1911Forum banner

Did I pick wrong? New Grip

10K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  combat auto 
#1 ·
So I had put a DVC P on layaway and got a call asking if I wanted it with this new grip or if I wanted the old Dragon Scale.

Then I received this email about the new grip yesterday. Since I hadn’t seen or handled one with it, I picked the Dragon Scale.

Anyone handle the new grip? Did I pick wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Aesthetically, I like the tree bark and dragon scale look. I think it just has a more custom look... like someone took the time to individually make each textured notch. The new one looks pretty cookie cutter while the old is like an individual fingerprint.

Those are just my thoughts. I’ve only handled the tree bark so I can’t comment on feel. Are the new style grips dimensionally the same as the old. STI’s email makes it sound like the best thing since sliced bread

#3 · (Edited)
I don’t think anyone has handled the new one, myself included, so my next comments obviously should be taken with a grain of salt.

I do not like it. it does not look like you can take the magazine well off, which is a mistake. And the fact that STI is saying that this is a “slimmer grip” means that they are becoming like the rest of the manufacturers out there. For many of us, the draw of an STI is the slightly larger grip. For those that want the smaller one, you can get them cut down. Of course, the reverse could be true for those that want a larger grip but this sounds like it’s meant to be a “one-size-fits-all“. Additionally, you can order one with the dragon scales or Treebark grip or whatever you wanna call it, but you have to pay an “up charge“.

I am on the fence about which pistol to get next… I am toggling between two STIs… But I definitely don’t want the new grip whatsoever. I’m fine with the current offering but I’m not sure if I’m going to have a choice, which may make me not get an STI entirely. Again, in fairness, I have not held this grip yet but I’m not sure it will be easy to find one before ordering.

#4 · (Edited)
The older tree bark which I have is just OK, so it will likely be an improvement. Yes, got the e-mail also, if you want to swap grips let be know, I hear they screw right off :).

Either way, please give us a report once you shoot with the grip.

PS: Here is a thought, my gun is going back next week for the cracked slide, i am going to see if I can pay them to swap grips for me. Not sure why, because at first it wasn't bad, but the tree bark just feels a little slippery to me and I use rubber grip-tape in several spots to make it work.

#8 ·
Do you know if it is the same circumference as the treebark grips? STI claims it is smaller but, since you at least have the NEW one, you have have perspective

#15 ·
Remember the the Extreme Shooters worked over TreeBark grip it has been shipping with is a stock STI grip that has been reduced, reshaped and stippled.

I believe STI’s claim is that the new grip is smaller than their old stock grip which looks to be the case. Not smaller than the ES worked over grip.

#16 ·
Well, I finally got my label to return for a cracked slide, and am also asking them to give me the new grip (if possible). Of course I'll pay for it. I just don't get the traction I'd like from the tree bark. So as far as I am concern, only upside..Lots of tree, too little "bark" :).

#22 ·
Well, I am concern, only upside..Lots of tree, too little "bark" :).
The grippy’ist grips I’ve used to date were grips worked over by Alma Cole with his 40 grit Silicone Carbide application on them. It’s not even close to the Skate/StairTread tape I’ve used.

That then the SVI tactical and aggressive grips.

CA, did you ever consider switching out your grip on the CCC to a 120mm grip? That would solve your problem of 10 round limited 45 mags and get you into stock Gen2 45 mags.

#17 ·
STI 2011 grip texture...

Years ago, when I purchased an STI 2011 race gun for USPSA, I did not care for the grip texture in the hot and humid summers of Florida.....

I made a template for my STI 2011 grip out of paper, which allowed the paper template to wrap around the grip and even with the end of the frame, but not over the main spring housing. I then purchased black "Stair Tread Tape" at a local hardware store. I traced the outline of my STI grip template on the smooth back paper of the tape, cut it out with scissors, then peeled off the paper on the grip tape, and applied this to my STI 2011 polymer grip. It provided a much better grip, even when shooting with high humidity in the hot Florida summers.

I still use the stair tread tape to this day, and replace it when needed.....which is usually about every two years......:)

#24 ·
You have a 126mm grip. Factory 126mm 45acp mags are 11 round capacity.

The 120mm grip is currently used on the DVC-C and has been used on other STI carry guns in the past. Factory 120mm mags are 10 round mags and they come in Gen2 format like you’ve been looking for.

You can use 120mm-170mm mags in a 120mm grip, any STI format length. But you can’t use a 120mm mag in a 126mm grip, it will not seat.

The only drawback is you will not be able to use a magwell. I have seen 1 example where someone somehow adapted one to work but I wasn’t interested in how at the time and didn’t ask the right questions.

Remember that the stock STI grips (of any length) already have a bevel on them similar to a standard 1911 magwell. I personally do not train/practice reloads with a gun that has a magwell installed. It’s not necessary and can cover up sloppy reloads.

It’s a possible solution to your problem. I’m sure that STI is not pushing checkmate to produce the 10r 126mm mags. There’s just not a big market out there for them. It didn’t sound like MBX was very interested in making them either when I reached out to them on another members behalf.

#25 ·
Thanks for the info D'...I don't think we will ever see a 10R Gen 2 45 mag either. So this approach will certainly be something for me to consider. So far, I still have 2 Gen 1's which work fine (and a 3rd which is crap). When 1 more craps out I may have no choice but to give up the magwell...

I'll be calling STI tomorrow, it will be 1 week since they got my gun, and I'd like to get their view on what they will be doing to replace the cracked slide. While I have them, I'll also bounce some of the mag issues off them.

#26 ·
Spoke with STI today as I am about to order my new pistol. Probably going to be the Staccato-P DUO. They told me they are catching up on orders and things have started to slow down. Then, of course, I asked which grip I was going to get because presently there are three different ones floating out there: the tree bark style, the new style with the removable magwell, and the new style without a removable magwell.

The gentleman stated I would be getting one of the new styles. However, the company has not yet decided whether or not they are going to make it the removable or the integrated magazine well. If it is the integrated one, he stated that all current attachable magazine wells would still work, which is refreshing to know.

#27 ·
Hmmm, I ordered a P Duo at the beginning of October and have not heard anything.

#30 ·
Which grip are you looking for? The ES grip is available directly through Extreme Shooters Inc. I’m sure you could get one of the new STI grips through Dawson Precision or Brazos Gunworks. Bob at Brazos is a moderator on this sub forum. 1911store.com is Brazos’ retail website.

#31 ·
JFWIW, Paul at STI told me yesterday they are (still) working on 10R 45 acp mags to fit the CCC type of pistols. The first attempt by the vendor was not approved by STI, so the vendor is trying again. No ETA...Basically the same situation as the last few times I asked them...Right now, I'm on hold until they tell me how they will resolve my cracked slide (see update I posted in my cracked slide thread).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.