1911Forum banner

Emergency solar power

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  USMM guy 
#1 ·
Is anyone in here using solar power even a small set up?

For short term lighting,Radio or small appliances in case of an emergency
one 200 watt solar panel and one battery can get you by.
If you have any sunlight.

I can put together a small set up on a budget for around $250
That and with the use of 12 volt led light bulbs you can can have
lights all night or run a radio.

As for a battery you can use a car battery in a pinch.
Even just a little power can be a heck of a comfort in a black out

#3 · (Edited)
Mine is a bit more permanent. I use it to run my greenhouse. It powers a fan, lights and several outlets for power tools. Cost a bit more than $250, but its self sustaining in that it always has power/stays charged regardless of the load I have put on it to date.

It has 2 x 165 watt panels. a 3K Pure Sin wave and 3 x AGM batteries at 100 AH a piece and an 85 amp charge controller.

Attachments

#6 ·
Panels about $175 each
Batteries I got on super sale from walmart.com for $150 each (Normally $285)
The hidden cost is the inverter. I was gonna buy a regular inverter and then a smaller Pure Sin wave, but the 3k was cheaper than the two smaller ones at about $500. I paid about $100 for the charge controller and another $150 in wire, connectors and some tools.

Just under $2k.

#7 · (Edited)
Portable Ham Radio Station during field day 2018. Suakoi 40 watt and (3) 12 watt power film folding panels. Combined with a AA/AAA battery charger with some Eneloop rechargeable batteries and you are good to go. This set up also uses a 12V lap top for Ham Radio email. Ditch the usb panels and get one that runs 12v. You can always step it down for usb devices.

#8 ·
I would submit.

That in a true "emergency" Then electrical power is a luxury.

Just sayin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.