1911Forum banner

HAMs of the Forum?

11K views 61 replies 42 participants last post by  marlin39a 
#1 ·
I have a feeling this will be a resounding "yes," but are any other amateur radio folks out here?

I was minted with my Technician license back in the summer of 2016, mostly at the goading of one of my CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) buddies, who is a full-on HAM-radio freak. He's moved on to his General-class license, I believe, and is a true gear-guy when it comes to all things radio.

I've been much more casual in my HAM involvement, participating in the occasional local Net just to confirm my ability to communicate, etc.

It's one of those things - the licensing, what gear I have, etc. - that I have that I realize I'm not putting to anywhere near its potential, particulary with regard to preparation for a potential emergency situation.

#10 ·
Quite the station there, diedeldr!

I've been licensed since 1994. Started as a Tech, quickly upgraded to tech + and then the old 13wpm General. Never went past that. Haven't been very active for the last ten years or so, but still keep a minimal HF/VHF/UHF station set up and ready to go.

Enjoyed working MARS and amateur traffic nets back in the '90s, but not much need for that these days... did some contesting for a few years and really enjoyed that, especially RTTY and some of the other digital modes.

73 de W5MEJ

#15 ·
Early 90's KE6RIF, mostly 2M associated with SARS. Lived at 6250 ft. in SOCal didn't need much of an antenna! :)

All the best in 2018,

#19 ·
This is something in which I need to become more involved. If state-of-the-art tech fails or is interdicted, the HAMs may have their hands full!

Not to jack the thread, but what can be done to protect radio equipment from the efx of a large Electro-Magnetic-Pulse? I've heard that they can be stored in containers which act like "Faraday Cages", but I also gather that, if they are protected, they can not be in use, and if they are in use, they cannot be protected.

Since I don't REALLY know enough about this to articulate what I don't REALLY know about this, all input is appreciated.

#29 ·
I suppose that ideally, one would put their radio gear and electronics in a metal container to serve as a faraday cage. But most radios have a metal case to them already. I think that if you simply had them disconnected from everything then the radios would come through a EMP just fine. It is the high voltage surges and pulses coming in on the antennas, power lines, microphone cables, and speaker wires that would be the high risk points.

Most cars use a metal body and frame still, so a EMP pulse would not likely kill the electronics inside the car either. Airplanes tend to survive lightning strikes in the air fairly well. Cars may survive a lightning hit too, but it may cause pitting, gouging etc. Plus people sometimes get trapped in a car when the live power lines drop down onto them too. So the EMP causing a world catastrophe may not be all it is cracked up to be.

#20 ·
Use a metal work bench with bulk head antenna connectors and power pole connections located on the bottom. The antenna is connected and disconnected via an antenna switch with center ground position. The radio is then accessed by a fold down metal lid which when closed creates a faraday cage. when open the lid folds back out of the way allowing use of the radio. This lid can also be locked in the closed position via a hasp. This allows easy access when in use and easy emp/theft protection when closed.

#21 ·
I've been a ham since 2003 (KI4DXX). I upgraded to a General in early 2013. In late 2013, I moved to my farm in SC TN.

I just looked up the list of hams for my zip code: There's about 2 dozen +/-. About half of them are either canceled or expired. I haven't keyed a mike in 4 years....... :(

#25 ·
I first got my ticket in the late 80's as a 5 wpm Tech and then a no-code General class as N4YOY, which I ended up letting expire. Then 4 or 5 years ago my Son and I both passed our Technician and General tests and he became N4KCW, and after I passed Extra Class was given my current call of KV4VE. My favorite mode is QRP. I haven't been on the air in a year or so now, but have been slowly getting my gear set back up in the spare bedroom.

#26 ·
I have a Citizens Band license from the 1970s in my document folder. KBDB-8874.

Oddly, some googling around says the fourth character is supposed to be numeric, but it's definitely a "B" and not an "8". It was probably one of the last licenses they issued before they quit bothering.

The radio might still be in one of the boxes-O-stuff that I've been meaning to throw away. Probably near some equally-vintage car stereo bits. Hey, I bet that junk would be "collectible" on eBay!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.