1911Forum banner

.38 Super Ammo Compatibility

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Rwehavinfunyet 
#1 ·
I’m having an issue with my 38 Super DVC OPEN ammo compatibility. It works with a .38 Super Comp ammo manufactured by Atlanta Arms but wouldn’t work with a .38 Super Auto by FIOCCHI. I called STI and was told that I have to bring my gun to a gunsmith to have the extractor re-tuned. Anyone has this issue? Resolution?

#2 · (Edited)
It works with a .38 Super Comp ammo manufactured by Atlanta Arms but wouldn’t work with a .38 Super Auto by FIOCCHI.

Wouldn't work ! What does it do ???

OK, let me guess. The 38 Super Auto rounds would start to go into the chamber, but stop because the rim would not slide up under the extractor ?

Anyway, 38 Super Comp rims are the same size as the body, 38 Super Auto rims are bigger than the body, so that is why you may need to have the extractor re-tuned.

My 2011 that I put together myself, I ground off some meat at the middle of the extractor and make it a little thinner, set it up for 38 Super Comp, but the extractor now is more flexible and it will feed regular 38 Super rounds also.

#9 ·
.38 super and .38 super comp......

Since the brass is not the same spec., use the proper ammo choice with a properly set up extractor..... A barrel with the extractor tension set up to shoot .38 super will work fine, but as you have found out, it is not reliable when mixing .38 super rounds with .38 super comp rounds.

I have fired roughly 300K rounds of hot .38 super loads in USPSA competition over 35 years of shooting. I have never had an issue when using .38 super, and never felt the need that the .38 super comp case was more reliable.....

I prefer to use .38 super cases, and do not want the hassle of using .38 super comp brass...… I hope using an Aftec extractor works for anyone when switching from .38 super to .38 super comp ammo..... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.