1911Forum banner

STI staccato P- disappointed

9K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Chowser 
#1 ·
More disappointed in STI than the gun itself. My buddy got a Staccato P

I was elated to see a test target with a ragged hole in the center, right on the bull! Then realized it's a photocopy of a test target. (gave them the benefit of the doubt because the target they copied was torn and I thought maybe they didn't want to put a torn up target in the bag)

Then the big day at the range... at 15 yards it was over a foot left and about 4-5 inches low. This with 5 different ammo types and both R & L handed shooters.

Bush league, STI, just Bush League.

Easy enough to fix but on a $2K gun, they could either shoot it for real andget it on a sheet of notebook paper!

Did you guys get a real target and were your guns on? (or close?)

#2 ·
flechero:

Yea, I got a small, real target with the pistol.....but i didn't put too much emphasis on it as the distance was ~15yds IIRC........

But when I got the opportunity to put the Stac P in a Ransom Rest, and ran through several different brands and weights of Factory ammo, I couldn't ask for any better than this!

Attachments

#3 ·
Your gun shoots great- I'm sure this one will too once it's corrected. But what a let down out of the box.

I wasn't expecting the gun to make any of us better shooters, but at least that STI include a real target, shot with the actual gun it was sent with... anything different is dishonest.

The target sent with the gun was NOT shot from this gun.

#8 ·
Well, IIRC, my test was done with 115g whatever ammo at 15yds. To be honest, I could have cared less what the test target results were as I will always test at 20-25yds and find a bullet weight and velocity the particular barrel/gun likes. I've never carried, competed, or chose to shoot 115g ammo in any 9mm I've ever owned.

Also, as an example, had my SA EMP4 come with included test target. IIRC, results were ~1.5" at 10 yds. I tested with every bullet weight that Atlanta Arms offered in their premium ammo, and 4-5" groups at 20 yds in a Ransom Rest was the best it would do.

I just don't put a lot of emphasis on a pistol's test target.....

#6 ·
The last few I've bought came with test targets, all but one about the same, my CM came with a group spread of about an inch which made my heart sink. But after shooting it it did that good hand held resting at 25yds. Now I understand or have heard that these are shot at 15yds and I don't know what they are suppose to demonstrate but I would guess they are also hand held..I have not put one in my Ransom rest because they polymer grips are iffy in that thing but I suspect they would do very well.
On the sights, I've had to change a few of my fronts sights to get POA/POI, usually came a few inches low at 25yds.
One thing I noticed on their 9's, as well as other 9's, different ammo gets significantly different impacts, like 2" different usually to one inside or the other. The 45's see to be the same impact on the few different ammo I've tried including my reloads.
On the ammo, I've never heard of PBR but some used WWB which I've never had any luck with and show the same or better groups, the ones that used PBR are worse than the WWB's.

Attachments

#7 ·
Since Ransom has a dedicated STI set of grips, I ordered a pair to use in my friends Rest. As long as I did my part, tightening down on the polymer frame was not an issue. Have also RR'd an aluminum framed SA 9mm, and I could over tighten the RR and bind up the trigger and mags. I feel confident I could do the same with a polymer grip. Key is to tighten until just feeling magazine slow to drop, then back off a bit.

STI uses local companies to produce most of their test ammo:

https://pbrammo.com/?SID=42d425f86178b7ce2a779cf937f1d9aa

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.