recoil spring LW Commander? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-16-2016, 12:14 PM

recoil spring LW Commander?

Just talked to Ruger customer service and was told the recoil spring in the LW commander was 16lbs and the gov. model was 18 LBS? is it me or is that backwards I always thought the 16 lbs was gov model and the 18-20 lbs was commander models WTH?
Old 12-16-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2robert View Post
Just talked to Ruger customer service and was told the recoil spring in the LW commander was 16lbs and the gov. model was 18 LBS? is it me or is that backwards I always thought the 16 lbs was gov model and the 18-20 lbs was commander models WTH?
yeah, I've heard the same thing from Ruger. I have the full steel commander and they said the same thing.Standard weight recoil spring for a commander is 18 lbs... not sure why the commander is under sprung and the govt over sprung
Old 12-16-2016, 12:49 PM

I know right just don't understand what the reversal is all about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 02:20 PM

On the shopruger.com website they have the SR1911 recoil spring and say it is 18lb. If you look at Wolffs site then that would be considered and extra power for a Colt 1911 in 45ACP and Colt puts 18lb springs in its Commanders that still have one spring. So 16 lb would be considered a reduced power spring in a Colt Commander in .45ACP. As to why I have not heard an official reason as to why.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:56 PM

CS told me that the 18LBS recoil spring was the most popular and that why it on shopruger.com she said it had nothing to do with which gun it was for?
Old 12-16-2016, 02:57 PM

Maybe Ruger decided to slow down the slide velocity on their Commanders by using a heavier mainspring instead of a heavier recoil spring. Ask them. The recoil spring has much less effect on rear slide speed than the spring under the hammer. The mainspring absorbs considerably more energy.

Last edited by drail; 12-16-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:26 PM

I did ask CS (Ruger)what weight is their mainspring? CS said they will not "release the weight on the hammer or any other part sorry for the inconvenience this may cause"
Old 12-16-2016, 08:16 PM

This is my take on the LW Commander the 16# recoil spring is 4 1/2" (shortest 16# I ever seen) I think they use a stronger hammer spring and could go with a lighter and weaker Recoil spring to keep it from stacking and less wear on the alum. frame. the 16# WC recoil spring I have is 5 3/4" long (316G kit) this was bought for a 5"Gov. 1 more thing does cutting down a recoil spring change it's poundage
Old 12-30-2016, 03:26 PM

I have been trying to order replacement recoil springs for my SR1911 9m LW CMD too, and the shopruger.com website does NOT specify specific springs for the full size or CMD size pistols, nor does it differentiate on spring weights for the .45 or 9mm versions. I'm a bit frustrated; I just want to replace my recoil spring as I am approaching 1,500 rounds with the gun. I sent an email to Ruger this afternoon asking for assistance. I will report back what answer I get as to how to order the correct springs.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druryj View Post
I have been trying to order replacement recoil springs for my SR1911 9m LW CMD too, and the shopruger.com website does NOT specify specific springs for the full size or CMD size pistols, nor does it differentiate on spring weights for the .45 or 9mm versions. I'm a bit frustrated; I just want to replace my recoil spring as I am approaching 1,500 rounds with the gun. I sent an email to Ruger this afternoon asking for assistance. I will report back what answer I get as to how to order the correct springs.
not sure what the 9mm one is. just call in and ask, then pick up the appropriate spring from wolff or WC and call it a day
Old 02-11-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I read somewhere that Ruger 1911 Commanders use a lighter recoil spring and a heavier mainspring. My CMD's mainspring (hammer) is really stiff. Much more so than any of my other 1911s. Reason was that the firing pin spring is heavier for the titanium firing pin to make the pistol drop safe. My CMD is really difficult to rack the slide with the hammer down.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Brownell's and Wolff Gunsprings list 16# for the Government Model and 18# for the Commander. When the Ruger SR1911 was introduced it was reviewed by Walt Kuleck who pointed out that it came with an 18# recoil spring. One of the first things he did was replace it with a standard 16# spring. I put 16# springs in my SR1911's and they run great.