1911Forum banner

Dawson Tool-Less Guide Rod

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  kimberguy2004 
#1 · (Edited)
Just received and installed the new Dawson Precision Tool-Less Guide Rod in my Staccato P:

https://dawsonprecision.com/guiderod-sti-4-15-bull-barrel-tool-less-by-dawson-precision/

Of course, it will need a full function test at the range asap. But my initial opinion is this guide rod is a welcomed modification and awesome product! Polished smooth as glass, and includes a proprietary 13# spring. The ease of take down vs the stock STI retention tool makes disassembly of the top end so much easier!

Couple of days after my purchase, I decided to call Dawson for some detailed info concerning the spring weight, etc, as I was concerned why it used a proprietary spring vs a regular Commander spring. Got handed off to Dave himself and he asked me to share this info:

With regards to the new Tool-Less guide rod for the Staccato P, and other models,
Designed to fit STI Tactical 4.0, Ranger II, Ranger III, Tactical SS 4.0, Spartan IV, and Staccato P.
it starts out as a Commander length 13# spring but has to be shortened since the Stac P and others utilize a 4.15" barrel length vs a Commander's 4.25" length. This spring will work with all SAAMI spec commercial ammo. Recommended replacement is 3,000 rounds in a competition gun; and 5,000 rounds for a range gun.

Wolff is manufacturing these springs exclusively for Dawson, and they will be offering a 3-pack of the standard springs along with a 3-pack of different weights for those that want to tailor their springs to specific ammo/power factors. These will retail for under $10.00, and he hopes to have them up on the website today or tomorrow.

He has a new video featuring the new guide rod's features and operation. Should be on YouTube very soon.

HTHs

See less See more
#4 ·
That's a great question..........tbh, I didn't think about asking Dave since it's a new product that's dedicated to 9mm.....for now.

With Dave's enthusiasm for this product, I feel confident he won't leave the .45acp owners out in the cold.

Could be as simple as different springs; or may take an upgraded unit for the .45acp.......

Tech support will be back Friday, may be worth a call!

:rock:

#3 ·
I will get this soon. I have had my Staccato P DUO for about a month now and I love it. That being said I've never had a gun that needs a tool for disassembly and I find it to be a PITA, the retention piece of plastic seems completely ridiculous on an otherwise fantastic pistol. This will fix the only thing I don't like about the gun.

#6 ·
Funny that you mention this.........during my recent visit to STI, I was introduced to David Cupp. My understanding is that he is the Head Gunsmith in Technical Services, and is in charge of all Warranty/Return Work. I can say he is a veteran gunsmith who is great to talk with and loves to share his knowledge! While my Son and I were visiting, he offered to check our Stac Ps over while we were touring the facility. Did a complete disassembly except removing the grip.

One important tip he demonstrated was to take a light GS hammer with a rubber or nylon head, and give the right side ambi lever a few "taps". Lo and behold, the right ambi loosened right up which allowed the left lever to wiggle right out!

Both our Stac Ps had ambis that were a bear to get out. This tip made it a piece of cake!

:rock:

#9 ·
Dawson had these available a short time ago but you had to call and request one. I am glad they finally hit the mainstream market. I am also glad that the different pound springs will be available soon (one the site, but presently “unavailable”).

Now - I just have to decide if I want the Staccato-P with or without the DUO system. Likely WITH, not sure what I am waiting for lol

#13 ·
I have one of these in my Kimber Pro Carry, .45ACP and it works fine. I looked the other day and did not see it on Dawson's website, so I don't know if they are special order or have just been discontinued for some reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.