaded Coleman Gas Lantern w/multiple extra mantles (Light, heat and cooking source)
2 Gal. Stabil'd Unleaded Gasoline

1 Shovel
1 Rake
1 Hoe
1 Axe
1 Bow Saw
1 Sledge Hammer
1 Claw Hammer
1 Skinning knife
1 machete/bolo
Pocket knife

LED Crank Lights or LED Flashlights with extra batteries
Sleeping bag
6 multi use tarps
1000' Parachute Shroud line

I'm pretty sure I could take $1,500 and with some judicious shopping, buy all of the above.

But a lot of it, clothes and such is probably already on hand. It's a matter of setting aside some of it as a "SHTF" Supply and then rotating your stock through.

So if you're really living on a budget, you already know how to do some of this. It's just a matter of prioritizing.

For example, when it comes to budgeting, how many people realize how much money they have going out every month in Internet/TV/Smart Phone payments? Or that Starbucks every morning? I can brew a lot of cups of coffee at home for a fraction of what Starbucks charges. And my morning coffee is enjoyed from a cup that a buddy gave me 35 years ago for being best man at his wedding.

Attachments

#23 ·
$1500 would get you into a few really good training classes. Take a good course on outdoor field first aid. Take a good survival course for your region on outdoor region. Every area has a few folks that are well regarded in survival and learning how to survive in upstate N.Y is far different than New Mexico.

Be real about it. All the preps and generators in the world won't do much if the river rises and there is flooding. Everybody thinks they are going to kill a deer. During the depression there weren't many deer left, why we have game controls now. Learn to kill, skin and eat rabbits and squirrels and what is out there as far as plants go and how you can supplement with preps.

As has been said above, several times - WATER. Water has to be potable. This should be #1 wherever you are.

For many, many people, it is just a couple days without electricity and water before desperation will set in. Look at New Orleans. It isn't if a large earthquake is going to happen in So-Cal, it is when. Try a full week without power in Phoenix in July. No groceries, no water, no drugstores and watch what happens. You can't pump gas to flee if the pumps aren't running - well you can, but that is another topic for a different day.

#24 ·
Excluding for hygiene purposes (and we really shouldn't do that), I wonder what an average-healthy and active human being requires in the way of a minimum amount of water/day. Even if one has a "fresh water source", there are likely organisms in it that cannot be removed by boiling OR halazone.

How would one test for toxins?

#25 ·
#27 · (Edited)
Old thread, but I'll reopen it.
Since I live in what is essentially a desert (our city has a river running through it, but it's usually dry), water is the most important thing. If power goes out, the city will be unihabitable in a short time. No power for the water pumps and air conditioning. Things will be slightly better in the winter.
I just picked up 3 50 gallon and 3 5 gallon water barrels for $50. 150 gallons isn't much. But it's just me, my son, and 2 dogs.
I have a small garden that I play with. Just as an experiment, I planted some leftover Thanksgiving Yukon Gold potatoes that were starting to sprout. Small plot of about 4x8'. Gave me over 12 qts of smallish potatoes, perfect for canning and storing.
When ever there's a meat sale I get meat and do something with it. London Broil becomes beef jerky. Chuck roast/steak gets canned as chunks, or canned with potatoes and carrots to make ready to eat stew.
I've also canned chicken and salmon. All is purchased on sale. Canning jars are reusable.
So, if one is careful, one can make $1500 go a very long way.

#28 ·
If I were you Sailorman.

In your circumstances with regard to water. If I had the time and the wherewithal to do so. I might try to play around with some kind of Solar still. I have seen drawings of very basic rigs requiring very little investment that will produce a small amount of water over time, even in an arid region. Something to think about.

#29 ·
I like the generally thoughtful, helpful, respectful comments in this thread, so I will try to add my own.

Situation: Wife and me, both about 60, and three dogs, suburban home near a fresh water lake. So the plan is shelter in place and defend as necessary.

WATER: Have storage and purification (chemical and filtering), so the lake is the last resort source, but a pretty easy and workable solution. Good.

SHELTER: Staying in the house.

POWER: Have a 5000 watt portable generator - gasoline. Really should buy the Natural Gas conversion, since the house has piped in natural gas and I could use that until it failed, then go back to gasoline (from the truck, the suv, and the storage jugs).

PROTECTION: Good enough relations with a neighbor or two (and they have little kids) that I'd share food-water-power if they shared security duty. But even if they decided to leave, my wife and I could take turns (and remember - three dogs are a pretty good alarm system). Arms and ammo are plentiful.

BARTER: Have some gold, silver, platinum in the safe. Arms and ammo.

FOOD: The weakest link. The wife and I won't be bugging out or anything, so physical activity won't be high. And frankly, we could both use to lose "a few" pounds. The generator is used sparingly to run the refrigerator, so perishable food is consumed first - figure a week? Then the pantry - canned soups, veggies, meat, bread mixes - another week easy. Those mostly need cooking - have three or four propane bottles, all full, and a propane grill (but again, if the natural gas is still online, the normal gas stove / oven is the preferred method). After those two weeks, I have two cases of C-Rations - so that's another three weeks. I may buy another case or two next time I see them on sale (any suggested sources ?)

Figure I'm set for 5 weeks, but 8 weeks would be pretty easy (and I'd lose 30 lbs).

Bartering away arms - ammo - bullion would have to get me another 4 weeks (and could get me food / fuel for maybe a year - I'm not sure what the exchange rates / values during societal breakdown would be......).

Any crisis longer than that - I do not have land (except the small yard) so farming is not an option. I do have a relative with a bunch of land, though - so at the ~2-4 week point, maybe going there would be the best bet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.