1911Forum banner

Wood stocks??

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  1911crazy 
#1 ·
I’m getting ready to restore a wood stock. I prepped the outside with 0000 steel wool to remove anything on the wood to smooth it out. Now I stained it with Behlen solar lux stain. My question is why isn’t the inside of the wood stocks isn’t sealed too? For a wood stock on a hunting rifle shouldn’t the inside of the stock be sealed too? I normally seal the outside with ten coats of tung oil. They say the wood swells when hunting in the rain? Wouldn’t sealing the wood prevent swelling?

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. I always wondered why the inside of the wood stock was never sealed.

#5 ·
Target stock "bedding"

Why not follow the trend in using epoxy to "bed the action"? I think Brownell's has a technical "how to" on the web site as well as video and of course they sell the stuff to do it.

Solves the moisture issue and improves accuracy!

Winner-winner....

Smiles,

#4 ·
Saving money. Manufacturers would spend time making the outside look beautiful but they never bothered to finish or seal the inletted portions where nobody looked anyway. You honestly don't need to put much time into finishing the interior of the stock, but at least put something there just to close up the pores.

#7 ·
Wood needs to breathe. All finished gun stock wood has a certain moisture content. If ya seal it up tight , the stock can move/warp and the finish might lift and bubble in the worst places in climate/temp changes a hunting rifle might expect to go thru. Not much of a problem with natural finishes like linseed or Tung oil , but with synthetics like polyurethane , , , ,

#8 ·
I’m using tung oil. I have about ten thin coats of tung oil. I want the stock to be moisture proof.

#10 · (Edited)
I picked up a unmarked, no stamps, m14 stock that was probably ejected because of its looks. I stained it with Behlens solar lux stain in wheat color. I put on over ten coats of tung oil to seal the moisture out. I figure it’s a good replacing hunting stock for a M1a/m14. I figure I wouldn’t take my perfect M1a/m14 stock in the woods hunting. Switch stocks when hunting.?

I never liked those black plastic gun stocks but for hunting they make sense to me. But a gun isn’t a gun unless it has a real wood stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.