1911Forum banner

SHTF dedicated “combat” knife?

33K views 129 replies 70 participants last post by  M-Peltier 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a random question for y’all. Say there’s a break down of society as we know it. Say it goes long term. You’ll be using blades frequently for a lot of the survival related tasks we practice now. Would you have a “dedicated” combat knife that you didn’t use for other tasks? Obviously, any blade can be pressed into any role and a lot of “tactical” knives have features that make it less then idea for bush related tasks. That’s besides the point. Would your daily carry fixed blade be a utility/combat knife? Would you have a different one you carried to leave the combat one as sharp as possible? I know most modern soldiers use their knives mostly for utility, anyway. Am I over thinking it? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

#41 · (Edited)
I don't know what SHTF really means, but I know that one of my favorite Battalion Commanders was a Platoon Leader in Vietnam who's Company was over run. He was a huge fan of "standoff" with every weapon, but especially when out of ammo. More than any other unit I was in, we trained fighting with fixed bayonets and E Tools. He made us sharpen one side of our E-Tools. Caused a shxxstorm at CIF.

In defensive positions unit SOP was E-Tool lay extended within easy access. I would rather be armed with an E-Tool, than a knife in an all out fight especially if out numbered. I would always rather carry more ammo than a fighting knife on my belt/kit.

I agree with others and am in the Hatchet / Tomahawk fan club. At times I carried a full steel shank hatchet on my Ruck, I kept it slid behind / under an external pouch... it was not meant to be accessed quickly. Stowed to keep the Ruck streamlined. I used it more as a hammer then a chopper. Most everyone I know carried extra ammo on kit or belt. No big Rambo knives...little knives for cutting - not for fighting.

I really like those Hawks pictured above. Very nice. Mine was very "Old School"... East Wing blue handle.

#40 ·
Yeah. I had a Filipinio Bolo from back in the day. It was made with a truck or jeep spring, caribou handle and brass pommel. You could make a fire, a lean to, harvest banana's, crack a coconut. I've got a cheaper version of it now, but I wish I still had that old Filipino Bolo.

#43 ·
+1 What KURUSU said (Olá, mais uma vez, meu amigo!)

Many years ago I had a Beckman BK-7 recommended to me. I've used it extensively for many chores over the years and I'm very pleased with its utility, durability, and adaptability. It's probably not OPTIMAL for a knife fight, but it's the first one I'd reach for, if it came down to that.

I bought a bayonet for my M1A, with which I am less familiar as a GP knife, but I'm betting it'd do everything I could reasonably require of it, in any scenario. I also bought a bayonet for my Vz24 Mauser, which is a little bit long for a general purpose knife, but would certainly work in or out of a fight. If your defensive rifle has a bayonet lug, your best first move would likely be to obtain a bayonet that fits it. It is doubtful one will ever NEED to use one on the end of a rifle, but they tend to make pretty satisfactory companion knives for other purposes.

#44 ·
if you are looking for an all purpose do everything knife a good quality K-Bar will serve you well.

You would also be served well by having a good small fixed blade like a Benchmade BushCraft or a Boker Savanna, and then having a small hatchet in your pack.

Having a few different options is a good thing, and you can select from your inventory based on the situation.

#49 ·
Many of us own multiple quality knives. Fixed, folding or switch blade. There are big ones, small ones, Bowie’s, ivory handled, Randall’s, dive knives, survival knives but no one mentioned another I always keep in the truck...a sacrificial medium fixed hunting knife. It’s sharp, cheap and I’m willing to damage or destroy it as a tool if needed or leave it behind if necessary. You can pick these things up for under $20 all day long. Sure this is only if I had the opportunity to make the choice. Think tool, not weapon.

#55 ·
Depends on how good you are with the spear and how you use it. If I get inside your defensive area on the spear, you will lose. Study your history and the development of weaponry if you question that. But we digress. The question was about whether or not to have a dedicated fighting knife, and we obviously don't have the same opinion on that, which is fine.

#68 ·
I had a friend who was a SEAL in Vietnam, he was Corpman for his unit. He carried a Western W49 and a 22oz True-Temper hand-ax.

Not having to lug a combat load, I like a traditional hammer polled 'hawk and a fixed blade. And a .45 Commander! Single fixed blade options would be a Becker BK-4 Machax, a Livesay RTAK, custom 8" DeLeon bowie, Becker BK-5. I'm not a collector, so one of my favorite users is the SOG S-1 bowie. The SOG is really a decent using knife, a little thick, but plenty tough. Made in Japan by Hattori. I'd put it up against a 6" Randall Model 1.

#72 ·
I don't believe ANY knife is single purpose. But as an all around survival, camp, fighting knife, I love my Extremaratio Harpoon.

#74 ·
I reckon this Randall model one 8" APFK.

That showed up in the mail today. I guess that it will do.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.