About to piss off alot of members? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-26-2020, 11:41 AM

About to piss off alot of members?

Typically, I strive to keep all my firearms in pristine condition and try to purchase only 95% or better guns.
However, my daily carry gun that sees most of the holster time is my Colt Lightweight Enhanced Officers 45acp that I'm "Wilsonizing" and had a pretty worn finish on the muzzle and slide when I got it about a year ago. So, I decided to help it along a bit.
Now as I watch the finish diminish bit by bit taking it in and out of my holster it doesn't bother me anymore and only enhances it.
I certainly would NEVER do this to a perfect finish, but this one seemed to be asking for it from day one and I'm really pleased with the results. I'll have to admit, the pictures don't do it justice, it looks pretty cool in hand.
For many, I understand why you "don't get it" but I think it's a great alternative for a daily carried gun that's getting beat'n up already.
The first picture is when I first got it and the finish has only gone down hill since, so...
Let the hate begin. lol
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0850.JPG   IMG_1238.JPG   IMG_1237.JPG   IMG_1239.JPG   IMG_1240.JPG   IMG_1241.JPG  

Old 03-26-2020, 11:51 AM

Is that "assembly scratch" part of your "Wilsonizing"?

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 03-26-2020, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Nobody's going to care what you do with a recent production Colt that's not a collectible. Had you done this with a pristine 1930s National Match, well that's another story. For newer guns however, do as you please as they're just tools.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Perdido View Post
Is that "assembly scratch" part of your "Wilsonizing"?
Nope, that was a present from the previous owner that didn't know how to disassemble a 1911 properly. hahaha
Old 03-26-2020, 12:41 PM

A shooter. Have fun. In my shooty collection I bought a 1985 all steel. I was curious about the Officers as in 1985 I bought a Detonics as a backup to the Colt Gov (1978) which was my main carry back then. I had a lot of fear and loathing for the Series 80 mechanical firing pin safety Colt introduced in 1983 back then. When I found a 85 Officers ACP in nice shape at a LGS with box and papers a few years ago for about $600 I thought it would be fun to get it and shoot it alongside my 85 Detonics.

The Detonics came with wood stocks, which I still have but I put Pachmayer wrap arounds on it as my little finger has no place to go with that short grip.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:55 PM

Looks to me that you purposely distressed the edges. No way that was from carrying and removing from holster for a year. To each their own I guess.

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 03-26-2020, 01:00 PM

Some guns are like tools....they get wear & tear.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:05 PM

I'm looking forward to my 99% Black-T finish Pro showing some character.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:11 PM

Some people refinish guns like that and there is a name for it....

"distressed finish"

I'm not kidding
Old 03-26-2020, 01:24 PM
Administrator

I have no problem with honest wear, but wear or damage from me being careless drives me up the wall. As for "distressed finishes"... to me it's like those expensive jeans teenagers buy that come straight off the rack with rips and holes in them. If they really want jeans like that I have plenty that got that way through actual use. I'm certainly not going to pay for the privilege!

Having said that that, I've seen people do "distressed finishes" on AK rifles to make them look like they came back from the 'Stan, and they looked pretty cool.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfut808 View Post
Some people refinish guns like that and there is a name for it....

"distressed finish"

I'm not kidding
Hey, just maybe I'm on to something? lol
Old 03-26-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Looks to me that you purposely distressed the edges. No way that was from carrying and removing from holster for a year. To each their own I guess.
Ya think? hahaha
Old 03-26-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I have no problem with honest wear, but wear or damage from me being careless drives me up the wall. As for "distressed finishes"... to me it's like those expensive jeans teenagers buy that come straight off the rack with rips and holes in them. If they really want jeans like that I have plenty that got that way through actual use. I'm certainly not going to pay for the privilege!

Having said that that, I've seen people do "distressed finishes" on AK rifles to make them look like they came back from the 'Stan, and they looked pretty cool.
Personally, it really "irks" me getting even honest wear from a holster that I wont even put most of my guns in one. When I bought this Colt it had a decent amount of honest holster wear and has only gotten worse since then, it's the perfect size to carry wearing anything I've found, so now the extra wear doesn't bother me anymore.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:48 PM

I think it looks well loved.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:17 PM

I think it looks good. The finish is similar to the Colt Hawk done by Nighthawk shown in a post/thread of the same name.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:31 PM

My first gamer gun from the 80's got new sights in the mid 90's requiring machine work. While at the G/S he called to say he had his "hot tank" is ready to go and would bead blast and refinish it for free! What a deal right. When I got it back it looked beautiful! BUT...years of honest wear and character had been removed! All of a sudden it was just another gun!

I'll never refinish another gun to cover up honest wear, damage maybe!

Smiles,
Old 03-26-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
I think it looks good. The finish is similar to the Colt Hawk done by Nighthawk shown in a post/thread of the same name.
Actually brad, that one and the one Wilson has is what got me really considering it. Cabbott has one too that's done very similar to the way I did mine coincidently. I hate getting the tiniest little scratch on any of my guns, so this was truly therapeutic for me. lol
Old 03-26-2020, 02:41 PM

I always say, their gun, their choice.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:19 PM

The SCG I've carried for a few years has finish wear like that, no biggie.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray burge View Post
The first picture is when I first got it and the finish has only gone down hill since, so...
The wearing of the finish looks very classy!
Old 03-26-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray burge View Post
Actually brad, that one and the one Wilson has is what got me really considering it. Cabbott has one too that's done very similar to the way I did mine coincidently. I hate getting the tiniest little scratch on any of my guns, so this was truly therapeutic for me. lol
Think of the gun's finish as a wear item, just like your tire treads.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:01 PM

Looks good. You have a good eye for balance. What did you use?
Old 03-26-2020, 06:02 PM

The only person needing approval is You, the owner; the rest are only opinons. Were your gun collectable, many Colt's fans would be sad for sure.
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

It's his pistol, and I hope he gets to enjoy it for many years. I can't say it offends me at all.
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0025xx View Post
Looks good. You have a good eye for balance. What did you use?
Thanks, green scotch bright pad.