1911Forum banner

STI 2011 Experience

5K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  SW CQB 45 
#1 ·
the-2011-experience

Who has attended one of these? The website lists dates and locations, but doesn't give a lot of actual information. I was thinking about the October 5th Dayton, OH, but it is a 4+ hour round trip. I'd like to be sure it is more than just a rep and a couple of display guns to make it worth a day.

#2 ·
the-2011-experience

Who has attended one of these? The website lists dates and locations, but doesn't give a lot of actual information. I was thinking about the October 5th Dayton, OH, but it is a 4+ hour round trip. I'd like to be sure it is more than just a rep and a couple of display guns to make it worth a day.

In for info. Dayton is right around 3hrs from Ft Knox and I’m in the market for a DVC P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I would like to know, too. I don’t mind making the drive (4 hours each way) because the opportunity to shoot STIs without buying them is a challenge (not many people around me have them).

There is one in Cuyahoga Falls (much closer!) this Saturday but I cannot make it up there.

#4 ·
I will respond later today. Tony with STI was in NC this past weekend. I will give the details. Go ahead and fill your gas tank now.

#5 ·
I went to the one at Defender Outdoors in Fort Worth a couple weeks ago. They had just about everything but a full blown open pistol available to shoot and a boatload of ammo and magazines to go with them. Shooters had to signup and give up their driver license to be handed their pistol of choice and a mag with 10 rounds of ammo. They may have let you take two pistols. Shooters just rotated through the line until they'd shot all the pistols they were interested in.

One cool thing is, when you sign in, you are entered in a raffle to win a pistol. A city cop buddy of mine didn't know that and he actually one a Stacatto C.

#6 ·
I went to one here in Minnesota. Guns were free to shoot, but had to pay for range time and ammo (brought my own). The only thing they didn’t have was a DVC-P, but the gun shop had just taken a lightly used one in on trade and they let me put 2 mags through it. If you’re going to drive a ways call ahead and make sure they will have the specific gun you want to shoot.
The DVC-P was amazing, but it’s spendy. If the price doesn’t bother you get one! I just bought a CZ TSO and it’s a wonderful shooting gun, especially for the price!
Jeff

#7 ·
Tony Pignato brought the STI roadshow to NC this past weekend to support a memorial 3-gun competition, proceeds going to gold star families. He brought a little of everything with him, and I brought my 22 year old and 16 year old daughters. We got to shoot most every pistol STI makes, including the Wick pistol. I loved that thing. My daughters did very well shooting at the steel targets and making the flappers jump from 15 yards away.

I also got to shoot something "super secret", a prototype pistol that STI will be making before long. You will want one.

#10 ·
Thanks for the info! And thanks for posting about this! I already talked to my wife and I’m going to drive out to Dayton on the 5th. Will be a decompress day for me since my wife has been traveling the last couple weeks for work and I’ve had the kiddos

#13 ·
Good event, if you can attend you should.

Had a good representation of their product line even the DVC O which was really bad a$$. I went specifically to look at the Staccato P so didn’t pay too much attention to the other guns. But there were at least 7 or 8. First mag was free. Bought a cheap box of Federal so I could get a better feel for the gun. I’ll tell you those guns get a workout!

Great trigger and accurate. Shoots nice, with manageable recoil. Walked out with a bench mat, hat and ordered the P Duo.

#16 ·
I am going to attend the Dayton event on Saturday. For those who have been to one (this is my first...) was STI there when the place opened? Were they later in the day? I realize that each event can be different but just getting an idea.

I called Shooting Point Blank and they said they had no idea and that STI has not been communicating much with them.

Of course it ALWAYS pays to be there earlier than later but trying to gauge others' experience.

Thanks!

#19 ·
Just talked to Bill, he said the even will run 10-5 and that he will stick around until 6. He said the first 5 or so rounds are free, but if you want to buy more you buy from the range.

No DVC P, but he will have Staccato C & P and some others

#22 ·
Not having anything from the DVC line is probably going to disappoint a lot of people. I have shot the “P” in 9mm but was hoping there would be one there in 45. Oh well.

The Staccatos C & P are both on my interest list, but I wanted to shoot the “P” in both nine and 45 as well. Preferably the DUO (I am bringing my SRO) but we’ll see.

#25 ·
If anyone has gone to this event and fired any STI in .45ACP, would be interested in your opinion, especially as to reliability.

#27 ·
I’m sold on the Staccato P. Def gonna be getting one. Tho o I may offload my Wilson EDC X9 for one. Felt great in hand and shot well.

The combat master’s slide felt like it was on butter is was so smooth! Nice but not my cup of tea. Will be doing the DVCP and the Staccato P in the near future

#28 ·
What caliber will you get them in?

#31 ·
Def going 9mm. I have move to that in totality. The only .45 I have left is a Colt Commander that was a military gift. I wanted my wife and I to be on the same caliber handgun since I’m buying 5.56, 300bo, 308and 6.5 in rifle rounds

#29 ·
The event went well and was not nearly as crowded as I anticipated. Pretty much got to shoot whatever and as many times as we wanted. I passed on the CM since I own one. I was mainly there for the Staccato -P & C. Was also there for an Omni or S-P in .45 but that wasn’t happening. Also, no optic-cut guns and I even brought my SRO lol

They had (all in 9mm): DVC-S, DVC Carry, Staccato-P, two Staccato-Cs, Combat Master, and DVC-L. I think that was it. I shot the S-C and it was really good, but not quite as good as my Wilson X-Tac Elite Carry (also in 9mm). I did a little side-by-side while I had the opportunity. Don’t get me wrong - the S-C is a great pistol but my WC outshot it a little bit out to 10 yards (I did not go past that). If I didn’t have this WC I would jump on the S-C, but it didn’t “wow” me enough to ditch the Wilson.

The S-P was fantastic and shot POA/POI out to the 10 yards including rapid fire. Any errors in shooting were absolutely attributed to ME, not the gun. Recoil was mild even with snappy S&B and Blazer 115gr but still easy to manage. It did “bite” a bit back in the web of the hand where the right thumb rests on the left safety (as reported online by KSGunGuy and others)...was more annoying than “painful” and I shot about 225 rounds from it. The CM cured this by rounding/finishing those sharp lines at the thumb safety/frame/beavertail/grip safety and the Staccato could take a lesson there (it’s also half the price, so...). Overall, it handled well enough that I am likely going to purchase one in DUO. Per Bill from STI who was there (who could not have been more amazing), wait time on new build is 12-16 weeks.

For me, the stand-out surprise (though it really should not have been) was the DVC-S. I do not shoot Steel or Open but figured I would give it a whirl since I was there. I have an Omni 9 with an RMR-T2, but this gun seemed to get back on target with the dot more quickly. I asked Bill from STI about it thinking it was the larger comp but he did not believe that was the case (I’m still uncertain). However, the more I thought about it the more I think that it was the fact the red dot was mounted to the FRAME, not the slide. Much less movement in the frame after the shot compared to the slide. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe it was the comp. Or a combo of both. Anyone who has more experience in this arena please chime in!

If anyone would like any more information I will provide it if I can!

#30 · (Edited)
Hmmm, it was a mistake for them not to have a gun in .45ACP--or was it?

I have no interest in any gun in Europellet caliber. I hope there are no issues w/ the upcoming P in .45ACP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.