1911Forum banner

My First STI ~ DVC Limited 9mm

5K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Rwehavinfunyet 
#1 · (Edited)
While I am not new to the forum, I am new to this particular section of the forum. Most of my threads have been limited to the Range Reports, Dan Wesson and Wilson Combat sections of the forum. But after spending the entire day shooting steel two weeks ago, with my fingers numb and sore from reloading 9-round 1911 9mm magazines all day, I decided it was necessary to up my mag capacity for this particular activity. I already have a couple of more days booked at the range to play and needed to figure out how to remedy this problem before my next visit. It seemed to me a 2011 made the most sense because of my familiarity with the 1911 platform. When I think of 2011s, I think STI.

Last week I found a nice deal on a very lightly used STI DVC Limited in 9mm with four mags. I picked it up two days ago and shot it yesterday for the first time. The first thing I noticed, my Wilson Combat Carry Comp, my daily carry gun and the gun I used most on my all day steel shooting day, has noticeably less recoil than the STI regardless of load used. There is no question about that. The only load where it is even close is with the Syntech 150gr Action Pistol round; which the STI absolutely loves. But it is still not truly close in terms of recoil. The Carry Comp with the same load feels like a 22lr, the STI feels like a 22mag.

I will write more about the DVC L as I spend more time with it, but overall the STI shoots VERY nicely :) The trigger on the STI is insane. It is somewhere between 2 lbs ~ 2.5 lbs; and it is perfect. While my DVC is not my lightest recoiling 1911 type pistol, it is definitely second among my collection, and an absolute joy to shoot. It feels great in my hand, points and handles beautifully. Next time I shoot steel, this is the gun I will use most, because loading 9 round mags all day for my Wilson Carry Comp is simply not fun! Gotta love 20+ round mags that are quick and easy to load. I suspect because of the lighter recoil, I will make quicker follow-up shots with the Carry Comp, but we will see!

Here are some groups from my outing yesterday.

When I first got to the range, I loaded up 21 rounds of Magtech 124gr and emptied the mag into the target.

My First Mag Through the STI DVC

Typical Groups Inside 10 Yards

It Absolutely LOVES the Mild Recoiling Syntech 150gr Action Pistol Rounds

A Little Distance. Those Three Hits Dead Center were My First 3 shots On The Target!

Glamour Shots!

Cannot wait to get back to the range and churn a few hundred more rounds through the DVC!

See less See more
#10 ·
The comp on your Wilson combat assists a bit in shooting softer feeling

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Very well aware how and why the Carry Comp shoots softer. I had hoped the light slide and light recoil spring on the DVC L would have dampened recoil a bit more than it does. My point in mentioning it, is that it is mild, but not Carry Comp mild.

Comparing the DVC and Wilson Carry Comp is indeed an apples to oranges comparison; carry gun vs a competition gun. Really no point in comparing straight across the board. I actually made that point on the Wilson forum when someone asked me to compare the two.

So all on the same page here.

I would love to shoot the DVC Professional :)

#5 ·
Great guns, so smooth and easy shooting, I had to buy both calibers. There's something different about them, the recoil is so soft and the slide feels like it's in slow motion, it just glides back and forth instead of slamming back. I've noticed the same with the 3-gun and Combat master.
Well congratulations, I'm sure you're going to love it.

Attachments

#6 ·
Harrish,

Thanks for your report. I always enjoy reading them and am impressed with your shooting.

As for sore fingers:

I have shot .45 1911's for 25 years. The mags were always easy to load so I stubbornly refused to invest in one of those stupid magazine loaders. A couple of years ago I bought a 9 mm Valkyrie Commander. (Probably about the same time you purchased yours.) The DW mags that came with it, as well as the Tripps I bought as extras, were difficult to load so I finally broke down and bought a Uplula (by Maglula) magazine loader.

I haven't looked back since. Use it for 9mm and .45. Should have done it years ago. From what I understand there are some inferior knock-offs out there so you want to make sure you get a genuine Uplula. Their website lists authorized dealers. I think I got mine through Brownells.

#7 ·
Harrish,
I finally broke down and bought a Uplula (by Maglula) magazine loader.

I haven't looked back since. Use it for 9mm and .45. Should have done it years ago. From what I understand there are some inferior knock-offs out there so you want to make sure you get a genuine Uplula. Their website lists authorized dealers. I think I got mine through Brownells.
I wholeheartedly second the Uplula, I've seen these for years and after 40 years of loading by hand I wondered why any body would want one. Then a couple of years ago I was standing in the freezing cold and loading magazines was killing me. I got one and use it for every pistol I have. I think I did have to file a spot on it to keep it from catching on some of my STI mags though.

#15 ·
I’m a STI collector.... I just picked up a DVC-Limited Island Barrel Blackout version. The DVC-L’s sure are sweet shooters.

Not sure where you are located but if you’re ever near Houston let me know and I’ll let you shoot some comped 2011’s to see how they compare to your WC carry comp.

#19 ·
Looks killer in all Black.

I'm pretty sure this won't be my last STI 2011. I know they are discontinuing the DVC, and going forward with the Staccato. Very curious to see how things develop. I suspect my next STI will have a built in comp like the Professional. It may just wind up being a DVC Professional altogether anyway :)

#20 · (Edited)
I made it out for a second range trip with the DVC L. I have run 8 different brands/types of 9mm ammo through it so far. I found the load this gun LOVES. Not only does my DVC L shoot the Magtech 124gr accurately, the way it handles the recoil and sets me up for the next shot is just perfect. I couldn't ask for a better pairing of gun and ammo.

I was felling a little frisky yesterday and shot all my groups at 10 yards ;)

My STI DVC L handles the Magtech 124gr FMJ Very Nicely

I was very happy to see my DVC L likes my current self-defense load too...Federal Syntech 138gr Defense
I rattled myself after the first 4 shots, I wish I could just shut my mind off whenever I want to!

#21 ·
STI 2011 guns....

I am only interested in shooting accurate guns.....so I always test my guns for accuracy with various ammo and bullets. I set the target out at roughly 25 yards, and use a sandbag rest to test the ammo for accuracy and functional reliability in that gun. Once I have found accurate ammo, I use that for my range plinking and local pistol shooting matches...…

Since I build my own STI 2011 guns, I purchase good barrels, and get very good accuracy results. From a rest at 25 yards and using iron sights, my ammo will usually allow 2" or slightly less 5-shot groups measured center to center for the five shots.... this is OK for action pistol sports, but not good enough for precision pistol sports where 50 yard targets are used.... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.