1911Forum banner

STI lineup

6K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Doc Ed 
#1 ·
I’m planning on getting my 2011 soon from STI and am trying to maneuver the differences between my choices: Staccato-P, DVC-P, and combat master.

There’s plenty of reviews and In depth tear downs on the staccato but almost none on the DVC-P nor combat master (other than it was used in JW3).

This is going to be my splurge gun so money isn’t an issue.

I’m trying to read through the history of the STI and it seems they went through a revamp of their line up (Omni=DVCP) and they moved from tiN coatings to all DLC everything.

Can anyone help steer me to a STI guide on the line up or maybe even type up a short exposition? I’d really appreciate the guidance.

#2 · (Edited)
It might be best to state the objective for purchasing your STI 2011.

Will it be used for competition games like USPSA, or other action shooting games?

Will you plan to use it as a concealed carry gun...?

What caliber do you plan to use....?

I have various sizes and calibers of STI 2011 style guns....for specific objectives.

I have what is formerly known as an STI 2011 5" slide Eagle style gun in 9mm. I have been using this gun for many years in IDPA competition.

My EDC is an STI 2011 Commander .38 super. I carry this cocked and locked with 16+1 rounds using a 126mm flush fit mag, and carry one spare 17 round mag.

I have another STI 2011 with a full length dust cover (like the STI Edge) with two different uppers for different calibers. One is a 5" 9mm slide and 9mm barrel, and the other is a .40 cal. 5" slide with a Bar Sto 5" barrel. Both guns have iron sights....fiber optic front and adj. rear sight. I may use the STI 2011 .40 for the Limited Division, and have three .40 caliber 140mm mags.

Last but not least, I have an STI 2011 Open gun with a frame mounted C-more railway red dot optic.....this also has two uppers. One upper is an STI 5" that has been machined to allow a .38 super hybri-comp barrel, and this also has a compensator threaded on the barrel. Earlier this year I fitted an STI tru-bor .355" barrel with integral compensator in a separate slide. I chambered this for the standard 9mm round, and shoot 9mm major for USPSA, and I also shoot this for action steel matches with a lighter load. I am planning to use this for three gun matches shooting in the Unlimited Division. All of my guns used for 3-gun will have reflex optical red dot sights.....including my shotgun. :)

#6 ·
It might be best to state the objective for purchasing your STI 2011.

Will it be used for competition games like USPSA, or other action shooting games?

Will you plan to use it as a concealed carry gun...?

What caliber do you plan to use....?

I have various sizes and calibers of STI 2011 style guns....for specific objectives.

I have what is formerly known as an STI 2011 5" slide Eagle style gun in 9mm. I have been using this gun for many years in IDPA competition.

My EDC is an STI 2011 Commander .38 super. I carry this cocked and locked with 16+1 rounds using a 126mm flush fit mag, and carry one spare 17 round mag.

I have another STI 2011 with a full length dust cover (like the STI Edge) with two different uppers for different calibers. One is a 5" 9mm slide and 9mm barrel, and the other is a .40 cal. 5" slide with a Bar Sto 5" barrel. Both guns have iron sights....fiber optic front and adj. rear sight. I may use the STI 2011 .40 for the Limited Division, and have three .40 caliber 140mm mags.

Last but not least, I have an STI 2011 Open gun with a frame mounted C-more railway red dot optic.....this also has two uppers. One upper is an STI 5" that has been machined to allow a .38 super hybri-comp barrel, and this also has a compensator threaded on the barrel. Earlier this year I fitted an STI tru-bor .355" barrel with integral compensator in a separate slide. I chambered this for the standard 9mm round, and shoot 9mm major for USPSA, and I also shoot this for action steel matches with a lighter load. I am planning to use this for three gun matches shooting in the Unlimited Division. All of my guns used for 3-gun will have reflex optical red dot sights.....including my shotgun.
No competitions, I’d like to make it my new desk side home defense pistol. And it’s all going to be in 9mm. My objective would probably be filled by any of the 3 guns, I just wanted to know more about the guns before I purchased it.

Thanks for the info!

#3 ·
They have a pretty good web site.

Why not just go there?

#5 ·
Why not just go there?
I did, it’s not as descriptive as I’d hope, I should’ve made that clear in my post.

For example

Combat master: “if you want peace, prepare for war and find your win”

DVCP: “ 25 years of evolution and refinement resulted in the Omni. Nothing comes close.”

And apart from some technical specs, that was it.

When I bought my Wilson combat EDC x9, I knew exactly what I was buying based off their website and the videos that they put out: that I was buying a newly designed framed double stack 1911 style pistol that was built from the ground up to be as reliable as possible for everyday carry in addition to the nice shooting characteristics of a gun that price. They had all the little details, even describing the way they designed the profile of the extractor in a way that provides maximum purchase when when the barrel drops.

I wish I was an STI expert, but I’m trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can which is why I joined this forum.

#8 ·
I own a Combat Master. Phenomenal gun, flat-shooting, feels great in the hands. Would be challenging to carry concealed (not impossible) but it’s definitely a sweet gun with only 1,500 total units made.

