If I ever need parts for my Para am I in trouble? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-01-2020, 06:28 PM

If I ever need parts for my Para am I in trouble?

I have a Para Ops I bought new about 20 years ago. So far it still runs like a sewing machine, no problems whatsoever, but since I do shoot it regularly I know sooner or later something is going to break. I know (I think) that Para is completely out of business. I know (I think) Para was bought out by Remington but now they have given up. In reading here it seems like if I ever need a replacement part I will just have to ask around to some of the misc parts suppliers and hope they can help me. Have I understood the situation correctly? If I am right, I am tempted to sell it before it breaks and buy another Kimber I have my eye on.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:02 PM

I am not sure exactly what model you have but I have a P13 frame wiih a P12 top and standard extractors, firing pins , stops and springs etc are common parts, only exclusive part seems to be mag catch due to wide body. I also have an LTC which seems to use common parts except Para's exclusive sear spring .
Old 03-02-2020, 07:49 AM

Williams Gun company does warranty work for Remington Arms on their pistols. They have my remington recon 9mm now fixing a mistake of mine. While talking to the gunsmith about the recon i told him I had a PARA recon in 45 and was told if I ever need any work done on it they do warranty service on Para. Told him it was not cycling as it should and he said to send it in and he would work on it, i Changed the recoil spring and fixed my issues so I never sent that gun it.. Just a FYI. #810-653-2131. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2020, 10:29 AM

Para repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1895 View Post
Williams Gun company does warranty work for Remington Arms on their pistols. They have my remington recon 9mm now fixing a mistake of mine. While talking to the gunsmith about the recon i told him I had a PARA recon in 45 and was told if I ever need any work done on it they do warranty service on Para. Told him it was not cycling as it should and he said to send it in and he would work on it, i Changed the recoil spring and fixed my issues so I never sent that gun it.. Just a FYI. #810-653-2131. Good luck
Hey thanks a lot. Williams and phone number are now in my list of stuff to remember.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:44 PM

I think that if you also own a Para LDA model, then yes, you may be in trouble. If you own the 'regular' Para wide-bodies, you should be fine. After all, mag catches and triggers don't fail all that often.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:27 PM

The P12 and P10 have unique mainspring housings, grips, and sear springs. The P10 has a unique mainspring cap, mainspring, grip bushings, safety, and hammer strut; I don't know about the P12. I *think* the P13 bits are all standard Commander size, but I don't know for sure.

The main difference is in grip length; the P12 and P10 have shorter grips than a regular 1911, so all the bits affected by that change.

The single stack guns would have the same parts different from standard, except for the grips and bushings.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:34 PM

and BTW, the mag release for a RIA double stack (it's metal) replaces the plastic mag catch Para uses...
Old 03-04-2020, 05:40 PM

I had 2 LDAs 9mm and 45 for CCW loved them both but when a magazine spring went bad and I could not get parts and a Wilson mag would fit but not function I sold them.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:14 AM

I acquired my pistol from Para back in the '70s in a swap deal. I had bought a WartHog that was a real POS. After sending it back about three times for various issues I asked they just swap it for a different pistol entirely, and they went along with it. What I asked for, and received, was a OPS, PCWX745S with 3.5" barrel. It doesn't have any PXX type designation. I have performed a technical comparison with other officer models of various makes (that means I laid mine on top of theirs) and it is the same size. The small manual I got with it is for ten various types of Para pistols, and of course in the text they make reference to various designations and characteristics but don't specify which of them apply to which pistols. But anyway, I guess I'll hold on to it and hope for the best. I'm 80 years old so it may outlive me.

Last edited by SwampDawg; 03-05-2020 at 10:20 AM. Reason: add date and other stuff
Old 03-05-2020, 10:44 PM

I have had good luck buying the after market magazines and fitting them with Wolff springs. The original springs were oft problematic... I have one of the LDA TAC 4 models. nice size. I picked up a complete spare parts set about a year ago...
Old 03-07-2020, 09:26 AM

Yeah I remember my original magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppro View Post
I have had good luck buying the after market magazines and fitting them with Wolff springs. The original springs were oft problematic... I have one of the LDA TAC 4 models. nice size. I picked up a complete spare parts set about a year ago...
Got two magazines with the pistol. Both had plastic followers. One of the followers chipped and of course canted over in about a year. When I took them apart one of the springs was a full loop shorter than the other one. I tried a Kimber mag from one of my other pistols and it worked perfectly, so now I have 6 Kimber mags that work perfectly in both.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:40 AM

Parts unique to PO double stack SA trigger guns are the trigger, mag catch, grip panels, hammer and, sorta, the sear.

Later Para mag catches are polymer along with mainspring housings and triggers. I looked around for metal aftermarket and, IIRC, Dawson makes them still but you may need to await restocking. I found good aftermarket stuff for it in an auction. So a Dlask magnesium trigger, Dawson steel mag catch and VZ grips filled the bill. Oh, I also used a decent takeoff checkered mainspring housing. These parts took care of polymer parts replacement.

If you ever need a sear you will need a low mass type speed part with a good bit of material relief inside the upper arc. The standard cut sear design will not work with Para’s hammer design. Of course, the simpler fix would be to use any 1911 replacement hammer and sear set of your choosing, I did that as well since previous ownership fubar’d the sear.

Knowing the RIA doible stack uses same design parts but you may want to hold out for a Dawson or similar quality part.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 03-07-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRET View Post
and BTW, the mag release for a RIA double stack (it's metal) replaces the plastic mag catch Para uses...
Unfortunately, I found my Warthog wouldn't accept an RIA mag catch, or the metal "Para" mag catch I got from Sarco. The anti-rotation cutout wasn't quite big enough and the radius at the main hole was different. Sarco had some separate Para mag catch pieces, which I bought, and the right side of the separate piece fit perfectly. So Para has at *least* two, non-interchangeable mag catch shapes. And all the Para bits I bought were metal, not plastic.

Well, it's a Para. They're like that...

Also, the mag catch I put together from pieces is *very* stiff, both with the spring from the complete Para catch that doesn't fit, and with a replacement GI spring. I can push the button with one thumb, but it takes some effort. I can't even move it with my index finger. So there's something wonky inside; maybe a standard spring is right at coil-bind or something. That's one of the details I still need to sort out with the Franken-CCO.

Last edited by TRX302; 03-23-2020 at 04:06 AM.