1911Forum banner

Sig C3 - Reliability / Value?

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Trikegodtroll 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I know that the best way to get a true opinion of a gun is to hold it and fire it myself, but none of the LGS' in my area seem to have a Sig C3 in stock currently. I have a Para Expert which has been flawless and reliable and I love the gun. However, I have an opportunity to get a Sig C3 at a great price (less than $700 new) and besides thinking it's gorgeous, I think it would also be better for conceal and carry than my Para. I've looked at MANY reviews and people are so divided as to its reliability and Sig's customer service (which surprised me) that I thought I would turn to a group of people who I trust a little more than random reviews on Sig's forum and elsewhere on the web. What say ye? Would this be too much of a gamble, ditching the sure thing for the unknown? What is your experience either with the C3 or Sig's customer service?

Thanks!

Miche

#2 ·
I have a Sig RCS, a C3 that went thru the custom shop to round off all the edges to make it a better carry gun. Have about 1500 rounds thru it and have changed the recoil spring once I hit the 1000 round make. Gun is a great shooter with no problems other than the ejector coming loose.

The roll pin that holds it in loosened up and needed to be changed. No problem other than that, new roll pin and all is well.

Holsters can be a bit of a problem due to the Sig squared off slides, but there are a few holster makers that make them.

#6 ·
I have a C3 and really like it. I actually had a couple issues with it when new and Sig was pretty good about quickly fixing it. (I reported it here on the forum. Search my name for the thread.) I guess I'm not a 1911 "purist"- I kind of like the sig-style slide. It's like an homage to themselves in my opinion. Makes their 1911 resemble their P-Series which are pretty well regarded guns. Other than the shape of the slide and external extractor they are all-1911. External extractor doesn't bother me either as long as reliability is there and so far it is. If you read my thread you'll see that the issues I did have were not reliability or accuracy. The compact grip and commander-length slide balance nicely for me, and I think the gun's pretty 'handsome' and well-put together (early issues aside). Front strap checkering is nicely done, I like their thumb-safety, the finish is really nice both the black, anodized frame and bead-blasted, ss slide. Grips, sites and trigger all work well for me, too.

$700 is a great price. If I recall correctly I paid $800 for mine.

#11 ·
Raven;
I've had no issues since getting it back. They sent me the stainless extractor with a new pin and spring but I haven't bothered to swap it out yet. I will get to it eventually. I do prfer the look with the stainless extractor but I don't have the correct size punch and haven't bothered to get one yet.

#8 ·
I have a GSR Compact SS which(I believe) is basically the steel frame version of the C3. I have 10k rounds through it with all original parts. (Just replaced the recoil spring; should be done every 1500 rounds. Shame on me!) I had one issue at around 700 rounds and I sent it to Sig and had it back in 7 days! Keep in mind that this was before the uptick in gun sales. They may not be as speedy now, but they still seem to have good CS. I actually use my Sig as my carry weapon and have no reason not to trust it with my life.

#14 ·
Update: I had another deal presented to me that I couldn't refuse. In a week I will be the proud (?) owner of a Sig Fastback Nightmare Carry. I had a chance to handle it, the RCS and the C3. I loved them all, but the deal I was given for the Nightmare got me, plus the very first 1911 that caught my eye was the S&W 1911SC. I love the round butt frame and the Commander length. This is $300 cheaper than the 1911SC and I expect that it will nicely acquit itself. LOL I'll post pics when I bring it home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.