I have shot an Omni in 9mm with an RMR and it is a great gun. Again, very easy to shoot with low recoil and lots of fun. Not sure how much the one-port comp REALLY helps on 9mm (a little, of course) but you cannot go wrong with it.

I have also shot a few hundred rounds through a Staccato-P in 9mm. Great gun and very smooth and accurate for a 4” gun which, if you desired, would be better for EDC. The version with the DUO is likely my next 1911/2011 purchase. Still checking on a few things first.

Bottom line: you cannot go wrong with any of them

#9 ·
If it's going to be a desk gun, then the Combat Master seems to be appropriate! It's the biggest and baddest of the lineup. I have one, and it shoots like a dream. It's my only STI, but I am seriously thinking about a Staccato-P. I think the DVC line has a little better finish. That and the slide cuts. The Staccato is a little more utilitarian. A factory rep told me they have the same fit of the components.

#10 ·
When Wilson released the EDC-X9 it was an entirely new design that has some 1911 characteristics but a new gun nonetheless. They of course want to let people know what they’re laying their cash out for.

STI isn’t reinventing the wheel (gun). All 3 models are a variations of the same 2011 platform that the have been making for 30’ish years.

No matter which one you buy you’ll be getting a great gun. The finish on the Staccato, DVC or CM are all the same DLC applied at STI inTexas. You just need to figure out what options you want which are listed on the STI site.

#11 ·
Thanks for the responses! So I’ve limited my choice to the combat master or DVC-P.

Anyone know if STI would be able to mill a DUO on the combat master? (That would make my choice a little easier)

I saw a video of someone going over the combat master, and he was going over little details Taran tactical changed on the 2011 like altering the extractor so the magazine lips don’t hit it when being inserted hard.

But then again, the DVC-P has the DUO and island sight.

#12 ·
Milling for the optic is easy, I just wouldn't do it to the combat master. I am going to pick up a 3-gun and have it milled for the Atlas optic plate in the near future. The Atlas plate also moves the sight to the rear and gets it lower in the slide.

I have the Trijicon plate on my old 5.0 Tactical and I liked it a lot more than my DVC-C DUO system, so much in fact I just bought a NON-DUO DVC-C and will be sending it out for milling once I find someone (Hopefully ATEi) to mill the slide with the new Atlas plate.

#14 ·
I can't see where deskside/bedside home defense couldn't be ably served w/ the Staccato P (or Staccato P DUO, if RDS is a requirement). It's also the easiest carried, should you eventually decide to do so. Spend the extra $$ on ammo, holsters, etc. Or, start saving for your next STI. After all, two is one...

#17 ·
From what I was told from a rep is that there weren’t so much big changes but a change in focus. A lot more attention is to be given to the Staccato line.

Some changes will be made to the DVC line in as far as how many models will be made. Guess we will see at shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
The STI rep told me the combat master is basically the exact same gun internally as the DVC Limited and 3 Gun, only difference is the slide cuts, and other embellishments to make the novelty gun for the movie. All for the extra $1000 price tag. The Stacatto P is intended for duty and carry use. The DVC limited is built to be compliant with USPSA Limited division for competing, the 3 gun is the same gun but has a tac-rail to add a weapon light

#19 ·
STI has always confused me with their lineup, every time I go to my dealer I see models that aren't on their site. I got a Staccato P Duo in 45 but I'm not sure why as I think I like my Tactical HOST and VIP better. But then the Staccato is cheaper, and way cheaper then the Combat Master but I do love that gun, just wish they made it in 45.

#21 ·
Hello,
For what you are going to do with the pistol why not get an eagle or edge for a lot less money and have a proven platform pistol for home defense.
You could pick up a good single stack for the difference in price and have a smaller profile carry gun for the difference in price of the guns you mentioned.
Tim

#22 ·
I went through the same dilemma between the staccato DUO and the DVC-P. I was able to go to one of the demo days STI put on and that sealed the deal on the DVC-P. It is the smoothest shooting gun I have shot. It's also the most I have spent on a gun. My previous was a Nighthawk GRP II Bobtail. I will be using my DVC-P for everything. Work, off duty and everything in-between.

#24 ·
Now I love my combat master, my 3-gun, my limited guns and most of all my costa's, the staccado p duo, well I guess I'm still warming up to it, maybe should have waited for the 5". But I have a problem with any ported or comped guns but it's mostly cause they are usually dirty and a pain to clean.

#25 · (Edited)
I own both a DVC-P and a Combat Master. I have another DVC-P on order (Two is one and one is none 😂 ) and have a Staccato P Duo that should arrive to my FFL next week. The DVC-P is by far the best shooting handgun I have ever owned. Splits are super fast and gun shoots super flat. The dot in the RMR stays in the screen even when shooting as fast as I can. Combat Master recoils a bit more but for me the main thing is the ability to run an optic. I don’t find the comp gets very dirty if your are shooting hollow points or total metal jacket bullets. My first 1000 or so rounds I was shooting open base bullets and there was plenty of lead/carbon deposition in the comp. After a few hundred 147 total metal jacket bullets the comp was pretty clean as there was no lead deposited in the comp given the sealed bullet base. I don’t ever clean the comp and even after a few thousand more rounds of TMJ bullets the comp is pretty clean as the fouling is self limiting.

I love my DVC-P.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.