1911Forum banner

Guardian bobtail

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  tuckerdog1 
#1 ·
Did STI ever make a single stack Guardian with a bobtail? I can't find any reference to or pictures of such a pistol.

Asking because I stopped at a local pawn shop today, and they had one. I didn't look real close, because it had a good amount of holster wear, and the slide to frame fit was a bit loose. So after a quick check, I handed it back to the clerk. The slide had the STI logo, but I did not look closely at the frame for the Georgetown TX stamping.

May go back and give it a closer inspection, but was just wondering if there really is such a pistol.

Thanks
Tuckerdog1

#4 ·
Okay, I found a pic of the actual pistol. The pawn shop has it posted for sale online. It does have a stamp that says Georgetown TX. However, that looks like it's stamped on top of more text that appears to say South Korea?????

Sorry it's upside down. Can get it corrected on my PC, but posts as the seller had it.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
That gun throws up a flag for me. All STIs with the exception of the Spartan and a short lived striker import were made in Georgetown, TX. The Slides and frames for the Spartan were made in South Korea. The fire control components were supplied by STI and the guns were assembled in the Philippines. A gun made in Georgetown would not have that marking. I also looked at my wife's Spartan, and the only markings on the slide are the STI roll mark on one side and the serial number on the opposite side, nothing that says South Korea. The finish was Parkerized, and the Spartan was never sold with a Bobtail, although any gunsmith can do one. It would be impossible to do a Bobtail on a Guardian. They were built on an Officer Frame and only a full size frame can be Bobtailed. The street price on the spartan was around $600.
IMHO, that gun is a fake, and I would certainly run the serial number and a photo if possible by STI before I plopped any money down for it. If you just want a cheap carry piece, fine, just be aware of what you are buying.

#6 ·
bobtail 1911 guns....

Personally, I do not care for a bobtail frame 1911, but for concealed carry, I don't like the bottom back corner of the frame "printing."

I like and use magwells, since they help to make fast reloads without fumbling.
For one of my EDC guns, I used a Smith & Alexander one piece stainless magwell and rounded the back bottom corner of the magwell. If I ever sell the gun, it is not a true bobtail, and this may still be viable for those that don't care for a bobtail frame gun.....

Attachments

#7 ·
It's been quite some time since I started this thread. And sorry I never brought it to a conclusion, with what I found out. So I got the serial number & called STI. You could tell in the voice of the fellow I spoke with, he was surprised I was calling about this pistol, and even asked where it was for sale. Just told him a local pawn shop. Anyway, he confirmed it was an STI pistol. A limited run of approximately 50, which they called the Black Guardian. Per the serial#, he told me this particular pistol had been bought by an STI employee. So I shot straight back to the pawn shop & bought it. Likely will not see another for sale. Previous owner must have carried it, as there is minor holster wear at the tip of the slide. Is an excellent shooter & took the place of my Desert Eagle 1911C when wanting a commander sized carry.
So anyway, it's a real STI. If you're lucky enough to come across one for sale, grab it.

#9 ·
There were 30 of these guns made. STI had some left over frames from Doosan, South Korea. They decided to build this guardian bobtail with the few frames they had and they sold at a street price of $800 - $950. All components are STI and built at their facility. I have email documentation from Alex at STI confirming this. I own 2 of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.